Now that the offesne is fixed, what to do about the defense?

sharper802

1. Cut Kelsay and Ellison

2. Denney plays DE in the base 4-3 while Maybin lines up at OLB.

3. Maybin plays mostly weak side OLB but randomly switches sides with Mitchell

3. Maybin shifts to DE in the nickel and dime packages.

4. Hope Byrd can become a playmaker at FS and move Whitner back to SS - not sure this is an upgrade at SS but I am not convinved Whinter is a playmaker at FS.

5. Abandon the no-huddle so the defense is not rushed back on the field.

4. Hope Byrd can become a playmaker at FS and move Whitner back to SS - not sure this is an upgrade at SS but I am not convinved Whinter is a playmaker at FS.

You really think the offense is fixed?

I think you've been raked over the coals enough for the "offense is fixed" statement. As to your defensive suggestions:

Cutting 'em would hurt the Bills from a depth standpoint. Both are their starters, whether we fans agree w/ that or not. That means you're going to have to either find a better quality replacement from outside your roster to fill those spots, or hope you have the answer on your roster already and shuffle the lineup a bit. I like Nic Harris and I think he would fare no wose than Ellison (though I have to admit, Ellison has made some nice plays w/ his hitting ability), but are the Bills going to rely on Denney to be the guy w/ Kelsay gone?

Ah, so Maybin moves into Ellison's spot, and we are indeed relying on Denney full time @ LDE. Yikes. Maybin's first step is as good as advertised. His issues are in his decision making on the fly (see the Roethlisberger scramble and throw to Heath Miller from last week's Bills-Stillers game) and he is not a guy who I would feel comfortable w/ seeing him out in space in terms of covering the flat.

Okay, your first 3rd point.....Maybin has issues in coverage and his instincts aren't fine tuned enough that he'd be reliable on the edge as a weak side 'backer. Bad move. As to the 2nd 3rd point...right now, this is really Maybin's best role: situational pass rusher.

Playing the deep middle is a tough task. Asking a rookie to handle it is entrusting a LOT to a guy who hasn't proven he can be relied upon. I'd like to see a lot more of Byrd before I could see the Bills hand that over to 'em. As for Whitner, he's a good strong safety, not a great one. He allows the Bills to do more, as he can cover the inside receivers in nickel and dime situations, but those who are looking for tons of picks and scores like Ed Reed or looking for lots of havoc wreaking in the box ala Troy Polamalu and Bob Sanders are going to continue to be disappointed.

The way the Bills ran the no huddle was more of a "sugar huddle", where they called things @ the line of scrimmage. They didn't run a fast paced, two minute type offense. The defense was "rushed" back onto the field due to the inability of the offense to consistently move the ball down the field. That would've happened even if they had a more traditional huddle.

Maybe I should have written "fixed" as I was being facetious.

I am not advocating Byrd start now but that he moves into the role if he shows he can make plays. Simpson and Whitner played thier rookie years.

I also would amend "cut" to "bench" as it is correct Ellison should be good at ST's.

I would still cut Kelsay, save the money, and use it to bring in Levi Jones.

Bryan has outplayed him so far. Denney is better against the run.

Maybe I should have written "fixed" as I was being facetious.

I am not advocating Byrd start now but that he moves into the role if he shows he can make plays. Simpson and Whitner played thier rookie years.

I also would amend "cut" to "bench" as it is correct Ellison should be good at ST's.

I would still cut Kelsay, save the money, and use it to bring in Levi Jones.

Bryan has outplayed him so far. Denney is better against the run.

You missed to two most obvious. Hire a GM and a new coaching staff.