(OT) College football...So OU wins out...

ICE

And won't go to the championship? That is what damn near every halftime and post game show is saying. Because the SEC is a 'tougher' conf. If OU wins out, And Auburn does....OU misses out?

How in the flying !@#$ is that? OU plays a conf. championship, USC doesn't. As of this last Monday OU's Opponents had a better win loss record than both USC and Auburn. And OU had to play it's toughest games on the fuggin road!

so why bother? Why bother worrying about going undefeated? It means nothing these days. It's bull stevestojan. How the hell does Bob Stoops walk in and tell his guys that a team in a MUCH Weaker conf (USC) goes but they dont? Esp when USC plays no confrence Championship?

College ball is so fugged up it isn't funny.

The BCS system is starting to hurt the way I look at college football for the reasons you mentioned. IMO Auburn deserves to go but I would not replace Oklahoma with Auburn, I would replace USC with Auburn. The Pac-10 is a pathetic excuse for a conference this season and the fact that they exclude SOS from the formula now is pure BS.

Would somebody please implement a freaking playoff system? Until you let the players decide who's best the system will suck.

And won't go to the championship?  That is what damn near every halftime and post game show is saying. Because the SEC is a 'tougher' conf. If OU wins out, And Auburn does....OU misses out?

How in the flying !@#$ is that?  OU plays a conf. championship, USC doesn't. As of this last Monday OU's Opponents had a better win loss record than both USC and Auburn.  And OU had to play it's toughest games on the fuggin road!

so why bother?  Why bother worrying about going undefeated? It means nothing these days. It's bull stevestojan. How the hell does Bob Stoops walk in and tell his guys that a team in a MUCH Weaker conf (USC) goes but they dont? Esp when USC plays no confrence Championship?

College ball is so fugged up it isn't funny.

115881[/snapback]

ICE while I agree with you on this for the most part, you really don't have any room to complain about the BCS. OU had no business playing in the title game last year after the beating they took against Kansas State and yet got in there. They followed that by embarrassing themselves in the Sugar Bowl (yes I know the score we close, but the game wasn't that close).

OU fans shouldn't be complaining about the BCS. They have benefitted from it, now they might get stung.

College football will NEVER be right until there is a playoff system. EVERYONE agrees on that.

They need a playoff system, it's as plain as that. Imagine if you will playoff games involving USC, Oklahoma, Auburn, California, Wisconsin, Texas, Michigan, & Utah. All of these teams have played great football, and each of them deserve at least a chance at playing for the national title, or does that make too much sense?

Well, that would mean the end of sweetheart sponsorship deals with the big bowl games on and around New Years. It becomes a different animal when you implement a playoff b/c they won't have nearly the ratings for their 3-hour commercial if games are broken up over a couple or few weeks. Why do you think they implemented the BCS? It let them keep the advertising structure that was already in place. Sadly, it's all about $$.

Every year there is a fluke team that flirts with or goes undefeated. Last year is was Texas Christian. Not to say they were a bad team, but no way would they have beaten a Miami or USC last year. As pointed out in the above post, the BCS is not going away any time soon. It's all about the money and not about college sports.

ICE while I agree with you on this for the most part, you really don't have any room to complain about the BCS.  OU had no business playing in the title game last year after the beating they took against Kansas State and yet got in there.  They followed that by embarrassing themselves in the Sugar Bowl (yes I know the score we close, but the game wasn't that close).

OU fans shouldn't be complaining about the BCS.  They have benefitted from it, now they might get stung.

College football will NEVER be right until there is a playoff system.  EVERYONE agrees on that.

115932[/snapback]

Pure Bull stevestojan! OU Was rated 3rd in both polls. I had no problem with that. Bob stoops even said 'Hey we will go wherever they put us'. OU Fan had NO Issue going to another bowl and being #3.

But when we are going to WIN the Big 12 and it's championship? NOW We get !@#$ed? So what the !@#$ are you saying BF? this is an intentional !@#$ing of OU to make up for last year? Sure seems like it to me!!!!

And Yeah it should be OU And Auburn the two that actually have a championship game!

Pure Bull stevestojan!  OU Was rated 3rd in both polls. I had no problem with that. Bob stoops even said 'Hey we will go wherever they put us'.  OU Fan had NO Issue going to another bowl and being #3. 

But when we are going to WIN the Big 12 and it's championship? NOW We get !@#$ed?  So what the !@#$ are you saying BF?  this is an intentional !@#$ing of OU to make up for last year? Sure seems like it to me!!!!

And Yeah it should be OU And Auburn the two that actually have a championship game!

116026[/snapback]

ICE I hardly think that computers are conspiring against OU.

OU looked good last night, I watched most of it. Auburn also looked good as did USC.

USC is a good football team. They are deserving of playing for a title. So is OU. So is Auburn.

As I said, college football needs a playoff system.

Pure Bull stevestojan!  OU Was rated 3rd in both polls. I had no problem with that. Bob stoops even said 'Hey we will go wherever they put us'.  OU Fan had NO Issue going to another bowl and being #3. 

But when we are going to WIN the Big 12 and it's championship? NOW We get !@#$ed?  So what the !@#$ are you saying BF?  this is an intentional !@#$ing of OU to make up for last year? Sure seems like it to me!!!!

116026[/snapback]

Come one ICE, can't have it both ways. The rules of the BCS say BCS#1 plays BCS#2. Stoops, you and the rest of the OU fans can say what you want, but there was no choice last year. OU was in and shouldn't have been...because of a bad system. It was bad last year it is bad this year.

As for this year...give it a couple more weeks. Wisconsin dropped out yesterday. It is way too early for worry. That said, IMO if Auburn wins out they should be in. Flame me! :)

Auburn is behind OU and USC today for one reason and one reason only. Friggin preseason polls.

hey, i like the BSC.  It just breeds controversy.  For someone who doesn't watch college ball, like me, it makes it interesting to see who's getting screwed at the end.

116032[/snapback]

You may also get a kick out of watching the NCAA Selection Committee's announcement of which teams get into the NCAA Basketball tournament. Then, you get the drama you desire and you also get a TOURNAMENT to decide who the champion is.

You may also get a kick out of watching the NCAA Selection Committee's announcement of which teams get into the NCAA Basketball tournament.  Then, you get the drama you desire and you also get a TOURNAMENT to decide who the champion is.

116084[/snapback]

Yes, and hopefully one day the NCAA will have control to put together a selection committee for Division I football. Right now the big conferences control Division I football.

If Auburn, USC and Oklahoma all go undefeated, one very good team is going to be screwed. And if Utah and Boise St. go undefeated, I think they are getting screwed too. Sure, they may not be as good as the other three unbeatens, but they should get a shot to prove themselves-- just like St. Joseph's in men's basketball last season.

Yes, and hopefully one day the NCAA will have control to put together a selection committee for Division I football. Right now the big conferences control Division I football.

If Auburn, USC and Oklahoma all go undefeated, one very good team is going to be screwed. And if Utah and Boise St. go undefeated, I think they are getting screwed too. Sure, they may not be as good as the other three unbeatens, but they should get a shot to prove themselves-- just like St. Joseph's in men's basketball last season.

116088[/snapback]

I wouldn't rule Utah out in terms of how good they are. Boise State? I dunno. I think Utah is for real though. I've seen quite a few Utah games this year and they look pretty good. Defensively, I'm not sure how they'd fare against some of the teams out there (Cal, USC, and Auburn have a good offense/defense balance and would give them tough matchups), but offensively they're very tough.

In terms of a playoff, the whole thing stinks. A playoff system is the right thing to do, but the greedy powers that be in the conferences and the NCAA won't let it happen.

I wouldn't rule Utah out in terms of how good they are.  Boise State?  I dunno.  I think Utah is for real though.  I've seen quite a few Utah games this year and they look pretty good.  Defensively, I'm not sure how they'd fare against some of the teams out there (Cal, USC, and Auburn have a good offense/defense balance and would give them tough matchups), but offensively they're very tough. 

In terms of a playoff, the whole thing stinks.  A playoff system is the right thing to do, but the greedy powers that be in the conferences and the NCAA won't let it happen.

116092[/snapback]

R. Rich....you are partially right but to claim that the NCAA won't let it happen is simply inaccurate. The commissioners and presidents of the six BCS conferences (Big East, ACC, Big 12, Big 10, SEC and Pac-10) have complete power.

I agree with you re: Utah. They are outstanding and they deserve a chance. Even if they got to a BCS bowl and lost by 30, they have done enough this season (assuming they finish undefeated) to deserve the opportunity.

I don't think the defending champions should be punished because their conference hasn't gotten as greedy (yet) by playing a dumb conf. championship. This year, that extra game is hardly a disadvantage for Oklahoma given that Rutgers is probably better than any team from the Big 12 North.

While the Pac 10 certainly is not a deep conference, California IMO is better than Texas, or any other Big 12 team outside of Oklahoma.

The SEC is nasty so Auburn as to be in the title game if they run the table, though I still think there's a decent chance they get upset by either Alabama or Tennessee.

I don't think the defending champions should be punished because their conference hasn't gotten as greedy (yet) by playing a dumb conf. championship.  This year, that extra game is hardly a disadvantage for Oklahoma given that Rutgers is probably better than any team from the Big 12 North. 

While the Pac 10 certainly is not a deep conference, California IMO is better than Texas, or any other Big 12 team outside of Oklahoma. 

The SEC is nasty so Auburn as to be in the title game if they run the table, though I still think there's a decent chance they get upset by either Alabama or Tennessee.

116246[/snapback]

SEC is nasty? Alabama? OU beat them last year. Tenn? They are over rated along with LSU (Sorry Cajun, not nearly the same team as last year). so don't give me this crap.

if the SEC is so damn good then why is it OU has played the toughest sched based on opponents records so far?

Fox says it doesn't matter. OU Will finish 3rd.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2552048

so why bother? If I am stoops I sit my starters against Auburn. Why take a chance on getting them hurt if it means nothing? Win or lose we go to the b12 championship. Win it and we play Utah no matter what. so why bother.

It is to the point championships are not played on the field any longer. I am willing to put OU up against ANY TEAM out there. ANY TEAM on ANY Given day at a neutral site. As is USC And Aubrn fan. too bad big money won't allow it to happen.

Ice buddy, i'm pulling for the Sooners for ya man even though I want Auburn to represent the SEC. I'd love to watch OU put a beat down on USC in the Orange Bowl.

116290[/snapback]

Honestly brother it should be OU and Auburn. Won't happen though