My own game notes

Trent was also cover-your-eyes awful. I'll never be convinced that guy is an NFL starter, sorry.

Your general dislike for Trent has blinded your vision.....How was TE awful? Based on that pick downfield on the Lee Evans attempt? He got hit while throwing....Levitre got manhandled on the play.

Good notes but I disagree about Fitz. 3 times he led us down to the red zone. On one throw in the endzone, he put the ball where only Reed could make a play on it. By Reed's reaction, it seems like he could have made a better play on it. He also threw one to Roscoe in the endzone on 4th down that look very catchable. Additionally, if that is TO instead of Jenkins on that one pass, it's a touchdown.

Fitz looked pretty good in his first game for a new team IMO.

Fitz covered less ground then Hamdan did, Fitz got the ball in far better spots then Hamdan plus Fitz had penalties in his favor where as the o-line got 2 or 3 holding penalties against with Hamdan and Fitz had far better protection then Hamdan.

Fitz covered less ground then Hamdan did, Fitz got the ball in far better spots then Hamdan plus Fitz had penalties in his favor where as the o-line got 2 or 3 holding penalties against with Hamdan and Fitz had far better protection then Hamdan.

Judging by your avatar, I'm sure you're not biased at all. :thumbsup:

Hamden has also been in this offense for 3 years. Fitz has had about 10 practices. Addiitonally, Hamdem played against 3 and 4th stringers. Best case scenario is both QBs step their game up. But Fitz is not nearly as bad as he is made out to be and I feel while only improve with more familarity with the offense and players.

Actually, I watched it twice. And for some reason, people are just against Fitz. He was not that bad, especially in his first game with a new team playing a weeke earlier than normal. Every starting receiver in the league would have caught that ball he threw to Jenkins. With that throw, he is looking at 90 + yards passing, a touchdown, and leading us to 13 poijts in a quarter.

trust me, there is a lot worse we could do that Fitz and he isn't in the league anymore.

I'll reiterate things I posted about Fitz, having watched him last season.

- The 1st 3 or 4 games, he was abused by the opposition. It was ugly.

- He started to make quick decisions. When he didn't see much, he ran, and ran smartly.

- I didn't see much in the way of basic passing flaws.

- Houshmanzedeh certainly helped him.

- He clearly became the director of the offense, such as it was (3 OLs out, receiver injuries, mediocre run game). 6 of his 8 td passes were inside the 20, and only 1 of his 9 ints - so he was decent in getting the ball past the goal line when in the red zone.

I also noted that there was the fact that as the season wore on, the opposition didn't really have a handle on him - analogous to the pitcher brought up from the minors.

He was signed by BUF shortly after he his the market. CIN would have re-signed him, but they have so much money tied up in Palmer, it wasn't going to happen.

So the jury is still out.

BUF paid a nice sum. If they were right or wrong in their evaluation, I guess we will see.

Levitre didn't do anything to make me think he's anything special, but it was only his first game, so time will tell.

I hope the offense is holding back the deep throws. Once again, we do nothing but little dump offs, short outs, and short passes across the middle. The only deep balls resulted in an interception and an incomplete pass to Justin Jenkins who turned his head WAY too late. Jenkins and Bruce Hall look like candidates for visits from the Turk. Felton looked good.

Schobel has a ways to come back. He looked incredibly slow. Our rush is non-existent. Our LB corps was totally confused by the Titans misdirection plays, and if they can't cover Alge Crumpler, they're not going to be able to cover anyone. The pass defense really looked bad, IMO. Run defense was spotty.

For a guy that was 11 of 13, Hamdan had a very quiet performance. Fitzpatrick did not look as bad as most are saying. I feel a little better about him, but not much. Edwards played well except for the interception. He seemed to have a good sense of the pocket, again with the exception of the overthrow and pick.

While preseason doesn't mean squat, the Bills showed little to encourage me that they can even be a .500 team in this game. We'll see what they look like against da Bears.

- The thing about Fit vs Hamden is you just get the feeling Hamden has more of a control over the team.....you can just see with Fitz that the game is moving REALLY FAST....jittery jittery jittery. And you get the feeling that at any time GH could take a down the field shot but with Fitz you never really feel that he might go play action and take a shot..........I dont want Losman type deep field throwing but you have to at least have the threat of it

-

To me Fitz looked like a deer caught in the headlights and he als looked to me like he was playing scared.

I agree Hampdan looked so poised and in total control of the offense.

With that being said I really hope back up is up for grabs and Not a gimme for FItz who I was not happy we picked up in the first place.

Schobel has a ways to come back. He looked incredibly slow.

Yeah, he looked really slow on one of the first plays of the game where he rushed the passer, then turned around and ran to make a tackle 10 yards downfield.

Real slow. :doh:

To me Fitz looked like a deer caught in the headlights and he als looked to me like he was playing scared.

I agree Hampdan looked so poised and in total control of the offense.

With that being said I really hope back up is up for grabs and Not a gimme for FItz who I was not happy we picked up in the first place.

Funny. While I definitely thought that Fitz was rusty/not ready, which is definitely not a surprise for his first action with a new team on an early preseason game, I thought Hamden was horrible. It's his 4th year here and I think I'd rather have Jeff George with his cane than Hamden. He's flat out not an NFL caliber QB.

I expect Fitz to improve over preseason. Considering what a weak class of backup QB's there were out there this offseason, I thought he was a decent choice.

Judging by your avatar, I'm sure you're not biased at all. :doh:

Hamden has also been in this offense for 3 years. Fitz has had about 10 practices. Addiitonally, Hamdem played against 3 and 4th stringers. Best case scenario is both QBs step their game up. But Fitz is not nearly as bad as he is made out to be and I feel while only improve with more familarity with the offense and players.

Actually I try not to be biased at all. Never did I judge Fitz his performance in the hof game. I even believe this was the first comment I made about Hamdan his performance versus Fitz. Here's the breakdown;

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=5472...9&week=PRE0

Fitz drive 1

starting o-line in

starting position: Buffalo 9

passing:0/0/0

running:2/2

sacks:1

penalty yards:0

net yards:2

Play calling: run-run-pass

first downs:0

score:0

Hamdan drive 1

not sure on the o-line

starting position: Buffalo 24

passing: 1/1/6

running: 2/3

sacks: 0

penalty yards: 0

net yards: 9

Play calling: run-run-pass

first downs: 0

Fitz drive 2

mix of second unit and starting unit o-line

starting position: Tennessee 43

passing:4/2/12

running:5/21

sacks:0

penalty yards: 0

net yards: 33

Play calling: run-pass-pass-pass-run-run-run-run-pass

first downs:2

Hamdan drive 2

mix of third-second stringers o-line

starting position: Buffalo 32

passing: 7/5/41

running: 1/3

penalty yards: -10

net yards: 34

Play calling: pass-pass-run-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass

first downs: 2

score: 3

Fitz drive 3

not sure on o-line

starting position: Tennesse 43

passing:5/3/30

running:2/6

penalty yards: +5

net yards: 41

Play calling: pass-run-pass-pass-run-pass-pass

first downs:2 (1 by penalty)

score:3

Hamdan drive 3

mix of third-second stringers o-line

starting position: Buffalo 15

passing: 7/5/42

running: 3/1

penalty yards: -10

Play calling: pass-pass-run-pass-pass-pass-pass-pass

first downs: 3

score: 0

Fitz drive 4

not sure on o-line

starting position: Buffalo 37

passing:3/2/18

running:1/0

penalty yards: +15

Play calling: pass-run-pass-pass

first downs:1

score:3

To me it looked like Fitz was getting decent protection where as Hamdan was getting no protection at all and was under constant pressure, in all honesty I havent seen Fitz his 4th drive since and cant remember his 3rd drive for the live of me; i fell asleep during his 3rd drive to wake up right in time for Hamdan his first snap. Hence I didnt join into the judging Fitz versus Hamdan discussions. What I've seen of Fitz was that he looked nervous and very much the sheep in a fox it's burrow. However Hamdan did look very much in control with good pocket awareness, strong leadership, and good time buying skills, he seemed to get everything out of what he was given. He looked the pro amongst amateurs.

Now the question is will Hamdan be able to perform the same when playing against the second stringers as Fitz did. I believe he does, but the proof isnt out there. If it were a qb battle which I believe it isnt, I'd give this round to Hamdan for sure. But what people shouldnt forget is that Fitz is still new to system and has only been through the otas and 12 practises. In that light I think Fitz did an ok job, but lacked the radiation of being the offensive leader a quarterback is.

We'll see how Fitz progresses thoughout the preseason. Also it would be interesting to see how both would perform given enough time to make the deeper throws. As a coach I'd invest into playing both my 2nd and 3rd qb for one drive each with the starting unit, that way if your number 1 qb goes down they will have had at least (sure it's minimal) 1 drive under starting conditions and more importantly it would also give me as a coach a solid comparision between my 2 backups.

Funny. While I definitely thought that Fitz was rusty/not ready, which is definitely not a surprise for his first action with a new team on an early preseason game, I thought Hamden was horrible. It's his 4th year here and I think I'd rather have Jeff George with his cane than Hamden. He's flat out not an NFL caliber QB.

I expect Fitz to improve over preseason. Considering what a weak class of backup QB's there were out there this offseason, I thought he was a decent choice.

I think Collinsworth made a comment about the Chinese fire drill going on in the Titan's defensive backfield when GH was in - a bunch of iffy players running around (more or less picking their noses).

Preseason stuff. Same for Omon. Who could begin to count the number of rbs that looked like the 2nd coming of Jim Brown, in the preseason?

Then they get cut, and no other team is out there burning up the phones to ink them to a contract. Then they show up in camp next year. And cut again.

There are only 53 seats on the bus.

Actually, I watched it twice. And for some reason, people are just against Fitz. He was not that bad, especially in his first game with a new team playing a weeke earlier than normal. Every starting receiver in the league would have caught that ball he threw to Jenkins. With that throw, he is looking at 90 + yards passing, a touchdown, and leading us to 13 poijts in a quarter.

trust me, there is a lot worse we could do that Fitz and he isn't in the league anymore.

Check the other threads. You're pretty much the only person who thought fitzpatrick played good. But, given the fact that you actually think jauron is a good coach capable of leading this team to the super bowl, i can accept that your perception is naturally skewed to be amazed by mediocrity.

Fitzpatrick looked pretty bad.

He had 3 balls thrown into the ground....Reed just happened to make a catch on one of them.

He scrambled WAY too early in my opinion. He had Nelson coming open in the end zone and just needed to absorb a hit, but he scrambled right and pooched the drive.

Trent has 2x the velocity on his throws between 12-20 yards.

If Edwards goes down for a game or two, maybe Fitzpatrick can play smart Jauron Ball and we eek out a 13-10 win....but he doesn't look to have the tools to be a starter. Granted it's 1 preseason game, but I am not ready to go to the windows off of that performance.

Yeah, he looked really slow on one of the first plays of the game where he rushed the passer, then turned around and ran to make a tackle 10 yards downfield.

Real slow. :sick:

I'll watch it again to see his one tackle. Most of the time I saw him get neutralized on his speedy pass rush. He really had Kerry Collins panicking. :doh: