eugene parker at it again

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very curious by this concept of a "big win" for Parker. How could it have been a big loss instead? The Bills putting Peters on ice for 2 years? Maybe. But that would have hurt the Bills just as much. When you have an agent willing to adopt a scorched earth policy, how can you deal with that? I think you are wrong about there being no consequence for Parker. When you get a rep for being out to screw the opponent, teams will not want to deal with his players anymore.

PTR

You have to remember that whatever the Bills do is wrong. If they trade a disgruntled player, that gives half effort for a first round draft pick; then they're fools for caving in and giving the player what he wants. If they sign the player to a large contract and he continues to give half hearted effort; then they're fools for not seeing this.

The only potential winning scenario for the Bills would have been to keep Peters on the team, but don't rework his contract. That way when he keeps sulking, at least he won't be costing alot of money. Of course, the team is wasting a roster spot on someone that's underperfoming and will eventually cut/trade him for next to nothing. But at least they showed him, huh. Of course, in 2 years these same people will denigrate the FO for not trading him when they had a chance to get a 1st round pick.

See, so the FO really did screw up after all.

Peters received a $1M raise for playing LT.

This is an interesting factoid if it is in fact true. It actually undercuts the argument that the Bills were merely upholding the agreement which Peters being of sound mind and body made.

If the Bills in fact paid him an extra mil for the new job this a pretty direct admission that the Peters RT based salary was too low for the LT work.

If this is true it takes the Bills away from arguing from a position of morality to merely arguing over the issue of how much it costs for the Bills to re do his contract off timing.

Its like Noel Coward long ago asking some socialite would she sleep with him for a million bucks (this was real money back then) and she sheepishly admitted yes. He then asked her would she sleep with him for $20. She said no what do you think I am. He said we just determined who you are, now we are just arguing over the price.

A million bucks a year over the general RT market rate seems to be pretty small potatoes for a starting LY (not to mention one able to win the popularity contest of the Pro Bowl).

All in all it looks to me like the Bills FO screwed up the relationship with their young LT (by clearly overpaying the LG and probably their RT at the time) and then added injury to the mismanagement by not maintaining a good relationship with their new found LT who made the Pro Bowl.

They added further mismanagement in my view by then giving Peters a result which gave him his financial goal after he pouted and sat out voluntary practices.

I think it was not a good sign for the Bills FO at all that Jackson took the same route of pouting before he got his new contract (I wonder whether the Bills caved again) and now Maybin and his agent refused to sign for quite a while (I wonder whether his new deal is off the slotting set by other draftees, I do not know).

At any rate, my guess is that other agents quickly saw from the Schobel and Peters examples (and maybe Jackson and Maybin) that the move if you want to maximize your bucks is to stand up to the Bills and they will give you what you are demanding.

The JP sack hangers would argue that the 49ers are a chickens**t operation that won't "just pay the man" and that Eugene Parker is a genius agent.

PTR

I strongly believe that the Bills mishandled the Peters situation. I don't criticize them so much for not retaining Peters but for not having a fallback position to fill the LT spot open when he was traded. Totally scrambling the OL doesn't make sense to me.

Almost everyone on this board agrees that the 49ers are right in maintaining that they will not pay Crabtree above the slot he was drafted. What all of us don't know is whether the agent or Crabtree, himself, is the reason that the player is holding for a contract worth more than his draft position. Parker has publicly repudiated comments made by one of Crabtree's possee that he was willing to sit out the season if his demands were not met. Parker has also put out statements that he was able to get other players signed within the framework of the slotted system.

Crabtree has demonstrated by his immature handling of his contract negotiation that he is a knucklehead. He will get signed before the season starts. He won't get more money than what his drafted slot position calls for. Time certainly isn't on his side. The longer he holds out the less leverage he has because he will be less useful for this season.

The salary scale dramatically changed when when the organization overpayed for Dockery and Walker. Peters was moved from the RT spot to the most critical position on the line, the LT position. The reality was our best player on the line was one of the lowest players on the line.

The Bills made a decision that they weren't going to reopen the contract. I understand the Bills' position. A trade was probably inevitable. The problem with this inept organization is that they didn't have a fallback position, such as acquiring a stopgap veteran LT or drafting another tackle. The front office decided to jumble the whole line and go on from there. I believe that is a foolish strategy to take. :lol:

I doubt that is the front office decision...That is more like Jauron's decision.....Jauron having played in the NFL and now being a HC with prior experience should know that it will be impossible to have continuity by completely changing the lineup especially when you have to shift two of the players from their natural position to two different roles. The Bills, IMHO have shot themselves in the foot with this horrible move...

This is an interesting factoid if it is in fact true. It actually undercuts the argument that the Bills were merely upholding the agreement which Peters being of sound mind and body made.

If the Bills in fact paid him an extra mil for the new job this a pretty direct admission that the Peters RT based salary was too low for the LT work.

If this is true it takes the Bills away from arguing from a position of morality to merely arguing over the issue of how much it costs for the Bills to re do his contract off timing.

Its like Noel Coward long ago asking some socialite would she sleep with him for a million bucks (this was real money back then) and she sheepishly admitted yes. He then asked her would she sleep with him for $20. She said no what do you think I am. He said we just determined who you are, now we are just arguing over the price.

A million bucks a year over the general RT market rate seems to be pretty small potatoes for a starting LY (not to mention one able to win the popularity contest of the Pro Bowl).

All in all it looks to me like the Bills FO screwed up the relationship with their young LT (by clearly overpaying the LG and probably their RT at the time) and then added injury to the mismanagement by not maintaining a good relationship with their new found LT who made the Pro Bowl.

They added further mismanagement in my view by then giving Peters a result which gave him his financial goal after he pouted and sat out voluntary practices.

I think it was not a good sign for the Bills FO at all that Jackson took the same route of pouting before he got his new contract (I wonder whether the Bills caved again) and now Maybin and his agent refused to sign for quite a while (I wonder whether his new deal is off the slotting set by other draftees, I do not know).

At any rate, my guess is that other agents quickly saw from the Schobel and Peters examples (and maybe Jackson and Maybin) that the move if you want to maximize your bucks is to stand up to the Bills and they will give you what you are demanding.

Yes, the Bills "screwed up" by anticipating that Peters would have one good full season at LT, after which his ego would blow-up to cosmic proportions, and that Dockery would prove to be a bust. And they knew they underpaid Peters when they gave him the escalator clause, in good faith, should he become the starting LT. :lol:

Look, Peters ultimately got what he wanted ($10M/year). Guess what? It's what he would have gotten from the Bills, possibly even last year, had he acted like a mature professional and shown-up for OTA'S, minicamps, hell ANYTHING before the season started. He didn't. And the Bills didn't want to reward him so they traded him when they got a pretty good deal. They could have kept him and let him twist in the wind.

And early returns are that he's fat, out of shape, and just plain bad. Looks like the Bills made the right decision. Because it will be very hard for Peters to justify his $10M/year pricetag.

And that Noel Coward thing was actually Winston Churchill. Coward batted for the other team. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Parker has also put out statements that he was able to get other players signed within the framework of the slotted system.

I may be wrong, and probably am, but I do not believe Parker has done this. The interwebs can be a dangerous thing... the original poster cut and pasted a paragragh from the Truth and Rumors section on SI, where nothing was attributed or sourced, and now it is taken as gospel. I am not blasting you JohnC, just really scary how things travel the and get blown up. I, for one, really believed the whole Vick to the Bills based on blogs etc...shows how smart I am :lol:

Not if he keeps getting the talent to sign with him.

Which he will do by going through his tussle with Russ over JP blow by blow... and showing who won hands down.

"I'd love to see that fight!"

Regards,

Ray Charles

Yes, the Bills "screwed up" by anticipating that Peters would have one good full season at LT, after which his ego would blow-up to cosmic proportions, and that Dockery would prove to be a bust. And they knew they underpaid Peters when they gave him the escalator clause, in good faith, should he become the starting LT. :lol:

Look, Peters ultimately got what he wanted ($10M/year). Guess what? It's what he would have gotten from the Bills, possibly even last year, had he acted like a mature professional and shown-up for OTA'S, minicamps, hell ANYTHING before the season started. He didn't. And the Bills didn't want to reward him so they traded him when they got a pretty good deal. They could have kept him and let him twist in the wind.

And early returns are that he's fat, out of shape, and just plain bad. Looks like the Bills made the right decision. Because it will be very hard for Peters to justify his $10M/year pricetag.

And that Noel Coward thing was actually Winston Churchill. Coward batted for the other team. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Its hard to tell where things went off track in terms of the Peters/Bills relationship as we on the outside are not privy to their conversations. My sense of where the Bills FO and the Peters relationship went the way of the Ralph/Butler or Ralph/Wade relationships (two examples of like it or not Bills management not keeping a positive relationship with their employees which is known as good leadership in some circles) is that things seemed to be a positive relationship with good public encouragement and strong goal setting for Peters by Mouse MacNally and Peters responding with outstanding results on the field when he maneuvered outside interest in signing him off our PS into a roster spot, proved to be unblockable on ST, and then performed the hard work needed to switch positions from TE to OL and won a roster spot as our starting RT.

I am not sure what happened but Peters continued to produce on the field winning the LT slot and performing well enough he won the popularity contest of a Pro Bowl slot, but somewhere as this happened the Peters/Bills relationship went off track and his performance suffered in most objective judgments and perhaps at the end of 09 it will prove true that he is in fact the fat slug that some claim he was in the past (when demonstrably he worked hard and achieved great things on the field from 04-07.

The real irony here is that if Peters does turn out to be the slug athlete that some loudly proclaim this is also a declaration that his agent Parker is even better than those who have been impressed with him feel. If Peters turns out to be an idiot then kudos to Parker who read the Bills correctly that if he stood up to our FO he could get them to cave and send Peters to fools like the Iggles who would give him the 6 yr./60 million deal to this moron,

My summary of all this is:

Peters- likely mortgaged a career of amazing achievement on the field from his UDFA TE stint to an onfield demonstration of potential LT greatness. However, he turned into a slug allowing fiscal issues to cost him good training time and a positive attitude and this appears like it may cost him a potentially great career. Hard to label him a complete loser in this though as he is crying all the way to the bank.

Iggles- Big potential fools who at best will pay a lot for play that better remain Pro Bowl great for the Iggles to even break even on this deal. We'll see but initial word does not look good for them.

Bills- Totally mismanaged development of an employee who had really produced big time on the field early in his career. Jury is still out on whether the replacement retooling of the OL will work. I remain grudgingly optimistic it will produce good results this year (the best bet is that we are so aggressive and good at WR we force opposing Ds not to be able to throw complex stunts at our youngsters- the no-huddle may help) but realism indicates this may be another year without playoffs and we have a 2010 season plan at best.

Parker- The hands down winner in this fun fest. He made a great read of the Bills FO after they caved to Schoebel when he skipped voluntary practices after they made a stupid deal with Kelsay that he could pull the same game after the Bills FO made a stupid deal with Dockery (and maybe with Walker but we'll see). He also read the market well that he could get someone to come running to the Bills who were running in fear from Peters to deliver him exactly the deal he wanted.

If Peters proves in fact to be a stiff this year, then Parkers' stock goes even higher.

Amazing.

I may be wrong, and probably am, but I do not believe Parker has done this. The interwebs can be a dangerous thing... the original poster cut and pasted a paragragh from the Truth and Rumors section on SI, where nothing was attributed or sourced, and now it is taken as gospel. I am not blasting you JohnC, just really scary how things travel the and get blown up. I, for one, really believed the whole Vick to the Bills based on blogs etc...shows how smart I am :lol:

If you want to "blast" me that is fine. I can handle it.

Eugene Parker has stated that he has signed players in this draft at an appropriate salary scale (slotted rate). He represented the 3rd pick in the draft, LSU DE/DT Tyson Jackson. He made the deal with KC in a timely fashion. In addition, Parker also drafted Jarius Byrd drafted by the Bills in the second round. There was little rancor and difficulty in arranging a deal with the Buffalo Bills.

Parker has put out statements that disavow claims by one of Crabtree's possee (his cousin) that he is willing to sit out the season if he did not get the deal he wanted. There is little an agent can do if he has a knucklehead for a client. The end result of this contractual saga is very predictable. He will eventually sign a deal which falls within the parameters of his drafted slot. The agent knows that. The player loses leverage as time passes and his utility for the season diminishes. Sometimes knuckleheads are slow learners. It just takes more time for them to deal with reality.