Donte Whitner

Donte Whitner  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Pro or Anti Donte?

• Pro
    • Anti
    • Withholding my opinion until after this season

I always defended the pick because I had faith in Marv and the front office. I held hope that we had no back end and Ngata was only a 2 down player. It is getting harder and harder to root for Whitner. Especially when it's hard to even find him on the field.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you realize that Ngata had as many interceptions last year as Donte's had his entire career?

What does that have to do with anything? Can say, without any doubts, that if Ngata were a Bill he'd have as many interceptions as he currently does?

All I'm suggesting is that too many people are comparing apples to oranges. Not only do the 2 players play different positions, but they're on different teams. The only link between them is that many here thought we should have drafted one over the other. Hence, my suggestion that this discussion is more appropriate for a do you think the FO knows what its doing-type question.

Why don't we argue that Whitner sucks because Mangold is better? The truth is many people just want to validate that they were right and Ngata would have been a better pick. He may have been; although until he suits up for the Bills its all speculation. And I contend that it has nothing to do with Whitner's value to the team.

They are linked to Bills fans. An obvious pick when you have no defensive tackles is to take the 345lb run stuffing DT that can also rush the QB. The Bills chose the safety that has a good attitude. Now one is succeeding and the other isn't, which causes Bills fans to say "I told you so."

Ngata doesn't effect whether Donte is a good player or not. But he IS much better, and the Bills DID screw that one up. Like it or not, they will be mentioned in the same breath for quite some time.

Then your problem lies with the front office. Please explain to me why we should hate on Donte Whitner because the Bills didn't draft Haloti Ngata.

I said wait till after the season. I know what he can do at SS. Not many plays on the ball, but a solid tackler. I'm hoping the move to FS opens up things for him a little more as he will have more freedon in the defensive backfield to roam and actually make some plays. I always said he reminded me of a young Brian Dawkins so now he's playing the position that could prove me right or make me feel like a donkey for even mentioning him in the same breath. I hope it's not the latter of the two

Yeah... I just wonder if the Bills plan on having him line up 20 yards off the ball during the regular season like they have in the pre-season. Sort of hard to make a ton of plays when you need binoculars to see the line of scrimmage. :thumbsup:

What does that have to do with anything? Can say, without any doubts, that if Ngata were a Bill he'd have as many interceptions as he currently does?

All I'm suggesting is that too many people are comparing apples to oranges. Not only do the 2 players play different positions, but they're on different teams. The only link between them is that many here thought we should have drafted one over the other. Hence, my suggestion that this discussion is more appropriate for a do you think the FO knows what its doing-type question.

Why don't we argue that Whitner sucks because Mangold is better? The truth is many people just want to validate that they were right and Ngata would have been a better pick. He may have been; although until he suits up for the Bills its all speculation. And I contend that it has nothing to do with Whitner's value to the team.

I'm not denying that Donte's success on the field isn't determined by Ngata's success on the field, or that this isn't the correct thread title to be debating the topic. But they are linked together, and their careers will be examined and compared each and every year, just like people talk about Ted Ginn vs. Brady Quinn, and a million other draft picks that are on seperate teams.

Of course you can compare players on different teams at different positions. You compare Donte's success as a safety and Ngata's success as a defensive lineman, just like you would when examining a trade. Are you saying Peyton Manning isn't thought of as a better player than Keith Ellison because they play different positions on different teams and thus aren't comparable? It isn't that hard to understand who the better player is.

Then your problem lies with the front office. Please explain to me why we should hate on Donte Whitner because the Bills didn't draft Haloti Ngata.

If you want an answer to that question, you should be asking KD in CT. I have said repeatedly that Ngata's success doesn't make or break how Donte performs as a Bill. I even said I checked the "waiting till after the season" box. All I'm saying is that Ngata is the better player.

Yeah... I just wonder if the Bills plan on having him line up 20 yards off the ball during the regular season like they have in the pre-season. Sort of hard to make a ton of plays when you need binoculars to see the line of scrimmage. :thumbsup:

He's playing Free Safety.

As an Anti Donte guy, I don't understand what Ngata has to do with this argument. Yes, we know the Bills were complete idiots when they took Donte over Ngata but that is not Lil Donte's fault. It was Marv and the rest of the Bills "Braintrust" who thought it was a good idea to rebuild a struggling franchise with a small safety with zero ability to make a play on the ball. When you mention Ngata, it gives the Pro Donte crowd a reason to deflect away from the actual facts...he just isn't that good.

I said wait till after the season. I know what he can do at SS. Not many plays on the ball, but a solid tackler. I'm hoping the move to FS opens up things for him a little more as he will have more freedon in the defensive backfield to roam and actually make some plays. I always said he reminded me of a young Brian Dawkins so now he's playing the position that could prove me right or make me feel like a donkey for even mentioning him in the same breath. I hope it's not the latter of the two

What you said.

If you want an answer to that question, you should be asking KD in CT. I have said repeatedly that Ngata's success doesn't make or break how Donte performs as a Bill. I even said I checked the "waiting till after the season" box. All I'm saying is that Ngata is the better player.

And no one cares how good or bad Ngata is, because Haloti Ngata is irrelevant to this discussion. KD in CT was being sarcastic, btw.

And no one cares how good or bad Ngata is, because Haloti Ngata is irrelevant to this discussion. KD in CT was being sarcastic, btw.

How is it irrelevant to the discussion when the original poster brought it up? Tell him it's irrelevant, not me. 7 people brought up Ngata before I commented on it.

Me personally, I wish I saw what other Pro D's see but I think he is limited. I think Anti D crowd has to get over the fact that we passed on Ngata (When Ngata scored yesterday I got about 4 phone calls saying, "HE SHOULD BE OURS!") But I think you call a spade a spade, he is small, limited in coverage and is simply just not an impact player at all. He is an average safety.

Yeah, I told you to get over it

He mentioned Ngata in an attempt to stop that debate before it got going, because he knew somebody would bring it up. Reading comprehension.

And once again... I made my opinion about Whitner, then 7 people brought up Ngata, and then I said my opinion about Ngata. Reading comprehension.

And once again... I made my opinion about Whitner, then 7 people brought up Ngata, and then I said my opinion about Ngata. Reading comprehension.

Okay...I never said anything to the contrary. I said "reading comprehension," because you completely misinterpreted (or at least misrepresented) the OP's meaning.