Walker Will Be Cut or Traded...

I just can't see a $25M player sitting on the bench. If Bell beats him out does he switch over to RT?

Does Butler go back to guard? Does Levitre go to the bench? It doesn't make much sense. I am sorry to say it cause I genuinely like the big guy but if Bell beats him out, he will not be on the opening day roster.

Thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

walker is the starting LT game 1. BEll is injured right now. he is a enigma, a riddle, a mystery -- as Winston Churchill once said about Russia. Bell aint starting anything. He is the backup. THey just gave money to the new center from CArolina and Butler to play RT. Eventually, maybe midseason, WALker goes back to the RT and Wood shift to C and Butler shifts to RG and Bell starts at LT. But that is a long way away. There will be injuries and drama before that happens anyway.

Walker is a bargain right now. He has played well -- and in games, he pass and run blocks veryh well. HE is good player who shows up on Sunday.

I just can't see a $25M player sitting on the bench. If Bell beats him out does he switch over to RT?

Does Butler go back to guard? Does Levitre go to the bench? It doesn't make much sense. I am sorry to say it cause I genuinely like the big guy but if Bell beats him out, he will not be on the opening day roster.

Thoughts?

walker is the starting LT game 1. BEll is injured right now. he is a enigma, a riddle, a mystery -- as Winston Churchill once said about Russia. Bell aint starting anything. He is the backup. THey just gave money to the new center from CArolina and Butler to play RT. Eventually, maybe midseason, WALker goes back to the RT and Wood shift to C and Butler shifts to RG and Bell starts at LT. But that is a long way away. There will be injuries and drama before that happens anyway.

Walker is a bargain right now. He has played well -- and in games, he pass and run blocks veryh well. HE is good player who shows up on Sunday.

Bell may be an enigma to you, but he isn't to the coaches.

Bell is puzzling to the coaches. He plays pretty darn well. He doesnt have the pedigree of most LT in the national league. He is a project. I like the guy. But his injury isnt allowing review of his play again top talent rushers. WALker is the starting LT. Butler, a guy who has a lot of pro experience now, will man the RT. simple as that. time will tell what Bell has.

His injury doesnt help his chances...

Very unlikely he will be cut or traded. Him not being able to play LT doesn't reflect on his ability to play RT. In fact, his play at RT last year was what made the powers that be think that he could play on the left side. Also, as a previous poster mentioned, Bell is hurt right now, and nobody knows how he will hold up against starters week after week.

Bell is puzzling to the coaches. He plays pretty darn well. He doesnt have the pedigree of most LT in the national league. He is a project. I like the guy. But his injury isnt allowing review of his play again top talent rushers. WALker is the starting LT. Butler, a guy who has a lot of pro experience now, will man the RT. simple as that. time will tell what Bell has.

His injury doesnt help his chances...

I.don't.agree.with.you

Thoughts?

You were dropped or malnourished.

Langston Walker is actually one of the better pass blockers on our team. People tend to assume that because of his size he would be a better run blocker, but in reality his size works against him in the run game.

At 6'8" he has trouble gaining leverage on opponents in the run game and rarely drives guys to the second level. Whereas in the pass game, if he gets a hand on the opposing defensive end, it's a long way around his edge to get to the quarterback with his massive reach.

Sean Kugler quote on Langston - "Langston is an accomplished pass blocker at both right and left tackle.He is a talented pass protector. He knows he has to improve on some things in the run game."

Good post. This sums it up. Totally agree with this.

Langston Walker is actually one of the better pass blockers on our team. People tend to assume that because of his size he would be a better run blocker, but in reality his size works against him in the run game.

At 6'8" he has trouble gaining leverage on opponents in the run game and rarely drives guys to the second level. Whereas in the pass game, if he gets a hand on the opposing defensive end, it's a long way around his edge to get to the quarterback with his massive reach.

Sean Kugler quote on Langston - "Langston is an accomplished pass blocker at both right and left tackle.He is a talented pass protector. He knows he has to improve on some things in the run game."

Remember two years ago, Butler was hurt and hardly even played in the preseason. Game 1 he started over Fowler and some other slug. If the past is any indication, the coaches are not afraid to make a call like this.

Not to mention, I really can't see the Bills retooling the offensive line anymore this season. In the offseason I would love to see Eric Wood back at center, with Bell at LT, Levitre at LG, Butler at RG, Walker at RT, and Hangartner backing up the interior line like he did at Carolina. However, if the line plays well this year there is no reason to change anything. There is still a whole season of actual football that needs to be played first.

I hope Bell is as good aas people here hope, but I haven't seen him in a real game going against a top DE. Right now the guys he is playing against and impressing the coaches, are the pathetic linemen on this below-par Bills defensive line (the same guys everyone rips all over this board. It's hard to get a real gauge of his skills when he is lining up against Ryan Denney.

Thoughts?

from a logical standpoint, your thoughts are ridiculous.

why get rid of allegedly our best OL from last year.

However, from the perspective of THIS front office, it makes alot of sense.

Walker is getting paid right now what THIS front office thinks is top end LT money.

If Walker can't cut it at LT, then he is too expensive to play RT, or even worse, sit on the bench. Remember Marv was the one to commit big bucks to the failed OL free agents.

THIS front office firmly believes it can use rookies and low budget low round picks and free agent finds to occupy the OL. Since it happened with Peters, they are convinced Bell is the rags to riches LT storybook.

Although it may make more sense to make the move next year, Ralph can save much more money by moving Walker's contract before the season.

What's the downside?

Ticket sales are in the bag for 2009

With the Question if Bell should be starting is a good thing in my opinion. This means the coaches feel he has come a long way fast. This gives them more flexibility along the O-line. Biggest problem is, all that inexperience, for all of them, including Walker at left tackle. I feel the talent is there, but lets face it, they have to learn to work together and that really does take time. They need to be coached well. Taught in the class room. Everyone one of them has a very high IQ and the talent to match. BUT NO experience working together and remember it requires a lot of team work to make it all work. It will come, but most likely very slowly...

It is up to the coaches and especially Edwards to get us through this. Edwards has to step up to move the chains. He has the receivers and runners...... Turk hopefully helps Edwards out...... I am affraid there will be a lot of grunts and groans this year for us fans......I am just hoping they do not stink and instead give us a good showing .... That is all I really expect ....

Thoughts?

1. Watching Bell and Walker at LT I'd say Bell is at least as good as Walker and he looks a little better every game he plays.

2. Bell doesn't remind me of Peters at all, as a player he reminds me much more of D'Brickashaw Ferguson- He plays very well against speed and has some trouble against power- I think Richard Seymore will be a very hard match-up for Bell but he's a pretty hard match-up against anyone.

3. Walker was a an ok RT his Pass Blocking was good and his run blocking was adequate, Walker rarely gets bull rushed and if he gets his hands on you and locks out his arms you are pretty much done. He lacks explosion at the line and doesn't run very well, but on the plus side I've seen him just push linebackers out of his way as he jogs along.

4. Butler might be the better run blocker- he certainly runs better- he can be bull rushed and he doesn't have the smoothest lateral movement I've ever seen.

5. I'd like to see Jonathan Scott go against a #1 defense because there's been a couple times I've been watching later in the game and said that's some nice work- who's 79- but that's against scrubs so who can tell, but it's better than sucking against scrubs.

With the Question if Bell should be starting is a good thing in my opinion. This means the coaches feel he has come a long way fast. This gives them more flexibility along the O-line. Biggest problem is, all that inexperience, for all of them, including Walker at left tackle. I feel the talent is there, but lets face it, they have to learn to work together and that really does take time. They need to be coached well. Taught in the class room. Everyone one of them has a very high IQ and the talent to match. BUT NO experience working together and remember it requires a lot of team work to make it all work. It will come, but most likely very slowly...

It is up to the coaches and especially Edwards to get us through this. Edwards has to step up to move the chains. He has the receivers and runners...... Turk hopefully helps Edwards out...... I am affraid there will be a lot of grunts and groans this year for us fans......I am just hoping they do not stink and instead give us a good showing .... That is all I really expect ....

I think this is the first time you have ever made a post that wasn't a topic starter.

I was neither dropped nor malnourished. I just read a ESPN article that says the coaching think Bell should start over Walker. Like I said I really like the guy and don't want to see him cut. I am looking more at the business end of this. If Bell is able to practice this upcoming week and the coaches choose to start him over Walker, what do we do with Walker?

I just can't see a big contract like that sitting on the bench, but do we break up the continuity of the line by moving him back to RT. In order to dress for game day if you are not starting you have to be able to play guard or tackle. That potentially would leave him inactive because they only dress 7 lineman on Gameday. Kinney was signed to back up guard and center

and Chambers is our back up guard and tackle guy. If you are the coaches and you decide Bell should be our starter what do you logically do with Walker?

Since we on the board know so much maybe we can solve this paradox.

What a cogent and well thought out response! Someone relatively new makes a point you disagree with and is swiftly attacked.

Is it impossible to believe perhaps that the Bills might cut a moderately paid OT who was set up to fail by being asked to transition to LT? I don't think so. Heck, I'm sure most of the Bills fans on this board didn't think it was possible to go 7-9 three straight seasons either.

I never like the idea of moving Walker from RT to begin with.

I wasn't a big fan of moving Wood from his natural position of Center but it seems ok so far

I think the best lineup would be...

LT Bell

LG Hangartner

C Wood

RG Bulter

RT Walker

Just my opinion, but it not like the staff reads this crap anyway lol.