Fallujah

BillsNYC

Anybody else happy that we have finally gone on the offensive in Fallujah? It killed me that we had to sit on our hands the last few months and watch videos of innocent American civilians having their heads cut off with dull knives.

I hope we get these bastards.

Anybody else happy that we have finally gone on the offensive in Fallujah? It killed me that we had to sit on our hands the last few months and watch videos of innocent American civilians having their heads cut off with dull knives.

I hope we get these bastards.

110053[/snapback]

I saw a - *gasp* - soundbite - earlier today from CNN about Fallujah. They were saying somebody (I missed the part where they identified the source) alluded to the amount of resistance they've met up with was lower than expected, and that enemy casualties were higher than expected. Not sure how to reconcile the two, but it sounds like things are going much more smoothly than they had planned, thank God.

I saw a - *gasp* - soundbite - earlier today from CNN about Fallujah.  They were saying somebody (I missed the part where they identified the source) alluded to the amount of resistance they've met up with was lower than expected, and that enemy casualties were higher than expected.  Not sure how to reconcile the two, but it sounds like things are going much more smoothly than they had planned, thank God.

110076[/snapback]

Its early, You just hope that the good guys' casualties are at a minimum. I'm sure the bad guys have some tricks up their sleeves unfortunately. But then again, I'm guessing our guys are thinking that too and are ready for them.

Its early,  You just hope that the good guys' casualties are at a minimum.      I'm sure the bad guys have some tricks up their sleeves unfortunately.    But then again, I'm guessing our guys are thinking that too and are ready for them.

110083[/snapback]

Good point(s). There's no doubt we'll take Fallujah, but obviously we're all hoping our guys get out with as few casualties as possible. Part of me wonders if they were able to escape before we sealed the city, and that's the reason for the less than expected resistance? I sure hope not. It's either that or they're preparing to meet us in force, and we just haven't come across them yet.

Good point(s).  There's no doubt we'll take Fallujah, but obviously we're all hoping our guys get out with as few casualties as possible.  Part of me wonders if they were able to escape before we sealed the city, and that's the reason for the less than expected resistance?  I sure hope not.  It's either that or they're preparing to meet us in force, and we just haven't come across them yet.

110112[/snapback]

No we are hoping we get out with no casualties.

The assault was pretty much expected long before it began so I am pessimistic that any of these guys hung around waiting to get killed. I am sure they know that they can't win a conventional fight of any kind and can only succeed with hit and run ambushes, suicide bombs and kidnappings. That being the case, why would they hang around to get in a fight they can't win? I hope they were that stupid, I really do.

I am afraid that all we can do is pacify the ground we take there be it by killing those that remain or driving the rest to some other location. There is something to be said for having accomplished that but it won't stop the same crap we have been seeing month after month, day after day. It just moves it around.

Sorry, but after last week I can't help but be a pessimist. :D

The assault was pretty much expected long before it began so I am pessimistic that any of these guys hung around waiting to get killed.  I am sure they know that they can't win a conventional fight of any kind and can only succeed with hit and run ambushes, suicide bombs and kidnappings.  That being the case, why would they hang around to get in a fight they can't win?  I hope they were that stupid, I really do.

I am afraid that all we can do is pacify the ground we take there be it by killing those that remain or driving the rest to some other location.  There is something to be said for having accomplished that but it won't stop the same crap we have been seeing month after month, day after day.  It just moves it around. 

110138[/snapback]

Hopefully it is also a sign that the general population isn't as willing to back the rebels and would like to return to a regular life. Perhaps it could also give credence that many of the rebels were foreign, and Iraqis want them gone as well.

If the bad guys sprung from Fallujah over the last couple of weeks is also a good sign, because they'll be more dispersed. While I think that they will still harrass the Iraqis & US military, I don't think they'll be able to replicate an effective centralized base of operations.

The assault was pretty much expected long before it began so I am pessimistic that any of these guys hung around waiting to get killed.  I am sure they know that they can't win a conventional fight of any kind and can only succeed with hit and run ambushes, suicide bombs and kidnappings.  That being the case, why would they hang around to get in a fight they can't win?  I hope they were that stupid, I really do.

I am afraid that all we can do is pacify the ground we take there be it by killing those that remain or driving the rest to some other location.  There is something to be said for having accomplished that but it won't stop the same ---- we have been seeing month after month, day after day.  It just moves it around. 

110138[/snapback]

Good Point Mickey...when you turn a light on cockroaches scatter....but the don't die

I saw a - *gasp* - soundbite - earlier today from CNN about Fallujah.  They were saying somebody (I missed the part where they identified the source) alluded to the amount of resistance they've met up with was lower than expected, and that enemy casualties were higher than expected.  Not sure how to reconcile the two, but it sounds like things are going much more smoothly than they had planned, thank God.

110076[/snapback]

It may well be that they've left. It wouldn't be the first time.

The question becomes how one holds the city after they've cleared out.

I have a bad feeling that it would be a lot messier if the core group were there. Urban warfare techniques by the entrenched haven't changed much since Stalingrad. The "easier" (try kicking down the door for a perspective on easy) it is, the more suspicious I am.

I have a bad feeling that it would be a lot messier if the core group were there. Urban warfare techniques by the entrenched haven't changed much since Stalingrad. The "easier" (try kicking down the door for a perspective on easy) it is, the more suspicious I am.

110496[/snapback]

Just to give some counterpoint to the speculation...the first couple hours on Iwo Jima were "easy", too...

I think the message in Fallujah is that resistance will be met with extreme force. Good for the leadership. Glad to see them standing up instead of Kerrying out of there.

110214[/snapback]

Yeah I was worried they would skedaddle to help run the campaign of one of their daddy's cronies in Alabama somewhere, otherwise known as "pulling a Bush".

Yeah I was worried they would skedaddle to help run the campaign of one of their daddy's cronies in Alabama somewhere, otherwise known as "pulling a Bush".

110574[/snapback]

My my. Bitter bitter. Let's hope that they kick doors down as sensitively as possible.

Seriously, the ROE is hampering them. The guys not "pulling a Bush" would have enjoyed more flexibility. I hate politics when it comes to war. If it weren't for politics, this would be a done deal (Iraq, period) and we would have moved on. Trying to keep everyone happy, which never happens has led to more deaths than anything else. We're trying, but we haven't forgotten Viet Nam.

Your Icon, Bill Clinton actually put out to the DOD as policy, that no Americans would get killed in Bosnia. Period. everyone was listening to Fleetwood Mac, remember? No, I won't connect a link. There probably isn't one.

My my. Bitter bitter. Let's hope that they kick doors down as sensitively as possible.

Seriously, the ROE is hampering them. The guys not "pulling a Bush" would have enjoyed more flexibility. I hate politics when it comes to war. If it weren't for politics, this would be a done deal (Iraq, period) and we would have moved on. Trying to keep everyone happy, which never happens has led to more deaths than anything else. We're trying, but we haven't forgotten Viet Nam.

Your Icon, Bill Clinton actually put out to the DOD as policy, that no Americans would get killed in Bosnia. Period. everyone was listening to Fleetwood Mac, remember?  No, I won't connect a link. There probably isn't one.

110585[/snapback]

Yeah but, we have to define terrorists first, sorry insurgents or Freedom fighters.

Maybe we should knock on the doors and ask them first..........