Ring my Bell Demetrius

Sorry if I'm getting redundant with my praise of Demetrius Bell, but from what I saw again last night, I still think he's gonna be a good one, maybe sooner than some thought.

Just reviewed the first couple of offensive series, and the guy looks decent, especially in pass protection. Very good footwork. Playing against the Titans first team, he doesn't appear at all out of place. With a little more playing time and live game experience, we might have solved a whole litany of problems on the O-line. Did he look like an all-pro? No. But he also wasn't being pushed around, and additionally, the guy hustled to make plays outside of the wedge.

If he does take that next step, it could free Butler to move back into a guard position, and give Levitre, who stuggled last night, a little more time to develop his techniques before he's thrown to the lions during the real season. Unless it was just a case of baptism by fire and nerves, Levitre could be a real liability, compromising the structure of the whole line. This could lead to Edwards being sidelined.

I think the coaches might backoff on their previous commitment to the five O-line personnel they've all but penciled in.

Maybe at some point, Bell could move into the LT position, returning Walker to his comfort zone at RT.

Bold predicition: he'll be starting on opening day.

I sure hope so, not only would it be great for the team but it couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. Poor kid has been through a lot with his idiot father.

How so? I believe he was estranged from his father, but that's hardly unusual.

Did the old man practice 3 pointers off his head or something?

How so? I believe he was estranged from his father, but that's hardly unusual.

Did the old man practice 3 pointers off his head or something?

There's a bit more to the story DML. Yes he was estranged as you put it. In addition Malone statutorily raped Bell's Mom. Then when he was a multi-millionaire, he rejected Bell.

"The two have had very little contact during Bell’s life. His mother, Gloria Bell, reportedly was only 13 years old and Malone a college sophomore at Louisiana Tech when Demetrius was born. Malone might have served jail time had her family asked the district attorney to file criminal charges.

Bell didn’t even know Malone was his father until after graduating from high school. When they finally met, Malone told the 18-year-old Bell it was too late to be his father, and that Bell would have to “earn his money on his own.”

That was Kearse he was going against last night.....just want to make sure everyone understands that

Exactly for I saw him get abused 2 plays in a row - Hamdan saved him by running and getting rid of the ball. So if you want to overemphasize the few plays Levitre struggled, Bell had a few breakdowns in the second half as well.

I'm actually more worried about the out of shape LT who was huffing and puffing on the first series. Therefore, I hope Bell works out and can slide to LT and get Walker back at RT because I think he's going to be a problem. Bad condition + not wanting to be there = trouble.

I'm actually more worried about the out of shape LT who was huffing and puffing on the first series. Therefore, I hope Bell works out and can slide to LT and get Walker back at RT because I think he's going to be a problem. Bad condition + not wanting to be there = trouble.

Just like the LT situation last year. :thumbsup:

Exactly for I saw him get abused 2 plays in a row - Hamdan saved him by running and getting rid of the ball. So if you want to overemphasize the few plays Levitre struggled, Bell had a few breakdowns in the second half as well.

So you are expecting perfection against a pass rusher like Kearse? PETERS in his first start would have had that trouble as well...........

The whole of his work was pretty darn good.

There's a bit more to the story DML. Yes he was estranged as you put it. In addition Malone statutorily raped Bell's Mom. Then when he was a multi-millionaire, he rejected Bell.

"The two have had very little contact during Bell’s life. His mother, Gloria Bell, reportedly was only 13 years old and Malone a college sophomore at Louisiana Tech when Demetrius was born. Malone might have served jail time had her family asked the district attorney to file criminal charges.

Bell didn’t even know Malone was his father until after graduating from high school. When they finally met, Malone told the 18-year-old Bell it was too late to be his father, and that Bell would have to “earn his money on his own.”

Sadly for Malone, he IS earning his money on his own likely much better than the rest of Malone children ever will.

On the flip side, I am sure that while Malone maybe didn't see the kid or care about him, he did very likely pay child support as dictated by the court or otherwise agreed. If not, you would have heard about that for certain.

Plenty of other "baby-mamas" have really had to go it alone which would have been worse for Demetrious.

Still Karl is a bit scummy for the whole thing. 13 yrs old??? That really IS rape, no matter how you look at it. It was not a nubile and well developed 16 yr old honeypot who trapped him, it was a child.

Think we'll be grasping at O-line straws like this one (about Bell being "ready" to start) all year.

Especially with Butler's bad back, never a good sign for any worker, let alone an NFL lineman.

We'll try Bell, we'll try Levitre, then Chambers, then...some other great hope. But the fact is, this is a bad situation the FO got us into and we will pay for it this season (look out, Trent!)

I agreed with the Peters deal; I just think it was a big gamble and will take some time before it pays off...if ever.

Hopefully, those who see Bell as the answer at either tackle spot will be right.

As much as I like Bell I hope they don't rush him up. To me Bell isn't as regular season game ready as everyone thinks, while he has improved a lot over the last year he still to me needs to be a better run blocker and improve a little bit on his pass blocking ability.

My dream scenario for the offensive line this year was for Walker to look respectable the first few games but than get replaced by Bell and have Bell be the LT going froward (Or at least give him 6-8 games to see if he is the answer). Than the rest of the line play well and have the line going froward be Bell-Levitre-Hangartner-Wood-Butler a young group who could play with each other for 4-5 season and form a really good unit.

The pre-season game hasn't really changed my outlook because I expected to see the line struggle early (Although Wood looked nasty like a Chris Snee like guard) but I will give Levitre a break first game on a unfamiliar unit at an unfamiliar position going up against one of the best front sevens in the AFC I wasn't expecting much.

Bell's performance showed me that he has gotten better (Last year he dominated the third stringers and looked very average against second stringers) This year he looked like he belonged out there with the first team not saying he was good but he looked respectable and not lost at all out there.

The other poster intimated that he was treated poorly by Malone. Too me, that's Joe Jackson, not Karl Malone. He simply didn't ackowledge him. No different than many other NFL players lack of relationships with their spern donor father. TO lived across the street from his old man and didn't know of the link until he was 9 years old. It's not like was exactly Father of the Year. T.O. didn't know him in any kind of father/son kind of way. Bell's parental situation is far from unique.

Bell did look good last night but i think everyone should wait to see Brad Butler perform before you make predictions that Bell is gonna start.

My point is that if Bell lives up to this praise throughout preseason, maybe it would provide an opportunity to juggle the line, have Butler at guard, and get the all too green Levitre time to get acclimated. I don't think anyone is suggesting a Butler for Bell swap.

I say we move Langston Walker and Demetrius Bell to RT (have 2 RTs that is), play with no LT, and have Trent roll out to the strong side every time. Sigh.

Yes. Yes. Finally, someone who's thinking like the innovator we need on this team. Let's take it a step further and line up 5 kickers on kickoffs! They won't know what hit 'em. Whatdya say? Jeff Fisher - eat my shorts.

And the award for worst thread title goes to......

Thanks you thank you. I'm getting all flush (uses hands to fan his face).

You like me. You really like me. (throws kisses)I love you all. Thank you so much. (tears of joy)

So you are expecting perfection against a pass rusher like Kearse? PETERS in his first start would have had that trouble as well...........

The whole of his work was pretty darn good.

No he did well against Kearse....as the first poster pointed out. But when Hamdan was in, the pressure around the end was quick and yes Bell was part of it. I want him to succeed but when I saw #77 get abused 2 consecutive plays, I thought that was another backup OT but then I realized that was Bell and after that I can see why the coaching staff is kind of shaky on him starting as while he has potential he isn't ready yet but who knows he may improve or was just tired and not use to playing for a long extended time as we all know Jauron practices are soft. Anybody who Tivoed the game can go back and look at Bell play when Hamdan was in and they can verify this.

Malone was nothing more than a sperm provider. To say he is Bell's father is an insult to Bell.