Texting while driving PSA

duey

It doesn't matter what the ______ is, if you "________ and drive", it's gonna be bad news. Drinking and driving. Texting and driving. Talking on your cell and driving. Applying makeup and driving. Smoking and driving. Eating and driving. Blasting music and driving.

Anybody ever heard of DRIVING and driving? While there is a major stigma around drinking and driving, it absolutely amazes me that it is considered acceptable to be preoccupied by anything while you're attempting to guide thousands of pounds of metal down the highway at 70 MPH. When I was six, my Mom was almost killed in an auto accident by a drunk driver(still suffers from the side effects to this day), and my blood just boils when I see a soccer mom driving a minivan with her kids in the back, taking a puff of her cigarette and talking on her cell, all the while trying to balance her coffee on the dashboard. :thumbsup:

Bingo.

I'm not crazy about the assorted new laws, as they address the rage of the day, and don't get to the basic issue. There is a specific law prohibiting using a cell phone while driving, but not one prohibiting putting on makeup, reading the paper, lighting a cigarette, etc? Do we really need another law prohibiting one more specific thing? Doesn't a law covering unsafe driving take care of all that?

Best driving advice I ever got was from my gramps...assume that the guy in front of you, and the guy behind you, and the guys to your right or left, are all going to do something idiotic at some point, and probably simultaneously.

Yup. I've probably saved myself half dozen serious accidents over the years by assuming that someone else was going to do something careless and stupid. Being a clueless driver greatly increases your risk of being victimized by a bad driver.

Bingo.

I'm not crazy about the assorted new laws, as they address the rage of the day, and don't get to the basic issue. There is a specific law prohibiting using a cell phone while driving, but not one prohibiting putting on makeup, reading the paper, lighting a cigarette, etc? Do we really need another law prohibiting one more specific thing? Doesn't a law covering unsafe driving take care of all that?

All are problems. The reason why some have targeted cell phones specifically is that it is not only about having your eyes off the road and your hand or hands of the wheel, it is because the brain has difficulty focusing on the conversation and the task of driving. Apparently we visualize the person on the other line and this takes up a lot of our concentration.

All are problems. The reason why some have targeted cell phones specifically is that it is not only about having your eyes off the road and your hand or hands of the wheel, it is because the brain has difficulty focusing on the conversation and the task of driving. Apparently we visualize the person on the other line and this takes up a lot of our concentration.

But hands-free calls are OK (legally), so the law has nothing to do with that. And, it doesn't protect you against a driver having an argument with his wife in the next seat, or trying to control the behavior of his kids in the back seat. All are things that compromise our focus.

I'm convinced the real reason for the specific banning of cell phones and texting, is technophobia. I'm not suggesting they are things that should be allowed, but why are they these specific behaviors singled out?

It seems there is a backlash against modern and constant communication. People are annoyed when you talk on a cell phone in a restaurant (for example) but not if you are talking to the person you are with. If you do them both at the same volume, what's the difference? The bystander can't hear both sides of the conversation? If the problem is the volume of the conversation, shouldn't THAT be what is addressed, not how you are having the conversation?

People get annoyed when a person texts at an event (concert, speech, etc), but they don't seem to complain if a person takes notes. Is there a big difference there?

The truth is, I don't text and when I get a call in a restaurant I almost always step into the lobby or outside. But I think the reaction to these things is often over the top.

But hands-free calls are OK (legally), so the law has nothing to do with that. And, it doesn't protect you against a driver having an argument with his wife in the next seat, or trying to control the behavior of his kids in the back seat. All are things that compromise our focus.

The laws have not caught up to the research showing that even hands free calls cause problems. It turns out that most cell phone calls cause concentration problems. Technology has improved and we can multitask more, but our brains haven't changed.

Again, conversations or arguments in the car do not cause the same problem either because the passengers are paying some attention to the driver's situation and/or because we visual people we are talking to but cannot see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/technolo...acted.html?_r=1

Just because there are other bad things that people do while they drive does not mean that we should ignore the problem of drivers distracted because of cell phone use.

The laws have not caught up to the research showing that even hands free calls cause problems. It turns out that most cell phone calls cause concentration problems. Technology has improved and we can multitask more, but our brains haven't changed.

Again, conversations or arguments in the car do not cause the same problem either because the passengers are paying some attention to the driver's situation and/or because we visual people we are talking to but cannot see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/technolo...acted.html?_r=1

Just because there are other bad things that people do while they drive does not mean that we should ignore the problem of drivers distracted because of cell phone use.

I'd have to see the research (methodology and raw data) that concludes people visualize who that are talking to, so cell phone conversations are more distracting than those with people in the car before I bought into that. Seems very speculative to me.

And I never suggested the distraction cell phones are to driving should be overlooked/ignored. I am suggesting singling them out does the disservice of suggesting other distractions aren't equally important.

Thank god that had nothing to do with e-mailing while driving!

In all seriousness, I don't know what they show at drivers ed now, but they need to get rid of those silly "race the train" or "get drunk after prom" videos and show this stuff. They can make some realistic video using CGI that would be very effective. It also would help to require you to watch this before you get your license or renew it. Make some age appropriate videos for old people, kids, soccer moms, etc.

Now if they were all buckled in to a nice Hummer H2 or H1 instead of that little euro trap... They might be fine. Look at James Dean's accident back in the 1950's... Almost head on at around 60 mph...The guy in the 1950 Ford Custom actually walked home. Dean's Spyder not so well.

I am only joking... Yet, something can be said about what I mentioned. Man was the car the girls were driving small!

A lot of husbands and fathers put their women in big vehicles like SUV's just for that reason ......... they can't drive

Tuesday night on the Elmwood strip my son's car got side-swiped while he was parked at the curb. He had just gotten into the car like 5-10 seconds earlier ......... what might have been. 18 yo girl blew a .20. She hit another car and took down a telephone pole too.

For you people that want something real, here it is. The thread's page 1 & 6 for pictures

life time pain

I'd have to see the research (methodology and raw data) that concludes people visualize who that are talking to, so cell phone conversations are more distracting than those with people in the car before I bought into that. Seems very speculative to me.

And I never suggested the distraction cell phones are to driving should be overlooked/ignored. I am suggesting singling them out does the disservice of suggesting other distractions aren't equally important.

They are showing the results of the research. The why this happens (whether it is because you visualize the person or not) is less important.

They are showing the results of the research. The why this happens (whether it is because you visualize the person or not) is less important.

I totally visulaize when I am talking on the phone... Even hands free.. Same thing with posting... :ph34r::blink: Probably why I literally type as I speak.

BTW, I try not to talk on the phone and drive.

It seems there is a backlash against modern and constant communication. People are annoyed when you talk on a cell phone in a restaurant (for example) but not if you are talking to the person you are with. If you do them both at the same volume, what's the difference? The bystander can't hear both sides of the conversation? If the problem is the volume of the conversation, shouldn't THAT be what is addressed, not how you are having the conversation?

That's the issue, most people don't talk on their cell phones as if the person was sitting across the table from them, they shout.

Tuesday night on the Elmwood strip my son's car got side-swiped while he was parked at the curb. He had just gotten into the car like 5-10 seconds earlier ......... what might have been. 18 yo girl blew a .20. She hit another car and took down a telephone pole too.

For you people that want something real, here it is. The thread's page 1 & 6 for pictures

life time pain

Horrible, so many fuggin' idiots out there. I don't know what I would do if I ever ran into the jackass that left me half- blind, scarred and hobbled for the rest of my life. I would have wrung his neck right at the scene of the accident if not for the broken leg.

No. The problem is that people live should take precedence over people that are on the phone. Same goes for if you are waiting in line and the phone rings... Many workers will answer the phone... No, let it ring... They will call back and someone will pick up when they are not with a at present customer.

Hands free is even worse... A lot of times people don't know who is talking to who... Often people think someone is talking to them only to find out they are on the phone.

What I am saying is that much can be said about the presence of a physical person. IMO, everyting else is vain or selfish.

No. The problem is that people live should take precedence over people that are on the phone. Same goes for if you are waiting in line and the phone rings... Many workers will answer the phone... No, let it ring... They will call back and someone will pick up when they are not with a at present customer.

Hands free is even worse... A lot of times people don't know who is talking to who... Often people think someone is talking to them only to find out they are on the phone.

What I am saying is that much can be said about the presence of a physical person. IMO, everyting else is vain or selfish.

While I don't disagree with your conclusion, I don't think your scenarios necessarily translate to many everyday realities.

First of all, I want to outright disagree on the ringing phone situation. As the live customer, I BEG the person taking care of me to answer the phone to stop the ringing. Put them on hold, tell them you will call back, but don't make my suffer the constant ringing of the phone. I understand business comes in many ways, and the phone is a necessity. I certainly know I don't think highly of a business that can't get to the phone.

Now when it comes to cell phone communication vs. face-to-face communication with people you are with, I'd agree that having extended phone conversations doesn't show much respect for the person you are with. If I am having dinner with a friend, I usually shut my phone off. If I have to take a call (sometimes there really isn't a good way to avoid the responsibility, in this world) I excuse myself, if possible, and make it as short as possible. But if I'm by myself, talking in the appropriate tone of voice for the situation, what's the difference if I am on the phone, or not? Now, I tend to take it outside, as I mentioned, but if someone doesn't, and they ain't with me and they aren't loud, it's really none of my business. And it really doesn't bother me, at all.

First of all, I want to outright disagree on the ringing phone situation. As the live customer, I BEG the person taking care of me to answer the phone to stop the ringing. Put them on hold, tell them you will call back, but don't make my suffer the constant ringing of the phone. I understand business comes in many ways, and the phone is a necessity. I certainly know I don't think highly of a business that can't get to the phone.

Of course, nice point... I agree... The important part is highlighted in blue!

Sometimes that just doesn't happen and you get a full blown conversation/order... I'd rather hear the ringing then! :ph34r:

I have a funny story... One time we were out to dinner and my wife nudges me... Low and behold, there was this couple eating at a two person table... The guy was yacking away to the woman across from him WHILE she was having a conversation on the phone to boot! :blink: What is it with dolts? Same thing when I saw two people crossing the road. :ph34r: