What is your state's yearly vehicle registration fee?

Ramius

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that for 2 years????

I didn't think it was that much in VA? Do you have personlized tags? Or do they charge a difference for registration based on county? If so I didn't realize that.

Your property tax is cheap. On an 07 Camry I pay 450 for a year.

Chesterfield County got: $474.21 for an 09 Murano, and $102.53 for an 02 Pathfinder. Both of those include the $20 Registration Fee. License Plates are an additional fee, as if they were an Option! Then there's the annual Vehicle Safety Inspection.

You would think after all that plus; the Property Taxes, Sales Taxes and the Lottery, that VA would be rolling in dough but King Kane is always crying the Blues about how much the State is in the hole.

Lucky for us "The Recession is over!" ;)

Illinois used to be around 45 bucks, then some years ago... They raised it to 79.

I pay standard on my on car (79) and on the other... I pay around 102 bucks for Illinois and Michigan Canal plates... The extra 23 or so bucks a year gets donated into the Illinois and Michigan Canal fund... Which basically is for recreation and other stuff they use to keep the old areas of the canal open to recreation and other activities.

On my one car that I pay the standard 79 bucks, I will probably switch to a plate that benefits a cause... Like park districts or even a second set of I&M plates.

CyberDrive Illinois: Illinois Secretary of State

Illnois Pick-A-Plate

IL: I&M Plate

Emmisions testing is free and only done when the car gets older (I think around 4 years old). Yearly safety inspection was done away with many years ago (at least before I moved there) in Illinois.

Chesterfield County got: $474.21 for an 09 Murano, and $102.53 for an 02 Pathfinder. Both of those include the $20 Registration Fee. License Plates are an additional fee, as if they were an Option! Then there's the annual Vehicle Safety Inspection.

You would think after all that plus; the Property Taxes, Sales Taxes and the Lottery, that VA would be rolling in dough but King Kane is always crying the Blues about how much the State is in the hole.

Lucky for us "The Recession is over!" ;)

WOW! I think Iowa was like that (value of the vehicle) when I lived there back in the early 1990's... Pays to drive a beater!! Indiana may be like that or either it has changed.

Anyway... That is why they can get away with lower taxes... You just pay another way.

Oh... Driver's license renewal in IL is still 10 bucks every four years.

april 2009 2yr reg cost me $82.00 in ny.

fee is increasing as nys is issuing new plates to everyone........again.

fee goes even higher if you want to keep your current plate #

Nice thing about NY is that it is state wide and not by county... When I lived in Iowa, it was handled by county... I think FLA and other states (with the county name on plate) are registered through the county??... Probably why they have voting issues there since with voting too, things aren't centalized throughout the whole state. I did notice that after 2000 some FLA plates I saw did NOT have the county name on them... What is up with that? Illinois is central through the Sec of State.

Back to the plates... NYS is "forced plate registration" I believe... They will shred them on site when you surrender them... Illinois is so effed up that you don't have to surrender them... And years ago IL would issue the same number... Some people would get tickets in Chicago that they never even stepped foot in let alone drive too! ;):bag:

Delaware keeps crossing Kane's fictional border and stealing all our money

Is that for 2 years????

I didn't think it was that much in VA? Do you have personlized tags? Or do they charge a difference for registration based on county? If so I didn't realize that.

Your property tax is cheap. On an 07 Camry I pay 450 for a year.

1 year. It includes the cost of the city sticker or in this case the lack there of. Va Beach no longer issues stickers.

WOW! I think Iowa was like that (value of the vehicle) when I lived there back in the early 1990's... Pays to drive a beater!! Indiana may be like that or either it has changed.

Anyway... That is why they can get away with lower taxes... You just pay another way.

Oh... Driver's license renewal in IL is still 10 bucks every four years.

When we lived in Washington State, in the 80's-90's, the fee's got within spitting distance of $1000 annual, per vehicle. No Vehicle Safety Inspection but they did rip everyone off with an Emissions Test. Had to have the "pass slip" before you could renew your plates.

The Auto fees were carrying a whole lot of non driving related programs, including the State Ferry System. The Voter's finally got a Proposition passed to cut the fee's in half. There was a whole lot of crying and carrying on, on the State side, but somehow they survived. I can't remember but they may have raised the Sales Tax to cover the short fall.

The Virginia Personal proprty Tax was cut in half, about 10 years ago, with the promise that they would phase out the "other half." But that was promised by a different Governor and nobody seems to be talking about getting rid of the second half now.

1 year. It includes the cost of the city sticker or in this case the lack there of. Va Beach no longer issues stickers.

In Chicago and most suburbs you have to get a city sticker... I never knew if that was really legal? Isn't that like double registration. Chicago is around 100 bucks I think... My village isn't bad since it has always been 10 bucks a year per car to get a sticker... I use this:

StickerShield

Makes it easier to transfer in case you get a new car! Which probably isn't legal... So what! :devil:

Ohio increases as of 10/1/09:

Temp tags: $10.50 > $18.50.

Vanity plate renewal: $15 > $50 .

Also, increases in license renewal fees:

Renewal: $24.00 > $26.75.

Vision test: $1.00 > $2.75 (it is required, and you have to pay for that 30 seconds of civil servant time).

Transaction Fee: $1.00 > $3.50 (this is handed over to the deputy registrar, whatever that is).

Lamination fee: Remains at $1.50 (yes - you pay extra for the required digital photo and the plastic).

So in total, $27.50 > $34.50.

Ohio increases as of 10/1/09:

Temp tags: $10.50 > $18.50.

Vanity plate renewal: $15 > $50 .

Also, increases in license renewal fees:

Renewal: $24.00 > $26.75.

Vision test: $1.00 > $2.75 (it is required, and you have to pay for that 30 seconds of civil servant time).

Transaction Fee: $1.00 > $3.50 (this is handed over to the deputy registrar, whatever that is).

Lamination fee: Remains at $1.50 (yes - you pay extra for the required digital photo and the plastic).

So in total, $27.50 > $34.50.

Hey at least they are breaking down all the charges! :rolleyes:

A buck 50 for a hunk of plastic and digital photo is not bad... They have to get the supplies from somewhere.

Florida recently jacked up their car registration rates a ton (almost doubling them)

But if you're an illegal alien driving without a licence/insurance, you dont have to pay anything.

What a country!