Richmond SPCA Director's dog dies after being left in her car....

The Poojer

Unfairly IMO -- leaving a dog (or a child) in a hot car is pretty tragic but almost invariably the result of a huge brain fart.

Really... A brain fart? Even with a child?

I agree with the Teddy thing, he should have been strung up for that... Yet, the laws at the time enabled him to escape justice. In the court of public opinion he is burning in hell for his transgression and cowardice in that incident. And rightly so.

While there is the possibility of a nutjob that is the exception .... do you really believe any parent would knowingly do this to their child? My wife once worked for a man who did this exact thing. His grief is immeasurable. It literally resulted from failed communication with his wife.

While there is the possibility of a nutjob that is the exception .... do you really believe any parent would knowingly do this to their child? My wife once worked for a man who did this exact thing. His grief is immeasurable. It literally resulted from failed communication with his wife.

I see what you are saying. I don't think any parent would do this on purpose. Yet, people have to stop being clueless! As a parent, I have no sympathy for failed communication with the wife on matters like this. We (noticed said WE) are on a zero fail mission with these children when it comes to stuff like this.

I see what you are saying. I don't think any parent would do this on purpose. Yet, people have to stop being clueless! As a parent, I have no sympathy for failed communication with the wife on matters like this. We (noticed said WE) are on a zero fail mission with these children when it comes to stuff like this.

Agreed but people make mistakes, some of which are horriffic in their impact.

Yes, really. Even with a child. A true 'accident' (you know, as opposed to say, running a dog fighting ring or leaving a woman to die in your car) sometimes has tragic consequences.

I agree with the Teddy thing, he should have been strung up for that... Yet, the laws his corrupt family's influence at the time enabled him to escape justice. In the court of public opinion he is burning in hell for his transgression and cowardice in that incident. And rightly so.

Fixed.

Got a form letter today from the director of the SPCA, :

i sent my reply

Ms. Starr

First let me say that I am very sorry for your loss. Losing a pet or any other family member is also a very sad time. That being said my hope is that other people that suffer the same misfortune due to their 'unintentional mistake' are afforded the same respect that you have asked for and in most cases received. It seems that in the past when 'regular' citizens have made the same mistake they are often vilified and made to feel as they are the most despicable people on the face of the earth. Hopefully there is a learning opportunity that comes out of this tragedy. I have always and will continue to support the SPCA. Sorry for your loss and I hope that you are able to get past this very shortly.

Sincerely,

PJ McCarthy

Her form Letter

The last couple of weeks have been difficult ones for me and my family. We lost our beloved dog Louie as the result of an honest and unintentional mistake, and we have grieved terribly over his passing. That loss became the focus of excessive news coverage, which provoked some very unkind attacks by people who do not know us and could not possibly know what is in our hearts. Trying to cope with the loss of our beloved Louie while being treated cruelly by others seemed to be almost more than we could bear.

But, then the deluge began. From everywhere, we began to receive an outpouring of caring and support. We got hundreds of e-mail messages and letters and cards. Flowers were delivered and books of comfort were sent. People wrote us about their own experiences with the loss of a beloved pet and empathized with our pain. Friends and acquaintances and people we knew from years in the past and people we had never even met all contacted us to let us know that their hearts were with us, that they understood and that they had every confidence that things would get better. The wonderful members of our Board of Directors quickly and constantly let me know that I had their total support and confidence. My husband even got his usual sandwich from a wonderful little place we frequent called A Movable Feast and, when he opened it, there was a sticker that said “We love you.” The kindness and support were overwhelming and they blotted out all of the harsh noise.

So many of those wonderful people we heard from were supporters of the Richmond SPCA, and I hope they will receive this message. Please know that your many acts of kindness and support have truly sustained us. We will never forget your compassion. It has turned what seemed at first to be a nightmare into an experience of reassurance about the kindheartedness of the wonderful people who sincerely love animals. We will always grieve for our Louie, but that pain has been softened by your remarkable outpouring of love.

Many of you who have contacted us have expressed your concern that I would resign as a result of the harsh treatment we experienced in some public forums. Please know that never for a moment did I consider such a thing. I would not desert the organization I love. My life’s work and passion are saving animal lives, and I am deeply dedicated to the wonderful organization that I have the honor to lead. The flood of kindness and concern that we have experienced has served to strengthen my resolve. I will continue to do all in my power as CEO of the Richmond SPCA to make sure that our voice for the animals is heard clearly and effectively and that our life saving work grows.

We have not permitted this recent episode to slow down any of our efforts for the animals that need us. In fact, last week was a very productive week for our life saving work. We hosted our first-ever microchipping clinic and provided permanent identification and other protective services to 561 pets and their families. We provided assistance to the Humane Society of the United States on two puppy mill raids and are now providing care to just under 40 dogs we took from those puppy mills who will require behavioral and medical rehabilitation prior to adoption. We provided our tenth wellness clinic to give basic veterinary care to the pets of low-income families who could not otherwise afford it. That clinic brought the total number of pets helped through this program to 180. We were recognized as the top recipient of the Ukrop’s Golden Gift program for this year. We benefited from a week-long pet food drive at Ukrop’s stores that will provide a consistent diet for pets in our care. We have continued to provide many low-income families with temporary pet food assistance through our pet pantry. On Monday, our remarkable clinic staff performed the highest number of spay/neuter surgeries that they have ever done in a single day – a stunning 92!

I could never thank you enough for your sustaining support of me, my family and this wonderful organization, not just in recent weeks but over many years. Your commitment and belief in this organization and its progressive programs and services has allowed us to achieve remarkable life saving success in our community that is recognized nationwide. I look forward to seeing many of you at our eleventh annual Fur Ball on October 2, which will raise essential funds for the care of the thousands of sick and injured homeless animals that come into our loving care. Our crucial work goes on, and I am proud to be a part of this great organization and to have your support.

Sincerely,