What I saw from last nights game

I'm confused Metal...wouldn't you say that--supposing they run the play clock down throughout the game as they did last night--this would keep the defense off of the field longer and thus make them less tired in the 4th? Or are we misunderstanding each other?

I agree it would make them less worn down using the clock that way therefore the "no-huddle will kill our defense" argument doesn't make sense.

I was just saying that the defense has traditionally been worn down come the 4th quarter anyway these past few years so would likely still be beat up come the end of the game this season anyway.

-See Bills Defense 4th Quarter Rushing Stats- :thumbsup:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did we look great at all last year in the preseason? Can't remember, but I have a feeling the answer is a "no." We were told that "This is just preseason" and it's "Nothing to worry about" IIRC.

We were all right last year in pre-season as far as the starters go. We looked good against the Steelers in the second game and looked good in the third game where both teams play the starters into the third quarter. I think we were tied or leading going into halftime in all three games where the starters played. Didnt score a ton of points but we didnt look terrible.

I agree it would make them less worn down using the clock that way therefore the "no-huddle will kill our defense" argument doesn't make sense.

I was just saying that the defense has traditionally been worn down come the 4th quarter anyway these past few years so would likely still be beat up come the end of the game this season anyway.

-See Bills Defense 4th Quarter Rushing Stats- :thumbsup:

gotcha.

i had a feeling that's what you meant, but i didn't want to infer.

You would think, as a New England fan (a team that runs the no huddle often enough), that you'd know the difference between "no-huddle" and "hurry-up". Just because a team does not huddle, that doesn't mean they're in a hurry up offense. All it means is that they call plays from the line of scrimmage, which accomplishes 3 main goals: (1) gives the offense a chance to read the defensive alignment prior to calling a play, (2) affords the offense the opportunity to go on a quick-count if the defense is tired, disorganized, or unprepared, and (3) does not allow the defense time to substitute. During last night's game, Edwards and the starting offense used, on average, 33 seconds of play clock time per play (at least that's what Kelso said on the radio prior to the 2nd half kickoff).

If that is indeed true, that's a pretty good number. You don't always use that much of the play clock when you do huddle.

The no huddle, as I have said before, works the best when you use the same amount of time pre-snap as with any other offense, you just do it at the LOS instead of in the huddle.

If that is indeed true, that's a pretty good number. You don't always use that much of the play clock when you do huddle.

The no huddle, as I have said before, works the best when you use the same amount of time pre-snap as with any other offense, you just do it at the LOS instead of in the huddle.

I don't know if I agree with that last sentence, sometimes it works best when you indeed do a hurry-up in addition to a no huddle. But you're right that a no huddle doesn't necessarily mean a hurry-up offense. The Bills didnt really seem to be in much of a hurry to get plays off quickly in their version of it last night.

notice how we consistently keep getting burned by opposing TEs and slot receivers..

Crumpler was all over the place to begin with and we couldn't keep up with him

I'm surprised they got fooled by the fake punt. No wait a minute, I'm not.

Congrats to Jeff Fisher for winning the first pre-season game of the 2009 season!

Nice post. I disagree on Fitzpatrick though, slightly. I thought he looked distinctly below average. After all, he is not a rookie but a veteran QB with starting experience in the NFL and was playing against the Titans backups. When Edwards pulls up lame again, there is no reason to think Fitzpatrick can run this up-tempo offense from what he displayed last night.

I have to agree. I think Fitzpatrick looked really bad. I would have thought we could have brought in a more qualified backup for Edwards with his injury history. This is what we'll have to deal with if Trent goes down? Well maybe signing Vick isn't so crazy. :thumbsup:

Exactly my thoughts in watching that play. I know that it's a lot easier to relax and make good decisions when you're not worried about the pass rush, but realistically that's not going to be the case this year. If Edwards is going to have a good year he's going to have to make good, quick decisions in the face of some pressure. It wouldn't hurt if he developed a little more mobility inside the pocket either.

Yup...If we are going to go anywhere this year, Trent is going to be able to not only work on his pocket mobility and feel, but also his reads. Last year he didnt see many open WR's all the time just to check down when his hot read wasnt there. A lot of that can be attributed to being a young QB, but he needs to step that up this year until the line can gel. I do feel our Line will be an upgrade over last year eventually this season, but it may take til mid season for them to get there. Until then, Trent needs to make up for the inconsistency with quick reads and smart throws.

My concern again is his ego. Last year he had no pressure on him to start the season and played his best then (even though it was still average most of the time). Once we all of a sudden were 6-2 and front runners for our division with Brady out, the pressure got high...coincidentally Trent began playing the worst he has ever played for most of the rest of the season. Once he struggled he really struggled.

Now this year, there is a LOT of expectations on this team to be better than last year and make the playoffs. The offense expecially is loaded and everyone knows its on Trent to put it together. So, if he starts struggling again, will his ego be intact and will he be able to play through it? That is the million dollar question...

Yup...If we are going to go anywhere this year, Trent is going to be able to not only work on his pocket mobility and feel, but also his reads. Last year he didnt see many open WR's all the time just to check down when his hot read wasnt there. A lot of that can be attributed to being a young QB, but he needs to step that up this year until the line can gel. I do feel our Line will be an upgrade over last year eventually this season, but it may take til mid season for them to get there. Until then, Trent needs to make up for the inconsistency with quick reads and smart throws.

My concern again is his ego. Last year he had no pressure on him to start the season and played his best then (even though it was still average most of the time). Once we all of a sudden were 6-2 and front runners for our division with Brady out, the pressure got high...coincidentally Trent began playing the worst he has ever played for most of the rest of the season. Once he struggled he really struggled.

Now this year, there is a LOT of expectations on this team to be better than last year and make the playoffs. The offense expecially is loaded and everyone knows its on Trent to put it together. So, if he starts struggling again, will his ego be intact and will he be able to play through it? That is the million dollar question...

I don't think that was as much an ego thing as it was a concussion thing. Most players who suffer concussions take a while to fully recover. Trent was brought back way too quickly from a concussion and I think that attributed to his gun shyness and poor decisions. I think as long as he doesn't get his brains scrambled again this year he'll be just fine.

I don't think that was as much an ego thing as it was a concussion thing. Most players who suffer concussions take a while to fully recover. Trent was brought back way too quickly from a concussion and I think that attributed to his gun shyness and poor decisions. I think as long as he doesn't get his brains scrambled again this year he'll be just fine.

Trent's first game back after the concussion was against the Chargers and it was probably the best game he played all year. He was very sharp.

Anyone who thinks Hamdan is better than Fitzpatrick has to be kidding themselves.

Hamdan sees the field better.

He senses pressure better.

He makes better decisions with the ball.

His timing and accuracy seem to be superior.

He's better at buying extra space and time.

He seems to have a better grasp of the offense.

He's slower to panic.

Fitzpatrick is, ummmmm, errrrrrrr, uhhhhh, Irish?

Trent's first game back after the concussion was against the Chargers and it was probably the best game he played all year. He was very sharp.

Chargers didn't have Merriman, or much of anyone else who could rush the passer. I should also note that most of Edwards' throws were swing passes and dumpoffs that day, with only four completions traveling more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage in the air.

Of course, there might have also been a second brain-rattling hit at some point after that game, one which wasn't advertised...

Hamdan sees the field better.

He senses pressure better.

He makes better decisions with the ball.

His timing and accuracy seem to be superior.

He's better at buying extra space and time.

He seems to have a better grasp of the offense.

He's slower to panic.

Fitzpatrick is, ummmmm, errrrrrrr, uhhhhh, Irish?

Fitzpatpatsack's greatest attribute is that he is a complete non-threat to push for the starting job.

Chargers didn't have Merriman, or much of anyone else who could rush the passer. I should also note that most of Edwards' throws were swing passes and dumpoffs that day, with only four completions traveling more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage in the air.

Of course, there might have also been a second brain-rattling hit at some point after that game, one which wasn't advertised...

How soon we forget the famous groin concussion... :thumbsup:

A Couple of things I noticed....

Palmer looks like a player, so does Nic Harris. I see why they drafted him.

Scott seems very comfy at SS

If Fitz put a little more touch on that last throw to Jenkins it would have been a TD. But even with that said Jenkins should have caught it.

Pressure from the middle of the pocket caused TE to overthrow Evans on that INT. I hope Levetre improves but he does look underweight for the guard spot.

If this game doesn't make the Bills sign Maybin then they are dumb...no pass rush whatsoever. It looks like the pass rush will come from the blitz package they have....again.

Titans are better than the Bills top to bottom and it showed. Jeff Fisher is one of my favorite coaches in the league. Not surprised they lost but than again no game planning for this game.

TO is gonna have a huge year, dude still has it and maybe he can play 2 or 3 more years at a high level.

He didnt throw downfield a lot, I agree, but he looked very sharp annd efficient to me, and he surely didnt look gunshy when there was a rush.

He didnt throw downfield a lot, I agree, but he looked very sharp annd efficient to me, and he surely didnt look gunshy when there was a rush.

plus or minus 6 games for TEs first concussion of 2009?

I think minus...