Bill Walsh

CAVEDAWG

I seem to remember that I read somewhere that Bill Walsh reccomended Trent Edwards to Marv Levy before he died. I think the problem with Edwards is NOTHING!! He still needs more time. A young Brett Farve used to throw interceptions all the time...just like an old Brett Farve does. He is still a winner!! Trent will become better as he learns this no huddle system. As will the rest of the offense. Five new o-line skill players trying to mesh as one unit will take time. Unfortunately we as Bills fans are tired of waiting!!

I like Trent! I think he has shown his skills from the day he was drafted! Maybe Dick Jauron knows what he was doing when he fired the OC. Obviously there was a problem somewhere! Better now than later!! If Dick get fired then bring in Mike Shanahan and the West Coast Offense!!

Trent Edwards is a good (not great) quarterback and there are a few teams out there that are worse off than us when it comes to the quarterback position. I would prefer to have a better quarterback on my team but I'm glad we have him and I believe he will continue to become better over time. Although, I do have one problem with what you said: You said that a young Brett Favre used to throw interceptions all of the time, but Brett Favre unlike Trent Edwards actually threw touchdowns that most of the time outnumbered his interceptions. I also don't completely understand how you are comparing Brett Favre to Trent Edwards.

I seem to remember that I read somewhere that Bill Walsh reccomended Trent Edwards to Marv Levy before he died. I think the problem with Edwards is NOTHING!! He still needs more time. A young Brett Farve used to throw interceptions all the time...just like an old Brett Farve does. He is still a winner!! Trent will become better as he learns this no huddle system. As will the rest of the offense. Five new o-line skill players trying to mesh as one unit will take time. Unfortunately we as Bills fans are tired of waiting!!

I like Trent! I think he has shown his skills from the day he was drafted! Maybe Dick Jauron knows what he was doing when he fired the OC. Obviously there was a problem somewhere! Better now than later!! If Dick get fired then bring in Mike Shanahan and the West Coast Offense!!

I agree with almost everything you've said there. I'm not sure bringing in the west coast offense will solve much. Schemes don't really matter much to me. It's successful execution of plays. Also, Walsh called Levy after the draft to tell him they had drafted a great QB.

I also think the "click" hasn't happened for TE yet but it's right around the corner. By the "click" I mean the moment that it all becomes second nature.

I am on the other end. I say the kid doesnt have it and never has. His throwing motion is horrible and the kid will not throw with anticipation. He is what he is, a backup in the NFL that got his shot because the ultra conservitive Jauron thinks how he does.

Guest dog14787
I agree with almost everything you've said there. I'm not sure bringing in the west coast offense will solve much. Schemes don't really matter much to me. It's successful execution of plays. Also, Walsh called Levy after the draft to tell him they had drafted a great QB.

I also think the "click" hasn't happened for TE yet but it's right around the corner. By the "click" I mean the moment that it all becomes second nature.

Nice to see intelligent posts from intelligent posters :thumbsup:

Trent Edwards is a good (not great) quarterback and there are a few teams out there that are worse off than us when it comes to the quarterback position. I would prefer to have a better quarterback on my team but I'm glad we have him and I believe he will continue to become better over time. Although, I do have one problem with what you said: You said that a young Brett Favre used to throw interceptions all of the time, but Brett Favre unlike Trent Edwards actually threw touchdowns that most of the time outnumbered his interceptions. I also don't completely understand how you are comparing Brett Favre to Trent Edwards.

Not comparing the two of them just stating an example that sometimes it takes time. Yes I agree...Brett was throwing TD's!!

How can anyone make a judgment on Trent Edwards? The Bills just fired their OC. The o-line is in disarray. Even if the coaches were mediocre it would likely be hard for them, let alone the lay public, to know if Trent was any good or not. I could care less what Bill Walsh said. Isn't it equally plausible that a guy from Stanford has a better grasp of offense strategy than the career back-up QB turned OC trying to run an offense from the 1980's.

How can anyone make a judgment on Trent Edwards? The Bills just fired their OC. The o-line is in disarray. Even if the coaches were mediocre it would likely be hard for them, let alone the lay public, to know if Trent was any good or not. I could care less what Bill Walsh said. Isn't it equally plausible that a guy from Stanford has a better grasp of offense strategy than the career back-up QB turned OC trying to run an offense from the 1980's.

Schonert and Van Pelt were both back ups, so what does that say? I'm more confident in AVP because he learned behind Kelly, played for the Bills, and in college he broke dan marinos passing records. IMHO he is a student of the game! I agree that the previous OC lacked alot of things, and am glad this change was made, Bill Walsh knew alot about QB's, time will tell if he was right on this one, let's just hope this gift he gave us turns out to be a Ferrari and not a Pinto.........

You know, the more I watch and read about Edwards, the more I think that Mike Holmgren would be the perfect HC here. He knows the WC offense (I think T.E. could light it up in that scheme) and he has a lot of experience with a 4-3 defense. Not to mention he made Matt Hasselbeck into a good QB.

I don't know if I have ever seen more exclamation points in a post haha.

I think that he needs a coaching mentor. I don't think that he'll succeed without one. Holmgren would be great, but again RW will not bring in someone like him. I think that the Bills best chance is to bring in a young OC or an offensive minded college head coach as the new head coach.

I think that he needs a coaching mentor. I don't think that he'll succeed without one. Holmgren would be great, but again RW will not bring in someone like him. I think that the Bills best chance is to bring in a young OC or an offensive minded college head coach as the new head coach.

They now have a young OC! Let's see how he does in a week then start calling for his replacement. We all know RW wont spend money on proven HC, but if this years science project blows up, he may not have a choice ...........

I don't know if I have ever seen more exclamation points in a post haha.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They now have a young OC! Let's see how he does in a week then start calling for his replacement. We all know RW wont spend money on proven HC, but if this years science project blows up, he may not have a choice ...........

Ralph spent the money to go out and sign Dockery + Walker, I hope he would opt to use that money on a proven coach. We might not be able to afford a big name FA every year, but it would be worth it.

Ralph spent the money to go out and sign Dockery + Walker, I hope he would opt to use that money on a proven coach. We might not be able to afford a big name FA every year, but it would be worth it.

The money for Dockery and Walker was salary cap money covered by TV contracts. Money for Coaches comes out of that 39.5 profit he made this last year.

He has never put a great importance on paying for a quality coach. Besides all the coaches that are out there right now would want more power than he is willing to give up.

You know, the more I watch and read about Edwards, the more I think that Mike Holmgren would be the perfect HC here. He knows the WC offense (I think T.E. could light it up in that scheme) and he has a lot of experience with a 4-3 defense. Not to mention he made Matt Hasselbeck into a good QB.

Um Trent needs a more simplified offense. He is too confused as is and too scared to throw the ball with anticipation. That said the WCO would destroy him mentally and Holmgren is HARD on his QB's.

The money for Dockery and Walker was salary cap money covered by TV contracts. Money for Coaches comes out of that 39.5 profit he made this last year.

He has never put a great importance on paying for a quality coach. Besides all the coaches that are out there right now would want more power than he is willing to give up.

Ralph only has to spend up to a minimum amount per year (salary cap rule), and the Bills are well over that threshold.

I am on the other end. I say the kid doesnt have it and never has. His throwing motion is horrible and the kid will not throw with anticipation. He is what he is, a backup in the NFL that got his shot because the ultra conservitive Jauron thinks how he does.

I agree somewhat with this. Edwards pushes the ball when he throws. That throw at the Blue Jays game showed it clearly. He doesn't get on top of the ball and doesn't have enough velocity to make certain throws. But I think he could be a really good West Coast QB utilizing his smarts, accuracy on the short and intermediate throws, and his athleticism. The Bills need to roll him out of the pocket more.

Ralph only has to spend up to a minimum amount per year (salary cap rule), and the Bills are well over that threshold.

He has cash to cap in place so he may spend over the minimum but doesn't get near the top either....so he pockets the rest.

Ralph has never and will never pay a large sum for a HC.

I think the click already happened and then it clicked off when he had his concussion.