Why T.O. will make T.E. a stud

Coach55

There has been a lot of skepticism about TE's ability to stretch the field and that he is "Captain Checkdown". IMO, these arguments are valid. However, I think a lot of these issues stem from lack of confidence in his receivers. He doesn't seem to like to force the issue, as often he has gotten burned, which in turn has gotten him gun shy. In reality there is some truth to this. Last year, Lee Evans was double teamed often as other teams knew Parrish and Reed are #3's at best. Throw in the fact we had Mr Fumble at Tight End who was a drive killer, Trent's options were limited. As teams have recognized that the team throws short, they play tight coverage, exacerbating the need to check down.

Insert TO. In the past 2 games, TE has been effectively using the same offense as last year, albeit we have an improvement at tight end. When you add TO to the equation, all of a sudden you are going to open up Evans dramatically, meaning TE will be more comfortable in throwing the intermediate routes. This will also make Parrish/Reed more effective as they will play better in the slot. Once TE gets more comfortable throwing the intermediate routes, his confidence will improve and he will be willing to take more riskier passes, which will in turn spread the defense, meaning the receivers will have looser coverage. In essence, you have a domino effect.

His talent is there. If TO stays healthy, TE will go from Pop-gun to cannon relatively quickly. But QB is a confidence game and any doubt will kill him (case in point Rob Johnson).

There has been a lot of skepticism about TE's ability to stretch the field and that he is "Captain Checkdown". IMO, these arguments are valid. However, I think a lot of these issues stem from lack of confidence in his receivers. He doesn't seem to like to force the issue, as often he has gotten burned, which in turn has gotten him gun shy. In reality there is some truth to this. Last year, Lee Evans was double teamed often as other teams knew Parrish and Reed are #3's at best. Throw in the fact we had Mr Fumble at Tight End who was a drive killer, Trent's options were limited. As teams have recognized that the team throws short, they play tight coverage, exacerbating the need to check down.

Insert TO. In the past 2 games, TE has been effectively using the same offense as last year, albeit we have an improvement at tight end. When you add TO to the equation, all of a sudden you are going to open up Evans dramatically, meaning TE will be more comfortable in throwing the intermediate routes. This will also make Parrish/Reed more effective as they will play better in the slot. Once TE gets more comfortable throwing the intermediate routes, his confidence will improve and he will be willing to take more riskier passes, which will in turn spread the defense, meaning the receivers will have looser coverage. In essence, you have a domino effect.

His talent is there. If TO stays healthy, TE will go from Pop-gun to cannon relatively quickly. But QB is a confidence game and any doubt will kill him (case in point Rob Johnson).

I am hoping you are right. We certainly need something to pick things up - new line or not!

Sure, T.O. will be 40 yards downfield and T.E. will be on his back with 2 DT's and a linebacker on top of him.

Will T.O. make the line play better too?

Actually - yes. If the Bills can stretch the defense, opposing teams will be less apt to blitz, making the overall line blocking easier.

Sure, T.O. will be 40 yards downfield and T.E. will be on his back with 2 DT's and a linebacker on top of him.

please stop with that edwards will be on his back sh-- have some faith... our line has been doing good enought, he will have a decent amount of time to get rid of the ball.... yes he will be sacked some playes... maybe even a few times a game, but he wont be sacked every damn time he drops back. im gettin sick of hearin all u negative bills fans.. if u wanna be negative go be a fan off the BROWNS

please stop with that edwards will be on his back sh-- have some faith... our line has been doing good enought, he will have a decent amount of time to get rid of the ball.... yes he will be sacked some playes... maybe even a few times a game, but he wont be sacked every damn time he drops back. im gettin sick of hearin all u negative bills fans.. if u wanna be negative go be a fan off the BROWNS

and I'm supposed to take advice from you?

Funny correlation to this thread...I have been playing Madden 10 and for the first 4 games the offense was lighting it up through the air. TO was getting open and Evans and Reed were unstopable. Then in game 5, TO breaks his shoulder blade and is out for the year. The rest of the season the offense struggles, I signed Matt Jones, but he stinks, Evans can't get open and Reed in the slot is the only bright spot.

Coincidence? I think not. I really believe a healthy Owens make the offense alot better.

And take it easy on the O line, they may take some time to gel, but I think they are a better overall unit than last year and will be fine by the time the season starts and should get better each game if they are healthy.

Dunno. If I'm the opponent and watched the last two years' film on TE, his non-swiveling head and checkdown tendencies, I'll make da*n sure to put a DB in TO's face right at the LOS, and use the the 5 yards' worth of uncallable interference and an elbow chop to his mug if I can get away with it before the ball is launched.

I would to work against TO getting downfield or cutting into the flat against me. I'll risk being suckered into a pass interference penalty for 3 yards and a 1st down. :lol:

Great post. I agree.

Another problem is Jauron's conservative approach to the game and how this affects Schonert's play calling. If Trent is the Bills' QB of the future, (and I think he is), then they need to give him Peyton Manning power by letting him literally run the offense. He should be able to make any changes he wants and audible whenever he pleases.

Preseason is preseason so I take it for what it's worth, which is nothing. This is an important season, a big year. We shall see what happens...

Last season, Evans was doubled the entire year. Even though he had (barely) 1,000 yards, he only had 3 TD's. Roscoe is invisible and Reed is primarily the 3rd down receiver. TO will make TE a better TE to TO QB, but I'm not sold on TE being a better overall QB. Especially with Snert's predictable and plodding offense. We shall see.....

and I'm supposed to take advice from you?

u dont have to take advive from me but dont be a fag.. wow typo's im on my f'in iphone.....

P.S. everyone is tuff behind a computer so lets all play nice.

Guest dog14787
Actually - yes. If the Bills can stretch the defense, opposing teams will be less apt to blitz, making the overall line blocking easier.

I agree, and add a play making Tight End to the mix and it will scare defenses even more.

u dont have to take advive from me but dont be a fag.. wow typo's im on my f'in iphone.....

P.S. everyone is tuff behind a computer so lets all play nice.

[/quote

"dont be a fag?" How old are you? 12?

BTW I'm tough in front of the computer too.

TO should also drastically affect how the defense lines up against the Bills and how far the safeties creep up against the Bills. Last year, they dared Edwards to throw and he wouldn't or couldn't get the ball downfield. But that greatly affected the running game, and there were no holes for Lynch or Jackson to run through except on draws on passing downs. Most of their yards were gained on their own. Part of this was poor run blocking but just as important was blocking 8 or 9 guys instead of 7. There should be a lot more room for Lynch and Jackson to run on first and second down, especially if Shonert can mix up the plays a bit.

Another factor which can't be dismissed is Captain Checkdown's insistence on dumping the ball off to the backs. Last year, Lynch and Jackson would be incredible at making the first guy miss but guys #2 and #3 were right there to make the stop after a short gain. If they are back several yards the way they should be, covering the field because of Owens and Evans (as well as Reed or Parrish or Johnson or Hardy as #3 and/or #4), if Lynch or Jackson make the first guy miss they may get a lot more 7-10 yard dump offs instead of 2-5. That could make a lot more first downs and extended drives.

There are a lot of scenarios where TO can help tremendously. It will be Shonert and Trent's job to take advantage of them.

Damn you dib! It's read a word, look to the left, read another word, look to the left...takes forever to read your posts!

Anyway, I have heard the nickname, Went Backwards, used for our QB. Hopefully, it's not the case...

Guest dog14787

Roy Williams injured in Dallas, sounds like a serious shoulder injury.

TO twitter: The pressure has mounted n D-town...Stay tuned! This is WTEO81 reporting live frm Buffalo,NY. Wishing u a speedy recovery Roy!

Great post. I agree.

Another problem is Jauron's conservative approach to the game and how this affects Schonert's play calling. If Trent is the Bills' QB of the future, (and I think he is), then they need to give him Peyton Manning power by letting him literally run the offense. He should be able to make any changes he wants and audible whenever he pleases.

Preseason is preseason so I take it for what it's worth, which is nothing. This is an important season, a big year. We shall see what happens...

A. I thought Trent already had the power to audible

B. Why do people automatically assume Trent will somehow do a much better job at running the O than Turk? Up to this point, TE has learned everything he knows about the NFL from the same idiots that are in charge. As Trent recently said (to paraphrase), he is playing the way his coaches are telling to him to play. So why are on earth would expect him to be any better?