(OT)Need some Job Search advice

The Poojer

I interviewed with a position in the CC HQ last week in our merchandising department. The staffing person told me I might hear some feedback by early this week. So I called her today and did not get a warm fuzzy after our discussion...."we have some more people scheduled later this week..." ..."I have gotten very little feedback yet, but they enjoyed meeting you..." I am composing a letter to the 2 people i met with and plan on laying it on pretty thick. I also have 5-6 people in the HQ that I either have worked with in the past, play cards with regularly and or are very good friends with. Should I impose on these people to maybe do a drop by to say "hey I heard you interviewed The Poojer....". Its not gonna kill me to not get this position, but Dognabbit I would love it. What would y'all do? any suggestions as to how heavy I should lay it on in the letter? thanks in advance, and yes I know what to do here, i just want suggestions and advice.

I interviewed with a position in the CC HQ last week in our merchandising department.  The staffing person told me I might hear some feedback by early this week.  So I called her today and did not get a warm fuzzy after our discussion...."we have some more people scheduled later this week..." ..."I have gotten very little feedback yet, but they enjoyed meeting you..."  I am composing a letter to the 2 people i met with and plan on laying it on pretty thick.  I also have 5-6 people in the HQ that I either have worked with in the past, play cards with regularly and or are very good friends with.  Should I impose on these people to maybe do a drop by to say "hey I heard you interviewed The Poojer....".  Its not gonna kill me to not get this position, but Dognabbit I would love it.  What would y'all do?  any suggestions as to how heavy I should lay it on in the letter?  thanks in advance, and yes I know what to do here, i just want suggestions and advice.

109993[/snapback]

I don't know about writing a letter at all, but as far as people you know/play cards with? The saying ALWAYS holds true... its not what you know, its who you know. It might not be "fair" but life isnt. Ask them for a favor.

I interviewed with a position in the CC HQ last week in our merchandising department.  The staffing person told me I might hear some feedback by early this week.  So I called her today and did not get a warm fuzzy after our discussion...."we have some more people scheduled later this week..." ..."I have gotten very little feedback yet, but they enjoyed meeting you..."  I am composing a letter to the 2 people i met with and plan on laying it on pretty thick.  I also have 5-6 people in the HQ that I either have worked with in the past, play cards with regularly and or are very good friends with.  Should I impose on these people to maybe do a drop by to say "hey I heard you interviewed The Poojer....".  Its not gonna kill me to not get this position, but Dognabbit I would love it.  What would y'all do?  any suggestions as to how heavy I should lay it on in the letter?  thanks in advance, and yes I know what to do here, i just want suggestions and advice.

109993[/snapback]

Use your connections to see what they can do for you. Not sure if a letter is right approach I like the more informal through the connections approach.

109993[/snapback]

Without a doubt...talk to your buddies and have them put in a good word. Getting a new job is about 99.99% networking, so any advantage you have, you should use.

I've been in the job hunt situation for the past few months myself. It's tough to land what you want, so any "in" you can find should be used.

Good luck!

109993[/snapback]

It can't hurt to talk with the people.

It also cannot hurt to write the letter. Just don't try to BS them in the letter. If they detect any hints of BS, it will work against you. Be honest and sincere with them in the letter. Let them know that you appreciated their time, re-emphasize your qualifications for the job and thank them again for the opportunity to speak with them regarding the job. Keep it short.

the letter is mostly a "thanks for meeting with me letter...and oh by the way I really am a strong candidate", it is just a follow-up letter, with some frosting

Use your connections to see what they can do for you.  Not sure if a letter is right approach I like the more informal through the connections approach.

110000[/snapback]

109993[/snapback]

Have you tried Google? :lol:

How is this for letter content. notice how i "Xed" out the important information? Wouldn't want job searching Bastards like ICE screwing me....... :lol:

Thank you very much for taking the time last week to discuss the XXX XXXXXXXXXX position in the XXXXXXXXXXXXX Department.  After our meeting I am more convinced than ever that I would be the perfect person to fill this position.

You emphasized the importance of the relationship between the position and the XXXXXXX XXXX vendors.  I have always prided myself on the way I built and maintained relationships between myself, my employers, my customers and my vendors. My years in the Direct Marketing industry were critical in this relationship building because there is always the need to have vendors in your corner that you could depend on in extreme situations and exceptional customer service was critical in strengthening and building a solid customer base.  I feel that working at the store level at XXXXXX XXXX has greatly strengthened these qualities and has prepared me to succeed in the XXX XXXXXXXXXX position.

Once again I want to thank you for your valuable time and I hope that you are giving me serious consideration to fill the XXX XXXXXXXXXX position.  If you have any further questions about my qualifications, please do not hesitate to contact me at home or at the store.  Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you in the very near future.

How is this for letter content.  notice how i "Xed" out the important information?  Wouldn't want job searching Bastards like ICE screwing me....... :lol:

110041[/snapback]

Excellent! You'd be surprised how many people don't write thank you letters. I was told by my current employer that my thank you letter was one of the big reasons I got the job. At the very least, I've never heard of someone not being hired because they wrote a letter.

CW

was the letter content ok? i don't want to sound blubbery, but i i want to point out what i feel is the most important part, vendor relation and customer service. also i am going to e-mail rather than snail mail, after all the position is heavy in electronic data exchange, so i think e-mail will be approriate. would you attach it in a word document or have it as the e-mail body?

Excellent!  You'd be surprised how many people don't write thank you letters.  I was told by my current employer that my thank you letter was one of the big reasons I got the job.  At the very least, I've never heard of someone not being hired because they wrote a letter.

CW

110049[/snapback]

was the letter content ok?  i don't want to sound blubbery, but i i want to point out what i feel is the most important part, vendor relation and customer service.  also i am going to e-mail rather than snail mail, after all the position is heavy in electronic data exchange, so i think e-mail will be approriate.  would you attach it in a word document or have it as the e-mail body?

110062[/snapback]

Yup, I thought the letter was very well done.

I would just include it in the body of your email; attachments may be filtered there, they may delete it without reading it if they don't remember who you are offhand (or if they think it was worm-generated), etc. Text should never be sent as an attachment IMHO.

CW

the letter is mostly a "thanks for meeting with me letter...and oh by the way I really am a strong candidate", it is just a follow-up letter, with some frosting

110013[/snapback]

The letter needs to be "Thanks for the meeting...and oh, by the way, I WANT this job and this is why you should give it to me."

You can never ask for the job too many times.

thanks everyone you helped reinforce what i was thinking.  it is greatly appreciated......Sue, I don't know what your upset about, everyone here is extremely helpful :lol:  :(  :lol: (you know i am just messing around wit cha)

110082[/snapback]

Your a flipping jerky idiot jerk. If I came hear asking people for job advise everyone would jump on me and call me names BECAUSE THERE ALL A BUNCH OF LOOSERS! All your trieing to do is get a job and all the loosers come out and give advice. Good bi forever loosers.

Ooopsss...hit the reply button too fast.

Pooj your letter is awesome. Very easy to read, very simple and to the point. Great job. I'd be impressed...but then again I've never hired anyone. Good Luck....and don't be hesitant to talk to the people you know. That's how I got interviewed at my job...and I've been here happily for 4 years now.

Your a flipping jerky idiot jerk. If I came hear asking people for job advise everyone would jump on me and call me names BECAUSE THERE ALL A BUNCH OF LOOSERS! All your trieing to do is get a job and all the loosers come out and give advice. Good bi forever loosers.

110099[/snapback]

CootieHog???

:D:lol::lol: