(OT) Another Computer Question...

R. Rich

I don't know if this is a problem that tech support can fix or one that I'll have to contact maintenance for.

Anyway, this morning, I noticed that the monitor on our home computer won't come on for some reason. The light stays that amber color, as if it is still in 'sleep mode'. Both the monitor and the CPU work; when I disconnect the CPU from the monitor, the light then goes to green and I get a test pattern. But, when I try to hook it back up to the CPU, the light stays that amber color.

I've tried shutting it down, disconnecting all wires and cables then reconnecting them, and I still get the same result. Does anyone here know if it's something serious, or am I just missing a step somewhere that will get it working again?

I'm asking here because I dread making another long, annoying call to Dell's tech support staff. If I have to go that route, of course I will, but if I can fix it without resorting to contacting them, that would be so much better.

Are you sure the computer (what you called the CPU) is working? Is the video card a seperate card on your PC? You can tell if the connector is in one of the slots on the back, or is it in line with the keyboard/mouse connector. If you're confused by this, PM me the service tag number from the back and I'll look up your config tonight. It could just be that the video card has slipped just enough out of the slot that it's not making a good connection. Reseat it and it might work without needing to call Dell. This is something that they would ask you to do anyways.

http://www.google.com/

It's good that you can type all that without being able to see.... :D

Oblig. "helpful" answer: When you say "both monitor and CPU work," does that mean that the system displays fine on another monitor? If so, trying changing your video settings to their "lowest" (or at least a really low, like 800x600x256 colors) level and hooking up the "bad" monitor....If not, it may be your video card. Does your system sound off any odd beep combinations when you turn it on? Do you have any options to try another video card ("borrow" one from work, for example)?

I don't know if this is a problem that tech support can fix or one that I'll have to contact maintenance for. 

Anyway, this morning, I noticed that the monitor on our home computer won't come on for some reason.  The light stays that amber color, as if it is still in 'sleep mode'.  Both the monitor and the CPU work; when I disconnect the CPU from the monitor, the light then goes to green and I get a test pattern.  But, when I try to hook it back up to the CPU, the light stays that amber color.

I've tried shutting it down, disconnecting all wires and cables then reconnecting them, and I still get the same result.  Does anyone here know if it's something serious, or am I just missing a step somewhere that will get it working again? 

I'm asking here because I dread making another long, annoying call to Dell's tech support staff.  If I have to go that route, of course I will, but if I can fix it without resorting to contacting them, that would be so much better.

110229[/snapback]

Do you have another monitor to hook up?

Are you sure the computer (what you called the CPU) is working? Is the video card a seperate card on your PC? You can tell if the connector is in one of the slots on the back, or is it in line with the keyboard/mouse connector. If you're confused by this, PM me the service tag number from the back and I'll look up your config tonight. It could just be that the video card has slipped just enough out of the slot that it's not making a good connection. Reseat it and it might work without needing to call Dell. This is something that they would ask you to do anyways.

110235[/snapback]

I'll look into it, Jack.

the first thing that comes to mind is that your "graphics" (video) card has fried. If you have another computer sitting around, pull the video card from that one and slip it into the one you're having problems with.

If you don't have another computer around, you can stop at a Staples, Best Buy, Compusa, or simalar and pick up a graphics card for about $30... if it works, you solved your problem... if not, hopefully you can return the graphics card and get your money refunded... you can also see if one of the mom/pop computer sales/repair stores in your area has a cheapd used graphics card that they would sell or give to you.

good luck

the first thing that comes to mind is that your "graphics" (video) card has fried.

Generally if a graphics card dies, the motherboard will give a "beep code" stating so... Same thing if the CPU or memory isn't connected properly.

CW

http://www.google.com/

It's good that you can type all that without being able to see.... :D

Oblig. "helpful" answer: When you say "both monitor and CPU work," does that mean that the system displays fine on another monitor?  If so, trying changing your video settings to their "lowest" (or at least a really low, like 800x600x256 colors) level and hooking up the "bad" monitor....If not, it may be your video card.  Does your system sound off any odd beep combinations when you turn it on?  Do you have any options to try another video card ("borrow" one from work, for example)?

110238[/snapback]

Actually, it did beep around 4 times when I tried to turn it on this morning, then the monitor went to that amber color.

Consumer forum question...

http://205.134.161.85/forums/index.php?showforum=7

CW

110250[/snapback]

I figured I'd get more of a response here and since I'll be off work soon, I was hoping to get some feedback before I left. It's probably the same reason a lot of fantasy football questions get asked here instead of the fantasy football forum. It's no big deal.

the first thing that comes to mind is that your "graphics" (video) card has fried.  If you have another computer sitting around, pull the video card from that one and slip it into the one you're having problems with.

If you don't have another computer around, you can stop at a Staples, Best Buy, Compusa, or simalar and pick up a graphics card for about $30...  if it works, you solved your problem... if not, hopefully you can return the graphics card and get your money refunded... you can also see if one of the mom/pop computer sales/repair stores in your area has a cheapd used graphics card that they would sell or give to you.

good luck

110253[/snapback]

That sucks if that is what the problem is. Am I responsible for that, or will Dell either reimburse me for getting one or send a replacement card? More than likely, I'm on my own, huh?

Anyway, this morning, I noticed that the monitor on our home computer won't come on for some reason.  The light stays that amber color, as if it is still in 'sleep mode'.  Both the monitor and the CPU work; when I disconnect the CPU from the monitor, the light then goes to green and I get a test pattern.  But, when I try to hook it back up to the CPU, the light stays that amber color.

I've tried shutting it down, disconnecting all wires and cables then reconnecting them, and I still get the same result.  Does anyone here know if it's something serious, or am I just missing a step somewhere that will get it working again? 

I'm asking here because I dread making another long, annoying call to Dell's tech support staff.  If I have to go that route, of course I will, but if I can fix it without resorting to contacting them, that would be so much better.

110229[/snapback]

Is the video "card" an imbedded one (soldered to the main board - motherboard), or an expansion card that is seated into an expansion slot? If the latter, remove the chassis screw and rock or pull and re-seat the video card (also called an expansion board). The heating and cool-down can cause them to back out a bit.

Ther might be a P n P (Plug and play) glitch. That's an industry standard that alows peripherals like printers and scanners and expansion boards to function without going through hoops. You can investigate that by invoking the CMOS set-up screen (see your manual about how to do that), and fiddling around a bit. BUT if you are not familiar with such things, you can cause a host of problems, so tread lightly here. Also, I believe, through some of XP's hardware diagnostics.

I know zilch about Win XP, but since you were able to post, I assume your PC is functional. Have you investigated XP's equivalent of Win 98's "Control Panel", clicking especilly on the Monitor icon, or better yet, XP's equivalent of "System Tools" which is contained in the "Accessories" (?) folder ?

Is the video "card" an imbedded one (soldered to the main board - motherboard), or an expansion card that is seated into an expansion slot? If the latter, remove the chassis screw and rock or pull and re-seat the video card (also called an expansion board). The heating and cool-down can cause them to back out a bit.

Ther might be a P n P (Plug and play) glitch. That's an industry standard that alows peripherals like printers and scanners and expansion boards to function without going through hoops. You can investigate that by invoking the CMOS set-up screen (see your manual about how to do that), and fiddling around a bit.  BUT if you are not familiar with such things, you can cause a host of problems, so tread lightly here. Also, I believe, through some of XP's hardware diagnostics.

I know zilch about Win XP, but since you were able to post, I assume your PC is functional.  Have you investigated XP's equivalent of Win 98's "Control Panel", clicking especilly on the Monitor icon, or better yet, XP's equivalent of "System Tools" which is contained in the "Accessories" (?) folder ?

110280[/snapback]

I'm not on the home computer, stuck. I'm still @ the office. I was trying to avoid going through a long, frustrating battle with the Dell tech support people. I've gotten a lot of good advice. Thanks to those who offered help.