Where the announcers right in tampa game?

toddgurley

IF you watched the game vs Tampay yesterday on fox, one of the announcers (will try and find out who) said atleast 2 or 3 times that Trent throws a different deep ball to TO than he does to LEE.

He said that TO's deep ball has more arch which allows TO to run under it and catch up to it. For LEE, the announcers said the ball has less arch .

It did appear he had a point based on the replays

DId you guys see any difference

Eiether way i was impressed with the LEE and TO TD"S but TO has to make that catch that he drops before the TD.

GO BILLS

If it is true, not sure that it is, it might be because a deep ball to Evans and his speed is 60-75 yards downfield, while a deep one to Owens, who is proficient at running after the catch, is only 40-55 yards down field. Trent is accurate but doesn't have a cannon attached to his shoulder. That is one thing that Losman had over Trent is arm strength.

I also think they are different kinds of throws. On the TD to TO, it was single coverage, so the idea was to throw the ball out in front and let TO run under it. The TD to Lee had a safety coming over, so the idea was not to throw it out in front but to loft it so that it hit right at the front corner, drifting away from the safety. Neither is an easy throw, but they are both different.

may have somethin to do with mechanics of trent's throws.

the bombs to owens were from the right side(natural throwing side), while evans were from throwing to the left.

That's not true. All five of the long throws (TD to Evans, near-TD to Evans, TD to Owens, drop by Owens, rainbow to Evans right after the Owens drop) were to the right sideline.

If it is true, not sure that it is, it might be because a deep ball to Evans and his speed is 60-75 yards downfield, while a deep one to Owens, who is proficient at running after the catch, is only 40-55 yards down field. Trent is accurate but doesn't have a cannon attached to his shoulder. That is one thing that Losman had over Trent is arm strength.

I have to say, the whole argument that Trent doesn't have an arm is kind of over hyped. Looking at the game tape of the throw that TO dropped, that throw was about 55 yards in the air on a rope. AND he had a DE sprinting around the corner in his face about to drill him.

I think Trent and his receivers need to continue working on their timing. I think it is just chance that the 2 throws to TO were timed better than the throws to Evans. Even the touchdown throw to Evans was more of a lofted throw as opposed to a deeper throw that a WR needs to catch up to. Well placed by Trent though. I really like what AVP is doing with Trent, and I think it will only get better.

I have to say, the whole argument that Trent doesn't have an arm is kind of over hyped. Looking at the game tape of the throw that TO dropped, that throw was about 55 yards in the air on a rope. AND he had a DE sprinting around the corner in his face about to drill him.

I think Trent and his receivers need to continue working on their timing. I think it is just chance that the 2 throws to TO were timed better than the throws to Evans. Even the touchdown throw to Evans was more of a lofted throw as opposed to a deeper throw that a WR needs to catch up to. Well placed by Trent though. I really like what AVP is doing with Trent, and I think it will only get better.

down side to T.O. is that over the last few years, he has not had the best hands. that dropped pass was a perfect throw. nothing to do with timing.

Assuming that this is a planned thing between Trent and Lee, I seriously hope they reconsider going forward. Those duck throws are ugly and ripe for the picking. If you want to throw that ball to Hardy then that's one thing, but Lee doesn't have the height or the vertical leap. Besides, Lee's best receptions were bombs from Losman that were more like the one's that Trent was throwing to TO. Why the change now?

may have somethin to do with mechanics of trent's throws.

the bombs to owens were from the right side(natural throwing side), while evans were from throwing to the left.

Evans TD was to the right and that one was thrown pretty well.

But the under throw in the EZ was also right.

down side to T.O. is that over the last few years, he has not had the best hands. that dropped pass was a perfect throw. nothing to do with timing.

I agree completely there. But, the throws to Evans were off a bit (excluding the TD). That can be fixed.

I heard that too. Probably is a couple of factors.

Height could be one. Also, Lee is very fast and Trent still seems unsure of how much air to put under the ball. Another thing is that Lee usually lines up on Trent's left, it could be simple mechanics of Trent coming across his body rather than getting his feet oriented correctly for a deep pass to that side.

I too have noticed that he struggles a bit putting it where Lee would need it. There have been more than a few occasions where Lee has had to slow up, or where the ball has been way overthrown. The last few years Trent has had to drop it in between a safety and a corner underneath if he dared to throw it deep and usually hasn't been given a lot of man coverage. For that reason he has not taken too many shots downfield. Maybe he just needs more practice.

Perhaps practice will make perfect this year.

Well said ... not sure if it was intentional but the throws were different. The balls to Lee did hang in the air more.

i don't know the exact numbers, but TO averages about one big drop per game over the last few seasons..

so far he is keeping up to that stat.

the dropped ball was not Trent's fault, his only poor throw of the day was the INT

i don't know the exact numbers, but TO averages about one big drop per game over the last few seasons..

so far he is keeping up to that stat.

the dropped ball was not Trent's fault, his only poor throw of the day was the INT

In previous stops he led the league in passes thrown to, so it wasn't a huge deal that he also led the league in passes dropped. He probably isn't going to get as many opportunities so the drops might be less in number but more impactful.

Does that make any sense? :rolleyes: