Miami vs FSU

Our secondary was brutal tonight. Greg Reid was the lone bright spot back there. Jenije, Magnum and even Robinson took turns getting burned or missing tackles.

The clock management at the end killed me. Trying to sub in a whole new personnel package? When Miami was trying to do the same thing? Line up, run a play and catch them offsides or with too many/not enough men on the field or out of position. Someone's got to take charge there.

You know I was on Fl St all week until I read that that their defense is not going to be very good this year & the offense is going to have to carry them. I always associate FSU with having a good defense but an inept offense(at least recently). Took Miami + the 5.5 pts. I also was surprised to hear they had trouble selling this game out. These games used to be the biggest games of the year for both schools.

Anyways, great game, both teams look like they are on their way back although I think FSU really needs to get rid of Bowden somehow to take that next step forward. I just do not know what purpose he really serves anymore. Not a great pass by Ponder at the end but it was catchable & should of been caught. I was surprised they did not put the 1 second back on the clock but then I just figured it was 4th down. If it was only 3rd down that is a pretty big error. FSU could not botch the playclock more in the last minute. Thought they should of called Ponder's number on the last play with a qb draw ala J Kelly 1989 against Miami in the season opener. Everybody in the stadium thought they were going to pass, I thought it may catch them by surprise. Sellout or no sellout, thought the stadium was rocking most of the night & looked like a great atmosphere out there. Ramius, hopefully you got to go to this one because it was an instant classic. This one is going to sting but they should rebound, the talent is there. Calling it now, FSU goes into Provo in a few weeks & beats BYU.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, WTF...

The announcers are are assclowns. More on that later...

There was one second left on the clock! Why did they end the game?

Friggin' announcers. "I don't know if that PI will make any difference. Yeah, I'm sure that 1st down from the 2 was meaningless. Then they ran a play from 9 seconds to 5 seconds and the announcers say "one more play left". Why not two? They just ran a play that was 4 seconds. Why not do it again?

Agree 100%, the last 30 seconds of the 4th had some serious clock run offs that they never properly re-set the clock. FSU had 1 more crack at it after the incomplete pass. The worse part about it was the game was in Tallahasse. I fuggin hate UM now I have to listen to this for another year.

And for the the poster who said Harris is a stud, the guy throws balloons. No arm strength what so ever. The kid played a very smart game, my hat is off to him but a stud QB he is not.

Great game, now the Bills must step it up to prevent both my teams from dropping their respective season openers. While FSU played uncharacteristic poor defense throughout -- they really screwed up the ending with clock management. 2nd and 2 from inside the 15 with 40 seconds and they were trying to run a whole new formation onto the field -- wasting 20-30 seconds. Did someone notice if Turk Schonert suddenly joined FSU's staff?

Where FSU lost the game was the repeated 3rd down conversions they kept making. They would make great stops on 1st and 2nd then give up on 3rd, so frustrating.

I hope Randy Shannon got grilled after this game for the horrible kickoff strategy employed throughout the game. Giving the opponent the ball in your territory with two minutes left is either horribly unlucky or downright stupid. His team won, but it wasn't because of his coaching decisions. It is one thing if there's three or four seconds left. He should have faith in his coverage units.

That game was heartbreaking. Everyone in the stadium (at least in my section) thought we had one second left as well. However, they never showed us a replay of it on the big board, so there was no way to be sure.

@%@#%#@ Miami

GoBills78, I agree with you to a point, but both return games were scorching the coverage units. I wonder if it was more a matter of the kick not being placed properly. They made out well enough on the squib kick previous to that last one.

Our secondary was brutal tonight. Greg Reid was the lone bright spot back there. Jenije, Magnum and even Robinson took turns getting burned or missing tackles.

The clock management at the end killed me. Trying to sub in a whole new personnel package? When Miami was trying to do the same thing? Line up, run a play and catch them offsides or with too many/not enough men on the field or out of position. Someone's got to take charge there.

Yeah, greg reid aside, the secondary was uncharacteristically awful last night. I think miami just completed another 40 yard pass. Anyways, its good to finally see the offense moving the ball. I'd like to see more of a running game, but i saw some good things. The D will come around. They're young, and just made a few too many mental mistakes. Ponder did as well. His 2 turnovers potentially cost us 2 FGs. Aside from that the kid played a good game.

I've been saying it all offseason, this team is improved, but it is not going to be reflected in this year's record with our brutal schedule. However, 8-4 is still a good season and 9-3 and/or a berth in the ACC championship isn't out of the question. The way i figured it, this season we'd probably go 6-2 in the ACC, drop the UF game, and then the BYU game was a toss up to see if we could get that 9th win. Either way, it's good to see miami getting their program back on track as well.

Bottom line: FSU choked as per usual in this series. The final pass hit the receiver in the cage in the end zone and he still dropped it. Didn't notice the clock runoff, but does anyone really believe FSU would have converted even if they had another shot? They always gag vs Miami in nail-biters that come down to an epic final play.

Great game, and a perfect example of why college ball > NFL.

Great Game, But I think Ponder is going to be a great pro. Good arm can move in the pocket, got his ba already and is working on his masters as a junior. Maybe he'll come out early for the draft. I just had a dream. With their firts pick in the 2010 draft Buffalo picks--------LOL

You know I was on Fl St all week until I read that that their defense is not going to be very good this year & the offense is going to have to carry them. I always associate FSU with having a good defense but an inept offense(at least recently). Took Miami + the 5.5 pts. I also was surprised to hear they had trouble selling this game out. These games used to be the biggest games of the year for both schools.

Anyways, great game, both teams look like they are on their way back although I think FSU really needs to get rid of Bowden somehow to take that next step forward. I just do not know what purpose he really serves anymore. Not a great pass by Ponder at the end but it was catchable & should of been caught. I was surprised they did not put the 1 second back on the clock but then I just figured it was 4th down. If it was only 3rd down that is a pretty big error. FSU could not botch the playclock more in the last minute. Thought they should of called Ponder's number on the last play with a qb draw ala J Kelly 1989 against Miami in the season opener. Everybody in the stadium thought they were going to pass, I thought it may catch them by surprise. Sellout or no sellout, thought the stadium was rocking most of the night & looked like a great atmosphere out there. Ramius, hopefully you got to go to this one because it was an instant classic. This one is going to sting but they should rebound, the talent is there. Calling it now, FSU goes into Provo in a few weeks & beats BYU.

Good call on the bet. When i saw the line, i would have taken miami and the points, because you knew it would be a close one. There was some questionable play calling, but i didnt mind the runoff too much. I didnt want to chance having to kick off again, because miami's returner had been burning us all night.

As for Bowden, he's not in control of the offense. Jimbo Fisher is. Bobby might have some overall strategy opinions, but the day to day stuff is run by Jimbo and has been since last year. This season is Mickey Andrews' last as DC, and they better let Jimbo pick the successor and re-staff the D-coaching staff. (Fisher and Amato hate each other). It is time for Bobby to go, however. Thats the general sentiment around Tallahassee. People are hoping this year is his last, but next year should be his farewell tour. After the 2010 season, Jimbo becomes coach or we owe him a huge buyout. And if he isn't promoted to HC by then, this town is going to flip out.

As for Bowden, he's not in control of the offense. Jimbo Fisher is. Bobby might have some overall strategy opinions, but the day to day stuff is run by Jimbo and has been since last year. This season is Mickey Andrews' last as DC, and they better let Jimbo pick the successor and re-staff the D-coaching staff. (Fisher and Amato hate each other). It is time for Bobby to go, however. Thats the general sentiment around Tallahassee. People are hoping this year is his last, but next year should be his farewell tour. After the 2010 season, Jimbo becomes coach or we owe him a huge buyout. And if he isn't promoted to HC by then, this town is going to flip out.

Ramius - what's the latest on Bowen's victory total re the flap about some wins being not credited because of NCAA violations?

That game was heartbreaking. Everyone in the stadium (at least in my section) thought we had one second left as well. However, they never showed us a replay of it on the big board, so there was no way to be sure.

@%@#%#@ Miami

GoBills78, I agree with you to a point, but both return games were scorching the coverage units. I wonder if it was more a matter of the kick not being placed properly. They made out well enough on the squib kick previous to that last one.

There was one second on the clock when the ball hit the ground, but the refs blew the whistle with no time on the clock. But really it was poor clock management by FSU that cost them, at least, another down. Even with 5 seconds left you take a couple steps back and try a quick pass. Then on the last play you can afford to roll out. By rolling out on with 5 seconds left, although it was a nice play call, FSU pretty much guaranteed it was the last play of the game.

Ramius - what's the latest on Bowen's victory total re the flap about some wins being not credited because of NCAA violations?

They are still fighting it, and its still in appeal, so technically Bobby is still 2 wins behind JoePa. The NCAA says since the players cheated on the test, they were ineligible to play from the moment they cheated. FSU says that they should keep the wins, because the players were punished and suspended as soon as the university discovered the cheating.

The whole "vacating wins" procedure is a joke if you ask me, no matter what institution it happens to. I honestly don't see what it accomplishes, and if Boby wasn't so close to JoePa, this wouldn't be a big deal. Plus, the NCAA is simply trying to make an example out of the football team. There were track players that cheated, yet the NCAA isn't going after the back-to-back-to-back NCAA track titles the FSU men's team won.

It was a nice breath of fresh air to see the offense look much more dynamic and almost carry the team to a win. It's disappointing (and troubling) to see the secondary run around like headless chickens, though.

As for the stadium/sellout - there's a lot of legit reasons why the game wasn't sold out, but the two biggest are the economy and the day/date of the game. It's not convenient, easy or cheap to get to Tallahassee from almost everywhere in the state, and with it being a Monday night game, most people didn't want to take an extra day off from work just to drive back home from Tally. It's three hours from Jacksonville (a big UF hotbed) and 4+ hours to Orlando, Tampa, Central Florida, and over 9 hours to Miami. That, and the fact that FSU-Miami have been mired in mediocrity the last few years, probably conspired to keep the ticket sales down.

Yeah, greg reid aside, the secondary was uncharacteristically awful last night. I think miami just completed another 40 yard pass. Anyways, its good to finally see the offense moving the ball. I'd like to see more of a running game, but i saw some good things. The D will come around. They're young, and just made a few too many mental mistakes. Ponder did as well. His 2 turnovers potentially cost us 2 FGs. Aside from that the kid played a good game.

I've been saying it all offseason, this team is improved, but it is not going to be reflected in this year's record with our brutal schedule. However, 8-4 is still a good season and 9-3 and/or a berth in the ACC championship isn't out of the question. The way i figured it, this season we'd probably go 6-2 in the ACC, drop the UF game, and then the BYU game was a toss up to see if we could get that 9th win. Either way, it's good to see miami getting their program back on track as well.

Agreed. I am less concerned with the o-line and running game as I am the secondary. Ponder's INT bothered me a helluva of a lot more than the fumble - that RT got embarrassed off the line and burned. I don't know how much I can put on Ponder for not "feeling the rush" on that one.

BYU concerns me now more than it did before, mainly because of the secondary. They usually toss the ball around pretty good, so they need to figure out their secondary issues fast. I'd like to see more of that nickel-creep defense they used sparingly.

EDIT: Ramius already replied. I have to agree that vacating win makes no sense to me, unless the HC knew he was using ineligible players.

IIRC, the school has promised to take this to the courts if necessary, which is a mixed bag for me. On one hand, anything that bitchslaps the NCAA and gets them to stop acting like a bully is a good thing. That being said, I think we got off light in terms of other punishment (probation and lost scholarships) and if losing the victories and putting JoePa out of reach is the final push to convince Bobby to retire, then I think I can handle Bobby finishing second in the wins ra.

They are still fighting it, and its still in appeal, so technically Bobby is still 2 wins behind JoePa. The NCAA says since the players cheated on the test, they were ineligible to play from the moment they cheated. FSU says that they should keep the wins, because the players were punished and suspended as soon as the university discovered the cheating.

The whole "vacating wins" procedure is a joke if you ask me, no matter what institution it happens to. I honestly don't see what it accomplishes, and if Boby wasn't so close to JoePa, this wouldn't be a big deal. Plus, the NCAA is simply trying to make an example out of the football team. There were track players that cheated, yet the NCAA isn't going after the back-to-back-to-back NCAA track titles the FSU men's team won.

I agree. Vacating a conference title - perhaps. But coaching wins? AFAIK, Bowen never tackled anybody when he was coaching or hurled a td strike...

Good call on the bet. When i saw the line, i would have taken miami and the points, because you knew it would be a close one. There was some questionable play calling, but i didnt mind the runoff too much. I didnt want to chance having to kick off again, because miami's returner had been burning us all night.

I'm sorry but Fisher is not the answer for HC. I love Bobby but we all know he hasn't been coaching this team for a looong time. Since Spurrier was in UF, lets be honest. Bobby's job is to massage the old booster money and walk in to a kids home and make his momma feel good about sending her boy to FSU, a slice of pecan pie later and Bobby has a 5 star athlete. This team has no identity. I love Andrews and am sad to see him leave. Can't imagine the sideline without that pissed off face and constantly spitting.

I would live to see them pay Fishers buy out and offer Mark Richt the farm. I loved the offense when he was hear. Pro style the way it should be. I hate this spread garbage. Look at what Kelly has done with Cincy and with worse athletes. Its a simple system that works. FSU has top 10 talent every year. Its time for a change at the top. Who cares if Bobby stands there waiting for something to happen, he has been doing it for years. So has Joe Pa.

Not sure if Amato is the answer to take over for Mickey. he is a great recruiter of defensive talent and is responsible for bringing a lot of guys here. When he was at NC state he raided the Miami high schools for talent the way FSU used too. I have been a NOLE from day one and it hurts to see this program the way it is. We are going on the right direction but its taking way too f'n long to get there.

Sometimes you have to give the other team credit. Harris was unreal tonight. I hate to say this, he looked Brady"esque" in the pocket. That throw that he made to Benjamin in the 4th was unreal. He was getting pressure, he stepped and threw an absolute perfect pass in a crucial part of the game. Miami is 5 deeap with legit WR's and they exposed FSU's overrated secondary last night so give them credit. They are big and fast and other then the first broken coverage, they were beating the man in front of them. FSU has no one to blame other then themselves. Poor clock management, dropped pass for a TD is what killed them. Great game though. If they commit to the run against BYU, they will be them by 2 TD's. What a game!

It was a nice breath of fresh air to see the offense look much more dynamic and almost carry the team to a win. It's disappointing (and troubling) to see the secondary run around like headless chickens, though.

As for the stadium/sellout - there's a lot of legit reasons why the game wasn't sold out, but the two biggest are the economy and the day/date of the game. It's not convenient, easy or cheap to get to Tallahassee from almost everywhere in the state, and with it being a Monday night game, most people didn't want to take an extra day off from work just to drive back home from Tally. It's three hours from Jacksonville (a big UF hotbed) and 4+ hours to Orlando, Tampa, Central Florida, and over 9 hours to Miami. That, and the fact that FSU-Miami have been mired in mediocrity the last few years, probably conspired to keep the ticket sales down.

Agreed. I am less concerned with the o-line and running game as I am the secondary. Ponder's INT bothered me a helluva of a lot more than the fumble - that RT got embarrassed off the line and burned. I don't know how much I can put on Ponder for not "feeling the rush" on that one.

BYU concerns me now more than it did before, mainly because of the secondary. They usually toss the ball around pretty good, so they need to figure out their secondary issues fast. I'd like to see more of that nickel-creep defense they used sparingly.

EDIT: Ramius already replied. I have to agree that vacating win makes no sense to me, unless the HC knew he was using ineligible players.

IIRC, the school has promised to take this to the courts if necessary, which is a mixed bag for me. On one hand, anything that bitchslaps the NCAA and gets them to stop acting like a bully is a good thing. That being said, I think we got off light in terms of other punishment (probation and lost scholarships) and if losing the victories and putting JoePa out of reach is the final push to convince Bobby to retire, then I think I can handle Bobby finishing second in the wins ra.

What are you driving, a covered wagon. I do the drive in 6 hours flat. I drive to my bros place in crestview. Thats 9 hours. Brutal.

Sometimes you have to give the other team credit. Harris was unreal tonight. I hate to say this, he looked Brady"esque" in the pocket. That throw that he made to Benjamin in the 4th was unreal. He was getting pressure, he stepped and threw an absolute perfect pass in a crucial part of the game. Miami is 5 deeap with legit WR's and they exposed FSU's overrated secondary last night so give them credit. They are big and fast and other then the first broken coverage, they were beating the man in front of them. FSU has no one to blame other then themselves. Poor clock management, dropped pass for a TD is what killed them. Great game though. If they commit to the run against BYU, they will be them by 2 TD's. What a game!

I agree with a few point here but how is FSU's secondary over rated? Thats the 1st game of the year. Harris played a great game and won, Brady esque? are you fuggin kidding me? The guy throws balloons, every time I saw a ball in the air I thought their was a basket attached to it. FSU's defensive game plan was terrible. When they started to pressure him he was all over the place. I don't know who is supposed to be occupying the middle of the field for FSU but he was MIA tonight. Give the trash bag U credit. They have some unreal talent better then UF I think, and they are very young. Too bad Shannon is a horrible coach. Best move they made was grabbing Whipple to call plays.