Is it time to think about looking for a new QB

flomoe

I know it's only preseason and the Bill's have played 3 games with the 1st team offense seeing about 15 series total, but is it time to think about the upcoming cuts for a potential QB for the Bills in the future. I doubt anyone is going to be cut that's worthy of being a starter in the future but after watching Trent so far this preseason, my hope and faith in him is diminishing week by week.

Sure, he went 10 for 10 or whatever last week but many of his throws and reads were late. The receivers didn't have the RAC option except the pass to Evans last week and his throws against the Pack were so late that when they weren't getting picked, the receiver was getting nailed as soon as he did make the catch.

I would love to see Edwards succeed and I know TO wasn't in the lineup but the fact of the matter is, it's the same old story with this guy. He proved it last year, even in the wins, he makes his decisions too late which hampers the effectiveness of the passing game.

I trully believe that teams not only stack the box to stop the run, which is pretty predictable, but in doing so, they eliminate the short pass throwing lanes for TE. Trent is the master of the checkdown and teams are obviously going to be able to exploit that with him.

As tough as the schedule looks this year, the obviously poor coaching staff and overall lack of talent, do we start thinking about a potential 1st round Qb selection next year?

I know it's only preseason and the Bill's have played 3 games with the 1st team offense seeing about 15 series total, but is it time to think about the upcoming cuts for a potential QB for the Bills in the future. I doubt anyone is going to be cut that's worthy of being a starter in the future but after watching Trent so far this preseason, my hope and faith in him is diminishing week by week.

Sure, he went 10 for 10 or whatever last week but many of his throws and reads were late. The receivers didn't have the RAC option except the pass to Evans last week and his throws against the Pack were so late that when they weren't getting picked, the receiver was getting nailed as soon as he did make the catch.

I would love to see Edwards succeed and I know TO wasn't in the lineup but the fact of the matter is, it's the same old story with this guy. He proved it last year, even in the wins, he makes his decisions too late which hampers the effectiveness of the passing game.

I trully believe that teams not only stack the box to stop the run, which is pretty predictable, but in doing so, they eliminate the short pass throwing lanes for TE. Trent is the master of the checkdown and teams are obviously going to be able to exploit that with him.

As tough as the schedule looks this year, the obviously poor coaching staff and overall lack of talent, do we start thinking about a potential 1st round Qb selection next year?

The real problem with this thinking is that the last three QBs to play in the Bills' system have all sucked equally, in the exact same manner.

This should lead one to believe that the problem with Bills quarterbacks does not rest with the quarterbacks...

The real problem with this thinking is that the last three QBs to play in the Bills' system have all sucked equally, in the exact same manner.

This should lead one to believe that the problem with Bills quarterbacks does not rest with the quarterbacks...

Can't disagree with this at all. So is it coaching, evaluation or just a complete lack of overall talent in the last 3? There are only a handful of QB's that have "IT" when it comes to overall ability. My guess would be that Trent might have potential but not the best "head" to play the game and with such an inept system and coaching staff, I'm thinking that he is just another talented QB (semi or otherwise) that's going to get lost in an overall franchise and system where decent QB's go to die.

I would bet that Brady or any present QB would look below average with this coaching staff and franchise in general.

In watching Bills games, it seems clear to me that Edwards does not have the mental toughness to play QB in the NFL. At the first sign of the slightest pressure he throws to his bail out receiver. He does not seems to be able to stand in the pocket, with bodies flying around him, and go through his progressions. If his first option is not open, he dumps the ball off. You combine the inability to stand in the pocket in the face of pressure with a terrible OL, you have the Bills 2009 season. I will be shocked if Edwards is the starter for the entire season.

Also, the DL of the Bills looked terrible. If the ball is not ran right at Stroud, he shows no desire to go after the ball carrier. He looks like a guy that got his contract. Teams are going to run the ball on the Bills all year long, just watch.

In watching Bills games, it seems clear to me that Edwards does not have the mental toughness to play QB in the NFL. At the first sign of the slightest pressure he throws to his bail out receiver. He does not seems to be able to stand in the pocket, with bodies flying around him, and go through his progressions. If his first option is not open, he dumps the ball off. You combine the inability to stand in the pocket in the face of pressure with a terrible OL, you have the Bills 2009 season. I will be shocked if Edwards is the starter for the entire season.

I agree with your assessment of Edwards. I saw a marked change after the concussion against the Cardinals last year, which eventually settled into the above behavior. He's scared to play now. Believe me, I'm not picking on him - if I got hit that hard I'd probably still be down - but the fact is that he is an NFL QB and highly paid to play the position and playing scared will not get it done.

you are totally clueless and dont know what the hell you are talking about as is evidenced by your 4th paragraph talk about not having a clue,WTF.

please dont waste anyone's time anymore with your complete ignorance of the game.

I agree with your assessment of Edwards. I saw a marked change after the concussion against the Cardinals last year, which eventually settled into the above behavior. He's scared to play now. Believe me, I'm not picking on him - if I got hit that hard I'd probably still be down - but the fact is that he is an NFL QB and highly paid to play the position and playing scared will not get it done.

I couldnt agree more. Adrian Wilson finished this guys career, maybe. If Trent doesnt quit playing scared, he's done. He never was the same last year, and so far, he looks just the same. Some guys never recover from a concussion. I sure hope Edwards does.

I couldnt agree more. Adrian Wilson finished this guys career, maybe. If Trent doesnt quit playing scared, he's done. He never was the same last year, and so far, he looks just the same. Some guys never recover from a concussion. I sure hope Edwards does.

I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying this. The concussion has nothing to do with Trent's poor late season performance. IIRC, his best statistical game of the season came after the injury. The biggest factors were: facing better competition; facing 3-4 defenses and weather factors with later season games. The concussion conspiracy is non-factor.

I for one will not judge any Bills player until our coaching staff is satisfactory. Exceptions include players that obviously suck like Losman, Kelsay etc. Not one single player on our team is put in a position to succeed. Trent, being the QB, should not be judged either until he has something resembling a pocket. Therefore, I believe the question should remain -- When do the Bills bring in a qualified coach?

I for one will not judge any Bills player until our coaching staff is satisfactory. Exceptions include players that obviously suck like Losman, Kelsay etc. Not one single player on our team is put in a position to succeed. Trent, being the QB, should not be judged either until he has something resembling a pocket. Therefore, I believe the question should remain -- When do the Bills bring in a qualified coach?
Please blather on how Edwards is better that JP, you opened the door

I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying this. The concussion has nothing to do with Trent's poor late season performance. IIRC, his best statistical game of the season came after the injury. The biggest factors were: facing better competition; facing 3-4 defenses and weather factors with later season games. The concussion conspiracy is non-factor.

That doesn't mean he didn't start playing scared. All that means is he didn't face such advanced defensive blitzes in that game.

man, i stopped writing on here a long time ago because of stupidity like this, but holy F'ing sh--....eventually, maybe we will find out that Trent is not meant for NFL football, but F'ing A, to come to this conclusion after a fuggin pre-season game....Get a grip. This is so sad. The Giants looked absolutely pathetic last night and Eli's numbers were disgusting, but mood out here is a tad different than what I read in here about the Bills QB situation. I don't even know why I even come in here anymore b/c reading posts like this make me realize how dumb fans can be these days..

man, i stopped writing on here a long time ago because of stupidity like this, but holy F'ing sh--....eventually, maybe we will find out that Trent is not meant for NFL football, but F'ing A, to come to this conclusion after a fuggin pre-season game....Get a grip. This is so sad. The Giants looked absolutely pathetic last night and Eli's numbers were disgusting, but mood out here is a tad different than what I read in here about the Bills QB situation. I don't even know why I even come in here anymore b/c reading posts like this make me realize how dumb fans can be these days..

well mr myopic, the Giants recently won a super bowl and are allowed a bad pre season game (remember the 90's Bills)

This particular team, the 2009 Bills, have sucked for a decade, a glimer of hope would be nice, Also Trent isn't being judge on one fuggin pre -season game, he's building up quite a nice resume.

well mr myopic, the Giants recently won a super bowl and are allowed a bad pre season game (remember the 90's Bills)

This particular team, the 2009 Bills, have sucked for a decade, a glimer of hope would be nice, Also Trent isn't being judge on one fuggin pre -season game, he's building up quite a nice resume.

there's nothing wrong with the qb (that includes losman). until the FO and that idiot wilson realize you win football games at the line of scrimmage and not with these so called high character, high motor guys, joe montana could play for this crap organization and still look like garbage

The jury is still out on Edwards, but he is showing a lack of confidence in his arm strength and/or his WR's. It almost looks like he checks down too fast because he is afraid of making certain throws. Evans, Reed, Parrish, and Schouman not being big targets contributes to this I think. Obviously, a healthy Owens could make a difference, but so could Johnson winning the #3 spot and Nelson getting more playing time. Give Edwards some big targets and I think he can be effective.

there's nothing wrong with the qb (that includes losman). until the FO and that idiot wilson realize you win football games at the line of scrimmage and not with these so called high character, high motor guys, joe montana could play for this crap organization and still look like garbage

Now you're stating the obvious, but us Bills fans have to work with reality

If Trent goes through this season without showing improvement or, God forbid, regression I think we go QB in next year's draft because it will end up being a top 5-8 pick. You'll have Sam Bradford(likely early entry), Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, and Jevan Snead all right there. The organization will be back to looking for a guy who can lead this team on offense. But this is the Buffalo Bills, so they will likely end up taking Taylor Mays :huh:

I have come to the conclusion that his organization is about as good as it is ever going to be. They haven't drafted a successful quarterback since Before Bill Polian was here. They have wasted several draft picks trading for the QB of the Future, with no luck at all. We haven't had a competent Head Coach since Wade Phillips was here. We have drafted several running backs high in the draft, none of them have stayed here more than 3 or 4 years. The only thing we have excelled at over the last decade is Special Teams, those are about the only player we can draft right are the lower rounders that perform on ST's. Everyone is paying so much attention to how good Trent Edwards is playing this preseason, he hasn't been great, but he has been running for his life everytime he gets the ball. Our O-Line is going to get him killed, another area this organization has failed to pay attention to. I am a life long Bills fan, and as you can tell by this post, frustrated as all get out. I look at it this way, GM's change, Coaches Change, players change, and no change in results-what is the only thing that hasn't changed? Our HOF Owner, maybe he has lost touch with todays game.