Hangartner

cale

He played terribly and they were very unhappy with his physical conditioning.

There's someone else it was fun to diss but folks have been quiet about lately: Russ Brandon. He is doing a GREAt job putting this team together and deserves a lot of credit. I really like this guy. But he's only a marketing guy I guess. :rolleyes:

On one of the other message boards, someone said that Walker was reportedly a bad influence in the lockerroom. That sounds like a reason to get rid of him as quickly as they did.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On one of the other message boards, someone said that Walker was reportedly a bad influence in the lockerroom. That sounds like a reason to get rid of him as quickly as they did.

Not to mention that after 2 weeks out of professional football you're going to need a forklift to haul Walker out of his house.

And the losses of Fowler and Walker especially are addition by subtraction. You know the 2009 Bills starting O-line was bad when 40% of its lineman are currently not on an NFL roster.

Now lets get stupid and have some fun-

Is it too early to start talking Pro Bowl for Wood? If Lynch & Jackson combine for over 2000 yards rushing wouldn't at least one of our O-lineman have to make it to Honolulu?

correction Miami

I have been watching him, he can play. What an improvement over Fowler!!

And the losses of Fowler and Walker especially are addition by subtraction. You know the 2009 Bills starting O-line was bad when 40% of its lineman are currently not on an NFL roster.

I love how we finally have a freakin' center again. No Trey Teague or Melvin Fowler baloney anymore.

What, no love for Preston and his inadequacies?!?

Very good OL play generally so far! I was very impressed with how they picked up the Pats pass rush (though to a great degree this was helped by Belicheat generally dt'ing both WR as this drop the pass blitz down from a complex zone blitz type of scheme to more straightforwad one on one blocking), Add in the no huddle so there was minimal time for NE to hatch and change rushing schemes and the TE quick release and all of this was just as big (in fact bigger part) of the story as good player performances.

Also, before we get all quishy on Bell, even he said his footwork was lousy. He still need a tremendous amount of work on the fundamentals and my guess is that he not only is a full season away from adequacy at LT but likely a season plus.

His inexperience is reflected in the large number of false starts he has and he clearly has gotten the message that if you get beat (and he has and will some more when he faces the best of LDEs) then just drag the opponent to the carpet,

The OL is far more effective than last year's unit (though after only two games it is hard to tell I would judge them as not as effective as the 07 unit but we will see). A big advantage came not only from Belicheat simplifying their task with the dts but Tamps Bay likely being the weakest team we will face all season.

Bell is fast Jerry Jabbler but not strong. Luckily for us athleticism is the most important trait for a LT and Bell is well above average in that area. If Bell can still improve in the strength department we may have a long term answer at LT but if not he'll be a guy you can get by with but someone you're always looking to upgrade. Hopefully, he stays committed to the weight room..........As for Hangartner, I'm glad we picked him up as well.

I agree, it's nice to finally have a good center again. The O-line has been doing way above from what anyone could have expected from them.

Hangman is doing exactly what a good center is supposed to do.......not get his name called but keep his QB off the turf and the OL together......

I am happy with this move it was a good one.

He gets leverage and push even against some of those bigger nose tackles. I am pleasantly suprised. Looks like we have some players finally on the line.

Umm, dissing Donte? No, that was last week. Ellison? Well, he has been making plays. I don't know....where did they go?

I've thought drafting Ngata over Whitner was a dumb move that set this program back a few years. I'm glad Whitner is finally living up to his potential in year 4. About time don't you think. I don't hate the guy or even think he is an awful player. But for your No. 8 pick he had better produce and produce well.

I'll also give you another hint as to why he is playing so well. Guess when his contract is up? ;-) Go see his FaceBook page and check out what he wants the Bills organization to do. My guess is the team lets him walk and plugs Byrd in.

That being said - I'm glad he cares...But he still has to make plays.

C

Hangartner has played very well, and the two rookie guards obviously have played far better than expected. Jackson is obvious, and Stroud has been stellar.

By far, IMO, the MVP on this team through two games has been TO though. There is zero question he has completely changed how teams line up against the Bills. There is zero question he opens up the field on runs and passes. Take TO out, regardless of how many passes he catches or drops, and this is a very pedestrian offense again. I would argue that Jackson would have half as many yards from scrimmage if the safeties are up in the box and we have no ability to stretch the field like in previous years.

I also think AVP has made a significant and noticeable difference.

Hangartner has played very well, and the two rookie guards obviously have played far better than expected. Jackson is obvious, and Stroud has been stellar.

By far, IMO, the MVP on this team through two games has been TO though. There is zero question he has completely changed how teams line up against the Bills. There is zero question he opens up the field on runs and passes. Take TO out, regardless of how many passes he catches or drops, and this is a very pedestrian offense again. I would argue that Jackson would have half as many yards from scrimmage if the safeties are up in the box and we have no ability to stretch the field like in previous years.

I also think AVP has made a significant and noticeable difference.

I would agree. TO has changed the way the offense is defensed. Whether he's catching balls or not, his value to the offense is undeniable. It's been about 6 years since we've had 2 viable WRs to take safeties out of the box. I just hope he realizes that he doesn't have to catch 5-7 balls a game to be liked in Buffalo.

But AVP may be the single biggest impact on our offense. Even with TO being here, I had zero confidence the coaching staff would use him properly. And throughout the preseason, although TO wasn't playing, we were seeing the same boring, predictable, pathetic offense we've seen for several years.

Enter AVP. And literally overnight, the offense is everything it should be. It has rhythm. It's far less predictable. They're using plays to set up other plays. They actually appeared to game plan for the Bucs... wait did I just say that? I know its unthinkable. They're playing to the players strengths. It almost looks like a real NFL team out there.

Back to the original point... Hangartner, as well as the entire O Line, has been a very pleasant surprise. I had little expectations for any of them. Deep down I didn't think they'd be as bad as some around here were portending. However, I think they've outperformed what I had expected to see. Of course, its only been 2 weeks and we have a long way to go; so I'm not getting my hopes up yet. But it is encouraging to see the line play the way it has.

Ellison has 26 tackles. What a turnaround!

Tackles are not a relevant statistic for measuring effectiveness. The reason I say that is because typically, the fewer tackles a team has to make, the more effective they are on defense. You want to limit offensive repetitions, and all that having a high total of tackles indicates is that the offense is getting a lot of reps to create tackling opportunities. The tackles statistic also does not measure where the tackles occur. Thus if Ellison is making half of his tackles 7 yards beyond the line of scrimmage, that should be counted as ineffective. It doesn't mean Ellison is playing badly, because I know he isn't. All I'm saying is that his high tackle total is not indicative of him making an impact to the degree that Hangartner and Fred Jackson and Trent Edwards are making.

No way is TO the MVP... how could you give an MVP award to a half hearted selfish person. You have never coached a sport if that's your opinion.

Give credit to the team playing together as a team...MVP would hands down go to Fred Jackson #1 for his outstanding performance and effort and #2 For stepping in and filling a void left by a "pro bowler."

Owens...MVP.....I just threw up in my mouth.