McGee signs contract extention

Casey D

So we will at least have McKelvin, McGee, and Corner ready to go next year, with Youboty a possible departure, and Ellis Lankster maybe competing for the dimespot with Drayton Florence? There is no reason for this team to acquire a CB in 2010.

Now if only it were so clear with safety.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we will at least have McKelvin, McGee, and Corner ready to go next year, with Youboty a possible departure, and Ellis Lankster maybe competing for the dimespot with Drayton Florence? There is no reason for this team to acquire a CB in 2010.

Great signing. DB is set. Barring injury, I don't think they'll bring in another safety. They need to see what Byrd brings to the table.

One obvious need is going to be WR. People are saying that the Bills are deep there and that's true as long as they have TO. If he leaves, then they have one good receiver and a bunch of #3 and #4 guys. That's not a strong group. Maybe someone will step up, but I think the Bills need to look for a burner in the first couple of round of the draft.

Another early need will be DL. Schoebel and Stroud aren't getting any younger, and they're the two best players. Maybe Maybin will replace Shoebel, but who replaces Stroud?

It will be Whitner and Byrd. Whitner is signed through 2010. Although I guess we could be looking at a 2nd or 3rd rounder on his replacement.

My bad and it has been corrected. Anyhow, McGee has been a great player for us. Solid corner and physical. As good as a CB he has been, I thought he was an even better KR but that duty has gone to McKelvin. I guess the Bills finally learned something after letting the likes of Nate Odomes, Jeffrey Burris, Thomas Smith, Jabrari Greer, Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements go leave via free agency. It sucks redrafting the position and prevents you from filling other voids when good players have to be replaced.

The first round pick/first contract-and-out merry-go-round has served this team so well, for so many years. Why abandon it now?

You may be tempted to point out that a) it's been well over ten years since the Bills' last playoff win, and b) that Nate Odomes left the team at about the same time; thereby inaugurating the CB merry-go-round. You might want to use these data to draw into question my conclusion that the CB merry-go-round has, in fact, served us well. But you'd be wrong. And the reason you'd be wrong is . . . um . . . okay, I can't think of that reason right now.

But you have to admit that extending starting CBs beyond their first contracts is relatively new ground for this team, at least in the era of free agency. Newness and uncertainty often go together. You may try to rebut that by pointing out that, with this contract extension, we seem to be heading into the uncharted waters of actually having a competent front office! I'd tend to agree with that. But what then? We know exactly what to expect from an incompetent front office. For Bills' fans--especially for those who've started following the team since 1999 or so--a competent front office is something new, utterly alien. Now that the front office has its act together, there's no telling how it might act! I'm sure this has got to have a lot of Bills fans nervous, or at least, very, very confused.