Can the Bills O-line be worse than the Steelers '09 version?

SteamRoller67

Sucks? :rolleyes:

Towards the end of the game, the Steelers pass pro was really very stout. It let them come back and win the game. On the other side, the Titans protection got worse over the course of the game as the Steelers start to dial up more blitzes -- they seemed to run out of gas.

The Steelers blizted effectively. The Titans blitzed rarely, and I think that was a big mistake. They used too much of a 3 man or 4 man rush, and they weren't generating enough heat. Fisher should've been a bit more flexible in that respect. Maybe if he had done so, the Titans would've won the game.

The Steelers blizted effectively. The Titans blitzed rarely, and I think that was a big mistake. They used too much of a 3 man or 4 man rush, and they weren't generating enough heat. Fisher should've been a bit more flexible in that respect. Maybe if he had done so, the Titans would've won the game.

Doesn't help to have your FG kicker miss two under-40 attempts as well...

But, if the OL sucked then the Titans wouldn't have to blitz to get any pressure.

PS: I understand what Coach Cecil was trying to do, so I don't blame him too much. It just didn't work out.

But, if the OL sucked then the Titans wouldn't have to blitz to get any pressure.

PS: I understand what Coach Cecil was trying to do, so I don't blame him too much. It just didn't work out.

Pretty tough to get consistent pressure with a 3 man rush.

The Steelers O-line is sub-par. Pittsburgh wins in spite of the O-line, not because of it.

They couldn't run block for Parker/Mendenhall against a Titans D-line without Haynesworth all night.

They had a hard time in pass pro the entire game (minus the 3 man rush scenario). The Titans should have fired up a few more blitzes along the way.

I realize Ben holds the ball anticipating the big play down field. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

The sacks in that situation are on the QB.

Pretty tough to get consistent pressure with a 3 man rush.

The Titans didn't use a 3 man rush all that often. They did it a few times. They used more 4 man pressures, and that wasn't getting there. The Steelers line stoned them. They also dialed up some blitz packages in the 4th quarter, but the Steelers line was solid enough and Big Ben was eating them up.

People like to knee jerk that a DC is a clown because he didn't blitz enough, I get that. But, you have to be fundamentally sound and just make plays. Sometimes the dog bites you, sometimes you bite the dog. The Titans didn't make the plays they needed to win.

BR is one stud quarterback. I'm kind of at a loss trying to find the combination of size and agility and smarts. Maybe Bradshaw at his best is the closest I can come to off the top of my head.

Bradshaw was tough, but not a very big guy by today's standards. Also, he wasn't the brightest QB around.....or what we would today consider "agile".

How about Young? Tough, mobile and very smart.

What?

33/43 & 363 yards against a solid Titans defense is a little more than alright.

Ben single handedly saved 12-15 plays with his feet/toughness.

13 points.

The Steelers won that game because they have a tremendous defense and because Ralph Bironas picked a horrible night to suck out loud.*

*And because the officiating was downright horrible.

TENN has one of the best defenses in the league --if not the best.

no one can run on them

The Steelers offense line is average at best. They can't run the ball, can't pass protect (except against a 3 man rush) and generally had an awful night. Why the Titans only rushed 3 and dropped 8 most of the night is baffling.

Whatever Ben Roethlisberger's salary is, it's too low. If he isn't 245 pounds, he gets sacked 9 times by my count. The Titans were only credited with 4 sacks on the night. Ben Ro's ability to avoid the rush is pretty amazing for a big guy.

Bradshaw was tough, but not a very big guy by today's standards. Also, he wasn't the brightest QB around.....or what we would today consider "agile".

How about Young? Tough, mobile and very smart.

Bradshaw was a BIG BOY back when he played. He was to the QB's then as Big Ben is to todays QB's. He was smart enough to read a defense.

Ben just isn't the same QB when he doesn't have an "average on his best day starting WR" and a washed up RB like Randle El and Bettis. Or at least those were the posts I was arguing with three years ago when he was playing hurt all year.

Think the pendulum has swung a bit too much in the other direction now. It's a little easier to be "clutch" when your defense gives up 10 points.

IMO, it's a combination of Ben's willingness to hang on an extra second or two to let a route develope. He can do this better than most NFL QB's because he's so damn big and strong.

I also don't underestimate Tenn.'s pass rush/blitz capabilities.

I also believe it has got something to do with the route running and creative play calling. The Steelers were doing everything from check downs, draws, screens, repeated 8 yard dumps, involving their TEs in the game plan, and finally the dreaded word around here, throw deep. The steelers WRs and TEs cover for some of the inabilities of that OL with some great blocking. When you can move the ball like that and control the time of possession, you win football games.

Big Ben also throws the ball to receivers who APPEAR TO BE COVERED (take note, Trentative) and allows his WRs to make plays.

He's a big time QB.

And when Trent does, either Lee gives up the INT or Josh Reed fumbles the ball away....I don't think the Steelers and Bills can be compared at this point of time. Yesterday's game was like watching playoff football. Other than the game against the Dallas Cowboys 2 seasons ago, I am yet to see such intensity at a Bills game.

Sucks? ;)

Towards the end of the game, the Steelers pass pro was really very stout. It let them come back and win the game. On the other side, the Titans protection got worse over the course of the game as the Steelers start to dial up more blitzes -- they seemed to run out of gas.

The titans in that 4th and 5th Qtr really played like the Bills. When they get the ball back, they throw the ball three times and incomplete.....Their best player was Chris Johnson who was finding so many holes and yet he was not given the ball once in that drive. Then the whole prevent defense....For the first 3 qtrs, the titans harassed Ben Rothelisberger and yet no semblance of pass rush or even a cute blitz....It almost looked like the Titans were being coached by Fewell and Schonert.

13 points.

The Steelers won that game because they have a tremendous defense and because Ralph Bironas picked a horrible night to suck out loud.*

*And because the officiating was downright horrible.

Both defenses are excellent overall. It was a stalemate all night.

Titans lost Haynesworth, but are still a top 5 unit.

The difference was Ben Ro's ability to extend the play and create a positive gain from nothing. His passing numbers weren't from 3 yard checkdowns.....363 hard earned yards.