any comments on the 1st team oline?

zazie

I can only watch the game through slingbox it is tough to always see the details.

Anyone watch and can give their impression? This is still the crux of the matter I think when it comes to this season.

By the way, so far, Lankster STILL looks much better that Byrd LOL (kind of)...

Still very much a work in progress. I'd love to see someone break down Langston Walker's performance, because I thought he was fortunate to not get called for at LEAST three holding penalties on plays where he was cleanly beaten. But they don't show those kind of replays on the Jumbotron ...

Still very much a work in progress. I'd love to see someone break down Langston Walker's performance, because I thought he was fortunate to not get called for at LEAST three holding penalties on plays where he was cleanly beaten. But they don't show those kind of replays on the Jumbotron ...

Progress is the operative word here. They made real progress! They have three more chances to get better before the

it starts to count and the Peters decision is looking better every time out.

There was a ton of progress from last week. With that said though, the D-line got enough pressure to hurry some horrible QBing by the bears, and the bills o-line had some moderate pass blocking success and more of the same with run blocking. Holes were few and far between, but still a major improvement from last week

yes, much better than last week...pass protection was good, run blocking not so much...but there are still 3 pre-season games left and a lot can be accomplished...I'm optimistic :)

on one of the other threads someone was slaying Levitre, saying he learned nothing since last week about lowering his center of gravity etc etc.. i'll be the first to admit that i wasn't really looking out for things like that - did anyone notice anything like that?

I can only watch the game through slingbox it is tough to always see the details.

Anyone watch and can give their impression? This is still the crux of the matter I think when it comes to this season.

The Bills final drive of the game was impressive. On the ground with that big FB running the ball downhill against the Bears. Yes on know both teams were playing reserves at that time. I have not seen the Bills with a big Fullback attack in a lot of years. It reminded me of the Jim Braxton days for a little while!

I recorded it while I was at the game so I could review this morning. I watched each of the plays from the first 3 drives of each team and was concentrating on the O-Line. No doubt Walker could have been called for holding on at least 2 plays. After focusing more intently on his play I noticed the following:

• He seems to stop the second the play moves away from him. Might be half-a$$ing it in the preseason. Let's hope that's the case (although it might get TE decapitated).
  • He gets turned around too easily
  • If he gets good position on initial contact he seems to be able to get good push.

The o-line overall was sharper than last week, and they appear to be well disciplined, as I would expect far more holding and false start penalties given their lack of experience and the no-huddle being employed.

on one of the other threads someone was slaying Levitre, saying he learned nothing since last week about lowering his center of gravity etc etc.. i'll be the first to admit that i wasn't really looking out for things like that - did anyone notice anything like that?

I didn't catch all of the 1st quarter, but of my limited one time viewing, I didn't notice him getting pushed back as badly as against the Titans. Overall, the running game still didn't seem to be there as I remember Freddy getting stoned @ the LOS quite a bit, but the passing game seemed very consistent.

I have not reviewed the tape yet but a cursory look showed: the Bills better press the pedal to the metal with the no huddle and 3 WR pressure as the young OL was still victimized by or had trouble with stunts or complex rushes, for example the blind side sack of TE happened in part as the young OL players got confused as to whom had who in a specific rush package.

Wood looked good and went deeper in the game to get reps than others. LeVitre was reported to have struggled (again). Bell looked like a very young player and stupidly false started at least once. mcKinney also got his name called in a negative way a couple of times. Walker did not look bad to me out there (but I need to look again so we will see). The run calls were interesting as the Bills seemed to concentrate more on running inside than outside with the play calls (perhaps fearing the pursuit of Briggs and not wanting to test lateral mobility of Urlacher so they ran right up the gut. Overall, Trent had reasonable time to throw and it was reflected in a 10 for 10 performance. Tasker/Bentley remarked on tempo of no huddle being slow and OL was part of that as well (but play calls where WRs had to switch sides of field and them not lining up aggressively was big part of this slowness.

I watched the whole game, and the O-Line improved from game 1. And that of course is their goal. The worst showing was against outside blitzes, where Edwards barely had time to accept the shot-gun snap. Also, I can't wait until the 3 new guys in the middle start feeling comforable about their assignements to just go out and blow people off the line. I'm thinking that will come about 3 or 4 games into the regular season. If they all stay healthy, the Bills can become one of the strongest and toughest O-Lines in the NFL by season's end.

Sure, Lankster had two interceptions, against a QB who most likely won't ever throw a regular season pass in the NFL. And has Byrd even practiced yet? Did you play last night? What's his number? Someone give me a Jarius Byrd update.

DazedandConfused Posted Today, 09:34 AM

..The run calls were interesting as the Bills seemed to concentrate more on running inside than outside with the play calls (perhaps fearing the pursuit of Briggs and not wanting to test lateral mobility of Urlacher so they ran right up the gut. Overall, Trent had reasonable time to throw and it was reflected in a 10 for 10 performance. Tasker/Bentley remarked on tempo of no huddle being slow and OL was part of that as well (but play calls where WRs had to switch sides of field and them not lining up aggressively was big part of this slowness.

I watched the whole game, and the O-Line improved from game 1. And that of course is their goal. The worst showing was against outside blitzes, where Edwards barely had time to accept the shot-gun snap. Also, I can't wait until the 3 new guys in the middle start feeling comforable about their assignements to just go out and blow people off the line. I'm thinking that will come about 3 or 4 games into the regular season. If they all stay healthy, the Bills can become one of the strongest and toughest O-Lines in the NFL by season's end.

Sure, Lankster had two interceptions, against a QB who most likely won't ever throw a regular season pass in the NFL. And has Byrd even practiced yet? Did you play last night? What's his number? Someone give me a Jarius Byrd update.

These posts are getting to the same point, and IMO, the overall plan. Hangartner, Wood & Levitre have been put together to neutralize the 3-4 NT's -sealing him to one side or the other- while sending at least one guy into the first LB. I'd like to believe we weren't afraid of Chicago's pursuit, instead focusing on technique to break the LOS and attack the middle. This may be made easier by the No-huddle, with spread formations..

It all sounds good to me!

I have not reviewed the tape yet but a cursory look showed: the Bills better press the pedal to the metal with the no huddle and 3 WR pressure as the young OL was still victimized by or had trouble with stunts or complex rushes, for example the blind side sack of TE happened in part as the young OL players got confused as to whom had who in a specific rush package.

Wood looked good and went deeper in the game to get reps than others. LeVitre was reported to have struggled (again). Bell looked like a very young player and stupidly false started at least once. mcKinney also got his name called in a negative way a couple of times. Walker did not look bad to me out there (but I need to look again so we will see). The run calls were interesting as the Bills seemed to concentrate more on running inside than outside with the play calls (perhaps fearing the pursuit of Briggs and not wanting to test lateral mobility of Urlacher so they ran right up the gut. Overall, Trent had reasonable time to throw and it was reflected in a 10 for 10 performance. Tasker/Bentley remarked on tempo of no huddle being slow and OL was part of that as well (but play calls where WRs had to switch sides of field and them not lining up aggressively was big part of this slowness.

Didn't the slot CB blitz on that play? Was it Walker's responsibility?

Didn't the slot CB blitz on that play? Was it Walker's responsibility?

That looked like a completely busted play and should be put on the scrap heap.

Lynch came out and did a great job of blocking a DE/LB?, but there was an extra guy that wasn't accounted for. Either Edwards needs to find the open man immediately if they are going to overload one side, throw it away, etc., or, like I said, rip that play, or at least that blocking scheme, out of the playbook.

From what I can tell, and as I said elsewhere, many here missed the opening drive due to NFL Network buffoonery. The first play from scrimmage was smashmouth, right at them, and Lynch ran behind Wood for 6 yards. On the second 1st down, same thing, right at them but this time it was behind Levitre/Walker for five yards. On the one that got stopped at the line, Lynch faked himself out. If he had just gone with his first move, that would have been a 6 yard run as well, he might have even broken it for big yards. He juked outside, and then back in, right into Lance Briggs :unsure:. He knew he screwed up and was obviously mad at himself.

Each time they ran, the LOS moved 2 yards into the Bears backfield. They simply stopped running the ball and started going to pass plays on subsequent drives. I think they did that more for the purpose of calling lots of different plays, than because the run game wasn't working. If this was a real game, I honestly believe that Lynch would have run for 120 yards.

I will watch it again, tonight, but this was like night and day from last week, especially in the run game.

typically the CB on a blitz is a RBs assignment

Yup.

Walker did look to actually go inside to take a man on that play, so there may have been two defenders coming from the outside. (I don't have Tivo, so maybe someone can check.)

That looked like a completely busted play and should be put on the scrap heap.

Lynch came out and did a great job of blocking a DE/LB?, but there was an extra guy that wasn't accounted for. Either Edwards needs to find the open man immediately if they are going to overload one side, throw it away, etc., or, like I said, rip that play, or at least that blocking scheme, out of the playbook.

Pretty much what it looked like to me, too.

As WVU noted, the blitzing CB is usually the RB's responsibility, but it is certainly the QB's responsibility. Trent looks to be a little slow recognizing that blitz, I have noticed.

From what I can tell, and as I said elsewhere, many here missed the opening drive due to NFL Network buffoonery.

Thanks for the comments on the opening drive. I am hoping to catch it on the replay which I will DVR. I believe it comes back on tomorrow night. Have not looked at the directory yet.

I DVR'd the game and watched Wood and Levitre exclusively while the first team offense was out. I thought Levitre had a helluva game...world's better than last week. As an example, he finished and pancaked B. Urlacher on their 2nd play of the game...Urlacher wasn't too happy. I thought he looked consistently good. He was definitely part of the TE sack when Edwards had to step up in the pocket, but I thought it was more LWalker not staying with his guy (it was Walker's guy who actually got the sack). Wood is probably my favorite Bill now because of how he plays on the field and his attitude...i'll leave it at that. What I don't know is how the other 3 guys on the line were playing...I wasn't watching them.

As already mentioned elsewhere, NFL Network, aired the agonizing end of the Falcons game and the insipid post-game wrap up instead of the start of the Bills, so the first several minutes couldn't be seen. It's replayed on Tuesday, so we should be able to see the beginning.

To me, the Bills offense seemed decidedly less ratty than last week (even without Owens), but the Bears offense and Jay Cutler looked hopeless.

The second half of these pre-season games is pathetic, and should be totally ignored. Reminds me of an amateur dance school recital...argghhh...

Bobby April has some work to do.

As already mentioned elsewhere, NFL Network, aired the agonizing end of the Falcons game and the insipid post-game wrap up instead of the start of the Bills, so the first several minutes couldn't be seen. It's replayed on Tuesday, so we should be able to see the beginning.

To me, the Bills offense seemed decidedly less ratty than last week (even without Owens), but the Bears offense and Jay Cutler looked hopeless.

The second half of these pre-season games is pathetic, and should be totally ignored. Reminds me of an amateur dance school recital...argghhh...

Bobby April has some work to do.

FYI, I think it is also repeated tomorrow afternoon (1PM Eastern). But I'm not sure they won't cut off the beginning again. I sure hope not.