sponsors not pulling out of philly

It is too early to determine any impact since it is off-season, Eagles fans are notoriously slow and companies are not going to put out press releases saying they will quit when they have contracts but will include it in renewal of contracts.

Personally I hope they trade him to Cleveland.

all the talk of sponsors pulling out when the vick guessing game was going on now seems to be smoke:

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2009...--just-not-Vick

Well the sponsors weren't saying it. Other people were.

My wife works in the marketing dept. for an Eagles sponsor. They got some angry calls (like 3), and they really haven't gotten any grief from people. They and a couple other sponsors got together and made a joint statement so they were all on the same page. They were more pissed that the Eagles didn't warn them the day before so they could have the PR people work out a statement ahead of time.

The Eagles have had some people turn in their tickets, but who cares? They have 20k people on a wait list.

Well the sponsors weren't saying it. Other people were.

They were more pissed that the Eagles didn't warn them the day before so they could have the PR people work out a statement ahead of time.

The Eagles have had some people turn in their tickets, but who cares? They have 20k people on a wait list.

for your first point, sorry if i implied it was the sponsors talking as i was referring to the talking heads.

second point, i read somewhere that the iggles had sent a letters out to all sponsors as it relates to vick

third, you'd have to be a fool to give up tix because of a player who'll be there for at most 2 years

I work at Dick's Sporting Goods in Rochester, NY and our boss just told us that they got a memo the other day that said that Dick's will not be selling Michael Vick jerseys....

funny thing. dick's wont sell vick jerseys for people, but nfl.com sells vick jerseys for your dog.

isnt it ironic?

I work at Dick's Sporting Goods in Rochester, NY and our boss just told us that they got a memo the other day that said that Dick's will not be selling Michael Vick jerseys....

The actual statement from Dick's said they won't be selling Vick jerseys until they can measure consumer response. The CEO was quoted as saying "if there's demand for it, we'll sell it."

Article from Philly Inquirer re: Vick jersey sales

In other words, we're not going to eat a PR hit unless we're sure we'll make money off it.

second point, i read somewhere that the iggles had sent a letters out to all sponsors as it relates to vick

They did but it was after the fact. A couple places we're pissed because it left them scrambling to put together responses quickly. I know some sponsors had a conference call with Joe Banner to "see what the Eagles thinking was".

I can picture how that call went..."What the hell are you THINKING!?!"

Sponsors reaction as per Philadelphia Daily News

They did but it was after the fact. A couple places we're pissed because it left them scrambling to put together responses quickly. I know some sponsors had a conference call with Joe Banner to "see what the Eagles thinking was".

I can picture how that call went..."What the hell are you THINKING!?!"

Sponsors reaction as per Philadelphia Daily News

Having worked in television for many years, I think it's crazy to let a sponsor know of an impending signing, unless you wanted that signing announced to the world. There are ways to "take the temperature" of your advertisers, and you certainly let them know, in advance, of anything that isn't secret. But nobody in their right mind would trust a sponsor to keep something like that under wraps.

And remember, it is usually better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

Having worked in television for many years, I think it's crazy to let a sponsor know of an impending signing, unless you wanted that signing announced to the world. There are ways to "take the temperature" of your advertisers, and you certainly let them know, in advance, of anything that isn't secret. But nobody in their right mind would trust a sponsor to keep something like that under wraps.

And remember, it is usually better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission.

I'm not saying it's reasonable for the sponsors to expect that. I'm just saying they were mildly pissed that they chose to announce it at 8:30 at night during a game on a Thursday. It made everyone have a discussion at 8am on a summer Friday when a lot of people are OOTO.

I think it took a lot of folks off guard here, particularly given that the owner's wife is apparently very involved in animal rights issues. He really had been dismissed as a viable option for the Eagles and wasn't a big topic of conversation like he was say, here for example.

Also, FWIW, Jeff Lurie cut a $1,500 check to Main Line Animal Rescue the week before Vick was signed and the director ripped him a new one and made noise about returning the money after he was signed. Link

I'm not saying it's reasonable for the sponsors to expect that. I'm just saying they were mildly pissed that they chose to announce it at 8:30 at night during a game on a Thursday. It made everyone have a discussion at 8am on a summer Friday when a lot of people are OOTO.

Oh, I certainly can believe that. I wasn't refuting your story, as it totally rang true. I was simply adding my 2 cents.

Also, FWIW, Jeff Lurie cut a $1,500 check to Main Line Animal Rescue the week before Vick was signed and the director ripped him a new one and made noise about returning the money after he was signed. Link

$1,500? I guess everything is OK, then.

So no Vick's in Dick's? You can't say the reverse for his time in prison though. :lol:

I think it took a lot of folks off guard here, particularly given that the owner's wife is apparently very involved in animal rights issues. He really had been dismissed as a viable option for the Eagles and wasn't a big topic of conversation like he was say, here for example.

The guy is worth millions and yet $1,500 is all he can scrape up? That's just a PR donation and a very poor one at that. :thumbsup: IMO.