Maybin's "Holdout"

Apparently the "holdup" in signing Maybin was because his agent, Joel Segal, was too busy with Michael Vick's deal and only started seriously negotiating just 3 days ago. How pathetic is that?

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/maybin_celebr...th_bills_090821

Bills sources tell News 4 the hold out lasted that long because Maybin's agent, Joel Segal, was tied-up with client Michael Vick.

I don't know if I should still blame Maybin. Although I'm amazed that Maybin hasn't fired Segal over this, considering it cost him training camp, 3 pre-season games, and a lot of ill-will, for a contract that is 3-5X the size of Vick's, if not a lot more.

Apparently the "holdup" in signing Maybin was because his agent, Joel Segal, was too busy with Michael Vick's deal and only started seriously negotiating just 3 days ago. How pathetic is that?

I don't know if I should still blame Maybin. Although I'm amazed that Maybin hasn't fired Segal over this, considering it cost him training camp, 3 pre-season games, and a lot of ill-will, for a contract that is 3-5X the size of Vick's, if not a lot more.

Wow... one of the few times I can claim to have sources deep within the organization!

called it

If that's really why the deal didn't get done until today, Aaron Maybin shouldn't fire his agent.

He should sue his agent. That's sounding like malpractice; Segal was hired to represent Maybin, and if he lost Aaron money, he botched it with negligence. He's allowed to make a mistake, but he screwed the pooch if he just blew off Maybin's contact for Vick's.

If that's really why the deal didn't get done until today, Aaron Maybin shouldn't fire his agent.

He should sue his agent. That's sounding like malpractice; Segal was hired to represent Maybin, and if he lost Aaron money, he botched it with negligence. He's allowed to make a mistake, but he screwed the pooch if he just blew off Maybin's contact for Vick's.

I don't know if Segal really cost Maybin money, so much as he cost him experience. Hard to put a value on that. It's going to depend on how fast Maybin comes up to speed in the next 2-3 preseason games. But I agree with the overall sentiment that rookies command too much clout under this contract. Should Maybin have fired his agent? I can't say that I would have had that foresight and strategic grasp at 21 years old. He's relying on the advice of family and Arrington, and they're telling him to hold his cards. And now he's a rich, rich, rich young man.

This has to be the dumbest twist yet in the "why hadn't Maybin signed yet" saga.

So, first , his "people" claim for weeks that Crabtree's obstinance was the holdup. Now a "Bills source" says that his agent was so busy negotiating Vick's contract that he couldn't come to the phone on behalf of Maybin?

Who on Earth would belive this??!! Come on.

Who would believe an agent would put his first round client on hold to "negotiate" a contract on behalf of a national disgrace for a backup QB position worth a couple of million bucks?

Who would believe that, since Vick signed 8/14 and Maybin signed 8/21, "serious negotiations" only began 3 days before Maybin's signing? So, due to the sheer exhaustion from the intense Vick signing, his agent took 4 days off before he started with the Bills?

What reporter wouldn't say "huh?" upon hearing this, instead of just dropping it in a brief article as if it is naturally credible?

THe money was always somewhat set in stone. The stubbling blocks in these contracts is the length of the contract which is 5 vs 6 years, guaranteed Money, and how much money is given in each year. Teams want to put more money in the last years of the contract versus the first years. Players want it the other way around.

If this is true, it would be the funniest, yet saddest, twist to this whole Maybin thing.

Only in Bills Country.....