No Huddle...

Both the Patriots and Eagles were using the no huddle with starters in last nights preseason game.

Brady played the first half and looked good throwing to Moss and Gallaway, they also have another Wes Welker clone in WR Julian Edelman.

After watching a good chunk of the Steelers/Cards game, I tuned into the Cowboys/Raiders...not a very good game, but Sam Hurd had a nice game for the Cowboys...

btw- if the Cardinals should release Tyler Palko, I would love to see him on the Bills roster. Every time I have seen this kid play, he has looked pretty damn good...I don't know how likely it is for him to be waived, but I hope he is on the Bills radar, if they really have been "sniffing around" for another QB. He was good at the college level, and looks to have some NFL ability...

Even with clock killing concepts with a late lead, I'm beginning to think huddles are going the way of the leather helmet. With radio communication to the QB, there's really no need to gather up secretly to discuss the play, sans snap count. Being on the LOS forces the defense into a set, regardless of their personnel, while keeping the D from changing people based on down/distance.

I wonder why it's taken so long.. :thumbsup:

Even with clock killing concepts with a late lead, I'm beginning to think huddles are going the way of the leather helmet. With radio communication to the QB, there's really no need to gather up secretly to discuss the play, sans snap count. Being on the LOS forces the defense into a set, regardless of their personnel, while keeping the D from changing people based on down/distance.

I wonder why it's taken so long.. :thumbsup:

Interesting points.

I have concerns about the OL not being on the same page, though. A grossly missed assignment - especially with high crowd noise inhibiting QB playcalls at the LOS - can mean a straight shot to a QB by a large person.

An offense with long experience working with each other, a wizened QB is a different situation than the current Bills' offense. I understand how it can throw a wrench in a D's set and substitutions. I guess it comes down to to risk/reward guess.

I also think a no-huddle diminishes the role of the QB as the "field general". His force of personality to inspire and direct the troops, so to speak, - to admonish this wr to turn around an look back for a relief-valve pass, tell a back to watch out for that LB I saw creeping up last play etc.

There's an old saying:

"A General is but a fighting man, who happens to have an army at his disposal."

Interesting points.

I have concerns about the OL not being on the same page, though. A grossly missed assignment - especially with high crowd noise inhibiting QB playcalls at the LOS - can mean a straight shot to a QB by a large person.

I also think a no-huddle diminishes the role of the QB as the "field general", so to speak. His force of personality to inspire and direct the troops, so to speak, - to admonish this wr to turn around an look back for a relief-valve pass, tell a back to watch out for that LB I saw creeping up last play etc.

There's an old saying:

Did the Germans huddle up before they attacked Pearl Harbor? Didn't think so.

All kidding aside, remember those Monday nighters at Pitt and KC when the crowd noise severely limited the OL's ability to hear Kelly? He got creamed a few times. Your point is well taken.

I also believe the return of the leather helmut is long overdue.

GO BILLS!!!

Interesting points.

An offense with long experience working with each other, a wizened QB is a different situation than the current Bills' offense. I understand how it can throw a wrench in a D's set and substitutions. I guess it comes down to to risk/reward guess.

I also think a no-huddle diminishes the role of the QB as the "field general". His force of personality to inspire and direct the troops, so to speak, - to admonish this wr to turn around an look back for a relief-valve pass, tell a back to watch out for that LB I saw creeping up last play etc.

There's an old saying:

Watch Payton Manning and the Colts sometime, they rarely huddle up and the offense hurries to the LoS and he starts barking audibles using the complete clock sometimes to confuse the defense. He can change the play depending on what defense he see's, or just bark out nothing to make the defense even more confused. If anyone were ever a field general, its Payton Manning.

As another poster sorta stated, the no huddle really depends on each linemen knowing and understanding each call and read to be ready to block their man when the ball snaps, it takes time and that fabled word "Continuity", which the Bills currently don't appear to have much right now,but it is only the first preseason game.

I would bet no huddles and wildcat style formations will be all the rage over the next few years...

I hear ya, especially given the copycat nature of the league. But not every team has a Ronnie Brown to run the wildcat. He's a special back.

GO BILLS!!!

I wonder why it's taken so long.. :blink:

Not to blow this out of proportion, but there were issues last season getting the play in. I can recall multiple times in which Buffalo needed to use a TO to avoid a delay of game penalty.

I agree with the idea of getting the OL on the same page. The best offenses which ran the no-huddle were veteran laden teams, particularly at QB and on the OL. Those two items concern me if this will be the base offense.

Watch Payton Manning and the Colts sometime, they rarely huddle up and the offense hurries to the LoS and he starts barking audibles using the complete clock sometimes to confuse the defense. He can change the play depending on what defense he see's, or just bark out nothing to make the defense even more confused. If anyone were ever a field general, its Payton Manning.

As another poster sorta stated, the no huddle really depends on each linemen knowing and understanding each call and read to be ready to block their man when the ball snaps, it takes time and that fabled word "Continuity", which the Bills currently don't appear to have much right now,but it is only the first preseason game.

Yep - he qualifies. With advantages. The Colts' OC Tom Moore has been on the job for 12 seasons. The GM's philosophy has been in place for years. For that club, there is only one page to stay on - and it's been a successful one.

They certainly change player personnel, as all clubs do.

Yep - he qualifies. With advantages. The Colts' OC Tom Moore has been on the job for 12 seasons. The GM's philosophy has been in place for years. For that club, there is only one page to stay on - and it's been a successful one.

They certainly change player personnel, as all clubs do.

I think Cinci with a no huddle, we don't have to hurry up as one would think the name would require. With the no huddle he can go to guys, line them up and tell them on the fly what he wants. To me, it's the ultimate form of control a qb can have.

I hear ya, especially given the copycat nature of the league. But not every team has a Ronnie Brown to run the wildcat. He's a special back.

GO BILLS!!!

Vogue offenses only work if you have the right people....let's hope we have the right people for a no huddle attack...