How will Billicheck stop the no huddle?

Beat you to it. LOL. But yeah, I made the almost exact same point as this in the post above yours! :unsure: I actually have told people that SB 25 was one of the most well played offensive SB's in the history of the game.

:lol:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to say that I think, by far, Bill Belicheck is the best coach in the game today. So, this isn't to belittle what he did by helping to beat us in the SB.

However, the thing that really beat the Bills in the Superbowl was the Giants offensive gameplan. The Bills actually put up some offense in that game. It wasn't like it was shut down and ground to a halt. But, the fuggin Giants offense time consuming drives were incredible and painful. They kept the Bills offense off the field, and ate huge amounts of clock.

That was one of the best executed offensive plans in NFL history. And while BB did his part in kind of slowing down Reed, his best defense that day was the Giants offense. If the Bills would have had three more possessions that game, they most likely would have scored in the mid to upper 20's.

It's been a REAL long time, and I actually don't want to go back down this road, but - through the haze of Cabernet - I recall the Bills being up something like 12-2, and Lofton dropping/missing/just-not-making-a-catch on a long bomb. I remember thinking this because if the Bills had made this play, they would have been up 19-2, and the entire Giants game plan of possession football makes one last swirl around the bowl, leaving skid marks and corn as it goes. And Bruce Smith goes to town on Hostetler and a team that was just not designed to score points in a catch-up track meet.

But it didn't happen.

So my point (through the tears and frustration) is that the Giants offensive game plan was fuggin' offensive, and was within one play of proving Parcells and Belicheat to be not so goddamn perfect as everyone makes them out to be.

This all having been said, I repeat my point. If anyone's going to find a way to drop sand into the gears, it's going to be Belicheat. The question SHOULD be.......how do the Bills counter HIS plan? That Pats* offense is built to score points (sorry for the cliche, but you get the point). The Pats*defense ASIDE from the D-Line.............

Meh.

My guess is that the only way the Bills are going to stand a chance is to turn it into a track meet. I don't think the Pats* have the tools to stop the Bills receivers. I don't think the Pats* linebackers match up well against the slot receivers or Freddo coming out of the backfield. Too much speed. The Pats* D-Line has to be neutralized, and if THAT can happen, well, my guess is that there's a fighting chance that the Bills walk away with one. I said "walk away". I didn't say "squeak it out". I mean, they outplay the Pats* mano-a-mano, and walk off with a "W".

The shots of the crowd hurling insults and beer onto the sidelines will make my year.

Good Cabernet?

Not really, Dean. Had some guests up to the lake this past weekend. They've all headed back, and I'm spending the night up here so that I can work on a presentation for Montreal next week. The Cab's a Chilean, and I'm not terribly impressed. Casillero del Diablo. I'd trash it more if I'd purchased it, but one of the guests left it behind, and it winked at me as I walked by.

Goddamn hussy.

What's on your menu tonight?

"I'm into something good" - Herman's Hermits

It's been a REAL long time, and I actually don't want to go back down this road, but - through the haze of Cabernet - I recall the Bills being up something like 12-2, and Lofton dropping/missing/just-not-making-a-catch on a long bomb. I remember thinking this because if the Bills had made this play, they would have been up 19-2, and the entire Giants game plan of possession football makes one last swirl around the bowl, leaving skid marks and corn as it goes. And Bruce Smith goes to town on Hostetler and a team that was just not designed to score points in a catch-up track meet.

But it didn't happen.

So my point (through the tears and frustration) is that the Giants offensive game plan was fuggin' offensive, and was within one play of proving Parcells and Belicheat to be not so goddamn perfect as everyone makes them out to be.

This all having been said, I repeat my point. If anyone's going to find a way to drop sand into the gears, it's going to be Belicheat. The question SHOULD be.......how do the Bills counter HIS plan? That Pats* offense is built to score points (sorry for the cliche, but you get the point). The Pats*defense ASIDE from the D-Line.............

Meh.

My guess is that the only way the Bills are going to stand a chance is to turn it into a track meet. I don't think the Pats* have the tools to stop the Bills receivers. I don't think the Pats* linebackers match up well against the slot receivers or Freddo coming out of the backfield. Too much speed. The Pats* D-Line has to be neutralized, and if THAT can happen, well, my guess is that there's a fighting chance that the Bills walk away with one. I said "walk away". I didn't say "squeak it out". I mean, they outplay the Pats* mano-a-mano, and walk off with a "W".

The shots of the crowd hurling insults and beer onto the sidelines will make my year.

One of the most amazing things to come out of this Super Bowl, and one thing that adds to the mystique of Bill Parcells is that despite the bad start the Giants had, Parcells didn't panic and stuck to his offensive gameplan, and it worked. There are good coaches who know what they do works, and then there is, well......Dick Jauron and staff.

Not really, Dean. Had some guests up to the lake this past weekend. They've all headed back, and I'm spending the night up here so that I can work on a presentation for Montreal next week. The Cab's a Chilean, and I'm not terribly impressed. Casillero del Diablo. I'd trash it more if I'd purchased it, but one of the guests left it behind, and it winked at me as I walked by.

Goddamn hussy.

What's on your menu tonight?

"I'm into something good" - Herman's Hermits

Sipping one of my favorite bargain bourbons, Ezra Brooks 90 proof.

Also just finished smoking a fabulous cigar. CAO LX2. Supurb! Kicked my ass a little, though.

I drink Chilean cabs, from time to time. Usually a decent value, if nothing special. And, if it was free, how can you complain?

One of the most amazing things to come out of this Super Bowl, and one thing that adds to the mystique of Bill Parcells is that despite the bad start the Giants had, Parcells didn't panic and stuck to his offensive gameplan, and it worked. There are good coaches who know what they do works, and then there is, well......Dick Jauron and staff.

Counterfactualization is little more than a fart in a space suit. Both just leave a sour taste in ones mouth. This having been said, I'll engage in it (counterfactualization, that is.....I'm not wearing a spacesuit). If the pass to which I'm referring is caught, and the Bills go up 19-2, well, that offensive game plan, that coaching staff, that composure go.....*POOF*. Kind of like a fart in a space suit.

It's never about stopping the no huddle. It's about stopping the personnel that run it. Until proven otherwise, Bellyache has the front seven to do just that. The question is, what do we have to counter it? My hunch is that we're going to try to spread them out. That catch there is, running a spread offense makes you vulnerable on the edges, which is a strength of his defenses. That said, if TE makes them pay AT ALL when they bring some pressure, they will have to rethink things. But right now, it's advantage Cheats.

As an aside, it may be worth nothing that the last time we played the Pats* we had a pretty good day running at them.

GO BILLS!!!

Sipping one of my favorite bargain bourbons, Ezra Brooks 90 proof.

Also just finished smoking a fabulous cigar. CAO LX2. Supurb! Kicked my ass a little, though.

I drink Chilean cabs, from time to time. Usually a decent value, if nothing special. And, if it was free, how can you complain?

Yes, in the words of Joe Walsh, "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do". It's always nice to be impressed by a new vintage, and this was not one of the moments. Don't get me wrong, I'm not using it to kill weeds in the front yard. I'm using it to kill cells in the front lobe, and it's working.

Never did the cigar thing. Or tobacco thing. Not to say I never smoked. Or inhaled.

"Sing the Changes" - Paul McCartney

It's never about stopping the no huddle. It's about stopping the personnel that run it. Until proven otherwise, Bellyache has the front seven to do just that. The question is, what do we have to counter it? My hunch is that we're going to try to spread them out. That catch there is, running a spread offense makes you vulnerable on the edges, which is a strength of his defenses. That said, if TE makes them pay AT ALL when they bring some pressure, they will have to rethink things. But right now, it's advantage Cheats.

As an aside, it may be worth nothing that the last time we played the Pats* we had a pretty good day running at them.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll start by apologizing that I don't have the stats in front of me for last night's game, but I think the Bills did indeed put together a relatively long drive using the no-huddle, right? Seven-plus minutes? If so, THAT'S how it's done. It's the best of all worlds. Eat up the clock, and make their fat whales suck air. The thing that used to drive me NUTS about Kelly and the K-Gun was when it failed, and they had 3-and-out after 3-and-out after 3-and-out. Because of the sheer talent on those teams they used to pull it off, but WOW do I remember sweating those out.

Belicheat was an incredible defensive coordinator. It should be noted that Parcells never won a Super Bowl without Bill B as his DC.

With that said, the Giants' D didn't "stop the no huddle" in SB 25. The Bills managed to gain 371 yards in that game, in under 20 minutes of total offensive possession time. The Bills gained an average of 6.6 yards per offensive play. The Giants managed 5.3 yards. But they had the ball for over 40 minutes.

The Giants running offense stopped the Bills in that game. That and 150 missed tackles of Ingram on a 3rd and long.

Anyone who thinks letting a team gain 371 yards in 20 minutes constitutes "stopping them" then they must think the Bills D is terrific.

Oh man! You just had to bring up 3rd and 17! Thanks a lot pal.

On a lighter note I was considering heading up to Auggie this weekend for a little R&R. If you have a suggestion for a place with decent wings that will show the game I'm all ears.

I think the bigger question is....how are we going to stop them? Hell, if a miracle happens and we score 30 pts, where's the evidence that we can hold them under 40? This is basically the same defense.

If we get in position to kick 10 field goals, there's no way N.E. gets 40 points.

:unsure:

I'll start by apologizing that I don't have the stats in front of me for last night's game, but I think the Bills did indeed put together a relatively long drive using the no-huddle, right? Seven-plus minutes? If so, THAT'S how it's done. It's the best of all worlds. Eat up the clock, and make their fat whales suck air. The thing that used to drive me NUTS about Kelly and the K-Gun was when it failed, and they had 3-and-out after 3-and-out after 3-and-out. Because of the sheer talent on those teams they used to pull it off, but WOW do I remember sweating those out.

Aye, and there's the proverbial rub. The sheer talent. Especially along the OL. While I like our kids, especially Wood, nobody will confuse our front 5 with Devlin, Richter, Hull, Davis, and Ballard. At least until proven otherwise.

Couldn't agree more with "that's how it's done." Case in point, we held the ball for some 38 minutes last night. Proving once again that even though you use a no huddle you can control pace and eat up large chunks of clock. I love that stategy. But you know as well as I that doing that against the Bears in pre-season and opening day in Foxboro are two different things. The ONLY advantage NE* holds against our O is their front seven. I may even whittle that down to front 'four.' And only because our OLine is a work in progress.

But once Wood bloodies Wilfork (I've been predicting that for a while now), all bets are off.

GO BILLS!!!

Belicheat was an incredible defensive coordinator. It should be noted that Parcells never won a Super Bowl without Bill B as his DC.

With that said, the Giants' D didn't "stop the no huddle" in SB 25. The Bills managed to gain 371 yards in that game, in under 20 minutes of total offensive possession time. The Bills gained an average of 6.6 yards per offensive play. The Giants managed 5.3 yards. But they had the ball for over 40 minutes.

The Giants running offense stopped the Bills in that game. That and 150 missed tackles of Ingram on a 3rd and long.

Anyone who thinks letting a team gain 371 yards in 20 minutes constitutes "stopping them" then they must think the Bills D is terrific.

You know how Red Sux fans are fond of the saying, "Bucky fu*kin' Dent?" With me it's always been "Mark fu*kin' Ingram!" I have no sane reason to think little of the man, but I fricken hate him.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh man! You just had to bring up 3rd and 17! Thanks a lot pal.

On a lighter note I was considering heading up to Auggie this weekend for a little R&R. If you have a suggestion for a place with decent wings that will show the game I'm all ears.

I wonder if ANY bar will have the preseason game live (on Saturday night). Typically the preseason games are hard to find in a bar, unless they are carried on a satellite. Even then, few places have the old Ku or C band dishes. These days, I think more and more preseason games are carried to the visiting market via telephone lines.

I know of a couple of places that MIGHT have it, but no wings to speak of.

Now, if you are talking about the replay on the NFL Network at 4PM, on Sunday, I know of two possibilities.

Panama Hatties on A1A Beach Blvd. (Right next door to my condo complex) It is one of the local Bills bars, and where we watch the regular season games. Wings used to be very good, now it depends.

Hurricane Grill on A1A. Wings are fairly decent (I get extra hot, extra crispy. Not super hot, but good. Their hottest wings are hot enough, but they taste like crap, IMO). Beer and wine only. Not many TVs, but you could probably get them to put the game on.

PM me if you are coming and want more info.

However, the thing that really beat the Bills in the Superbowl was the Giants offensive gameplan. The Bills actually put up some offense in that game. It wasn't like it was shut down and ground to a halt. But, the fuggin Giants offense time consuming drives were incredible and painful. They kept the Bills offense off the field, and ate huge amounts of clock.

Except for that random letter "L" in the last word above, I agree 100%.

I wonder if ANY bar will have the preseason game live (on Saturday night). Typically the preseason games are hard to find in a bar, unless they are carried on a satellite. Even then, few places have the old Ku or C band dishes. These days, I think more and more preseason games are carried to the visiting market via telephone lines.

I know of a couple of places that MIGHT have it, but no wings to speak of.

Now, if you are talking about the replay on the NFL Network at 4PM, on Sunday, I know of two possibilities.

Panama Hatties on A1A Beach Blvd. (Right next door to my condo complex) It is one of the local Bills bars, and where we watch the regular season games. Wings used to be very good, now it depends.

Hurricane Grill on A1A. Wings are fairly decent (I get extra hot, extra crispy. Not super hot, but good. Their hottest wings are hot enough, but they taste like crap, IMO). Beer and wine only. Not many TVs, but you could probably get them to put the game on.

PM me if you are coming and want more info.

My local watering hole still has the old dishes and receivers as back-ups to the HD systems and had many but not all of the games this weekend. If they have access to the game I may put off Auggie till a weekend when I spend the whole weekend AND watch the game. Of course, if they aren't able to get it I probably will head up because I need a break from O-Town for a day or two. If that's the case i'll get in touch and maybe we'll get a chance to have a few pints. Thanks for the suggestions and the info.