Did It Occur To Anyone Else Watching Last Night's Game....

MattM

also the Titans passing down defense looked like the Bills'. Without Haynesworth, the 4 man rush just doesn't get it done.

They sacked Ben 4 times and were constantly in his face. He had two ints and only 1 TD.

But I have to say, his line again sucks and he is a master of getting out of trouble. He holds the ball but his arm and accuracy allow him to release before he gets plastered. Nobody produces under pressure like this kid.

They sacked Ben 4 times and were constantly in his face. He had two ints and only 1 TD.

I don't think they even really pressured him when they only brought 3 or 4 men. Last year they got pressure up the gut from Haynesworth on 4 man rushes. Last night they only sacked or pressured him on blitzes and dogs. The Titans lost because they stopped bringing extra men. Ben had all day to pass in the 4th quarter and overtime.

How many TDs did we score against "more average D's" in preseason?

After the Bills preseason game against the Steelers, I looked into how the Titans', Packers', Bears', and Steelers' Ds had fared to that point in preseason. In 12 games they had given up a combined total of 10 points in the first quarter, and leaving out the Titans, not one of the other three had allowed more than 10 points in the first half. In fact, in 16 quarters of football, the Pack, Bears, and Steelers had given up only 25 points combined. The point that we played against good defensive teams is valid... though our offense did pad those stats.

Especially on O. The Steelers and Titans D's just bashed each other last night--a great game, but a defensive game nonetheless. Those looked like two of the top D's in the League. Add in GB, who looked dominant in pre-season at least (enough that I took them in my fantasy league). Our O looked decent against more average D's like Chicago and Detroit. New England's talent level on D, particularly after the Seymour trade, is nowhere near that of the Titans or Steelers, IMHO, but they do have Belicheat as coach. Dare I say it, but Monday night may not be quite the blowout folks think. Not saying we win, but do think we'll show better than we did in August.....

I'm not really sure what you're saying. There are lots of these posts every year where people watch other games and pick out something a good team does better than the Bills and says that's a blueprint for winning. Well there's lots of things good teams do better: they're better coached, they rush the QB, their offense makes an occasional play, their best player is somebody other than their punter...

You're right NE isn't on the level of those teams defensively. They're every bit as good overall though. Plus their secondary sucked last year but you wouldn't have known it watching the Bills games (no weather excuse for the Foxboro game last yr).

I'm not really sure what you're saying. There are lots of these posts every year where people watch other games and pick out something a good team does better than the Bills and says that's a blueprint for winning. Well there's lots of things good teams do better: they're better coached, they rush the QB, their offense makes an occasional play, their best player is somebody other than their punter...

You're right NE isn't on the level of those teams defensively. They're every bit as good overall though. Plus their secondary sucked last year but you wouldn't have known it watching the Bills games (no weather excuse for the Foxboro game last yr).

What I'm saying is simply that people here are crucifying our offense for not performing well during preseason. However, if you look at the defenses played, most of them are elite D's and not simply average D's. Many thanks to the poster above who did the research on this which bears out my original thought even more. The Pats* have, IMHO, an average D, particularly after losing Seymour. Beyond Wilfork, Warren (banged up this preseason), Thomas (a bit of a disappointment and 32 years old, but HGH is a helluva drug) and Mayo (overrated, but still a good player), I'm not really impressed by anyone else on that D. That said, they still have Belicheat as a coach, so they shouldn't be discounted too heavily. In years past it's almost as if the Pats* have had someone on our staff feeding them our game plan (which wouldn't shock me one bit if we find that to have actually had a mole sometime in future years considering what else those guys have done and been accused of).

In terms of last year's games and not taking advantage of their DB's shouldn't we give our O a bit of a pass (pun intended) for the hurricane-force winds game?