USA Today Coaches Preseason Top 25

So Notre Dame gets the bowl bid to Hawaii last year, even though they weren't that good (and yes I know they won the game, but Hawaii wasn't that great either)...and now they start the season in the Top 25?? What exactly happened between the end of last year and the start of this year to make them that much better?

Yikes, not much here by way of Notre Dame love. But I really think the boys in blue and gold are in for a banner year. Granted, we put a stomping on a weak Hawaii team, but boy what a stomping it was. Combine that fact with an O-line returning all senior year players, a stellar receiving corps (Michael Floyd and Golden Tate will be playing on Sundays in a few years, bank on it), and a solid defense, and I really do believe ND is making some noise this year.

If we suck, then it'll sort itself out. But I'm firmly entrenched in the camp of Notre Dame AT LEAST making a BCS bowl this year.

Yikes, not much here by way of Notre Dame love. But I really think the boys in blue and gold are in for a banner year. Granted, we put a stomping on a weak Hawaii team, but boy what a stomping it was. Combine that fact with an O-line returning all senior year players, a stellar receiving corps (Michael Floyd and Golden Tate will be playing on Sundays in a few years, bank on it), and a solid defense, and I really do believe ND is making some noise this year.

Irish fan here.

Question: No love for my boy Jimmy Clausen???

Let's talk underrated. He will become a stud this year. Just look at what he became on a mediocre team last year...and after what he and Golden Tate did in the bowl game, watch out Harrell and Crabtree.

During his sophomore season, he completed 60.9% of his passes for 3172 yards, 25 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and a 132.5 efficiency rating. He led the Fighting Irish to a 7-6 record, culminating in a 49-21 victory against Hawaii in the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl - which ended Notre Dame's NCAA-record nine-game bowl losing streak. Clausen set Notre Dame bowl records with 406 yards passing and five touchdowns and was named the bowl's co-MVP.

He was just named to the O'Brien award watch list for 2009.

NOTRE DAME (Pete Byrne - WBST2) - "Jimmy CLausen was named to the pre-season watch list for the Davy O'Brien award, given annually to the nation's top quarterback.

As a sophomore in 2008, Clausen started all 13 games at quarterback and recorded the third-most prolific passing season in Irish history. He completed 268 of his 440 pass attempts for 3,172 passing yards.

Clausen tossed 25 touchdowns and established records in every major passing category by a Notre Dame sophomore quarterback. The only better statistical seasons by an Irish signal caller were Brady Quinn in 2005 and 2006.

Clausen ranked 43rd in passing efficiency nationally at 132.49 and ranked 40th in total offense at 238.38 yards per game. Only seven returning quarterbacks threw for more yards and more touchdowns than Clausen did in 2008."

http://www.wsbt.com/sports/52393247.html

*IF he continues to progress and the Irish play well, I will add him to the Heisman Award watch list as well.

Irish fan here.

Question: No love for my boy Jimmy Clausen???

Let's talk underrated. He will become a stud this year. Just look at what he became on a mediocre team last year...and after what he and Golden Tate did in the bowl game, watch out Harrell and Crabtree.

During his sophomore season, he completed 60.9% of his passes for 3172 yards, 25 touchdowns and 17 interceptions and a 132.5 efficiency rating. He led the Fighting Irish to a 7-6 record, culminating in a 49-21 victory against Hawaii in the Sheraton Hawai'i Bowl - which ended Notre Dame's NCAA-record nine-game bowl losing streak. Clausen set Notre Dame bowl records with 406 yards passing and five touchdowns and was named the bowl's co-MVP.

He was just named to the O'Brien award watch list for 2009.

NOTRE DAME (Pete Byrne - WBST2) - "Jimmy CLausen was named to the pre-season watch list for the Davy O'Brien award, given annually to the nation's top quarterback.

As a sophomore in 2008, Clausen started all 13 games at quarterback and recorded the third-most prolific passing season in Irish history. He completed 268 of his 440 pass attempts for 3,172 passing yards.

Clausen tossed 25 touchdowns and established records in every major passing category by a Notre Dame sophomore quarterback. The only better statistical seasons by an Irish signal caller were Brady Quinn in 2005 and 2006.

Clausen ranked 43rd in passing efficiency nationally at 132.49 and ranked 40th in total offense at 238.38 yards per game. Only seven returning quarterbacks threw for more yards and more touchdowns than Clausen did in 2008."

http://www.wsbt.com/sports/52393247.html

*IF he continues to progress and the Irish play well, I will add him to the Heisman Award watch list as well.

Good to see another Irish fan! Sometimes I feel like we're outnumbered by the haters :lol:

And good point on Clausen. He's definitely going to have a helluva year. The guy's a stud and will be on many Heisman watches by the middle of the season. I guess I forgot to include him originally just because I plain don't like the guy. I'm a Domer, and the guy's a legit jerk around campus. He's no Brady Quinn :lol: but if he delivers a national championship I suppose all is forgiven :lol:

Good to see another Irish fan! Sometimes I feel like we're outnumbered by the haters :lol:

And good point on Clausen. He's definitely going to have a helluva year. The guy's a stud and will be on many Heisman watches by the middle of the season. I guess I forgot to include him originally just because I plain don't like the guy. I'm a Domer, and the guy's a legit jerk around campus. He's no Brady Quinn :lol:but if he delivers a national championship I suppose all is forgiven :lol:

i wouldn't count your sheep before you fall asleep. :lol:

He's no Brady Quinn --------> 100% agreed. but i think he has "it."

I really just like them because I am Irish. I was a big Miami Hurricanes fan because of Jim Kelly, Ray Lewis and Willis McGahee (among a few others)...but that program became a joke and I just couldn't bare to be associated with it anymore towards the end of the Coker era. I will always be indebted to the Penn State Nittany Lions because that was my late father's team and of course, some great former (Bills) players. But don't get it twisted, I love Notre Dame.

I find it hard to pick 1 favorite team because I never went to a big college like any of those schools. I would say my top teams would be...

1A/1B: Notre Dame/Penn State - reason stated above.

2A/2B: Syracuse/UB - local school/McNabb.

3. Arizona State - cousins' college.

4. Nebraska - uncle's favorite team.

5. Michigan State - local kid/family friend, Scott Greene used to play there.

(Nothing tops 'Cuse hoops though. for me anyways.)

What's more overrated?

Notre Dame's football program or Dale Earnhardt Jr's driving

I'm sure there are plenty of overrated examples out there...

Dick Jauron's coaching ability

J.P. Losman's potential as an NFL QB

I dont think anyone rates this highly at all.

Thats all you need to know right there. In college football when you are Notre Dame, thats a terrible record. They beat some mickey mouse teams, and even managed to lose to Syracuse. What part about them other than their name makes them a top 25 team?

Thats all you need to know right there. In college football when you are Notre Dame, thats a terrible record. They beat some mickey mouse teams, and even managed to lose to Syracuse. What part about them other than their name makes them a top 25 team?

College football preseason rankings are all about projection. It's not just how good you were the year before, it's how good your talent is projected to be. And judging by the stellar finish at the end of last year, especially with a healthy and well-rested team, shows a glimpse of what the Irish can do this year. Don't you think that another year of experience, plus the potential they've shown so far, at least warrant some kind of respect? For all of your talk of mickey mouse teams, keep in mind that they lost to two teams that are in the current preseason top 25 (USC at #4 and North Carolina at #20) and to another two in the top 30 (Michigan State and Pitt). The Pitt game went to 4 OTs, the North Carolina game decided by the final drive of the game, and Michigan State was close up until the 4th quarter. Those games could've gone either way, to be honest. Sure, the Syracuse game was a bummer, but upsets happen-that's what make college football exciting.

USC did lay another smackdown on us, but honestly, with a team returning so many starters with so much potential, and I think that while Notre Dame gets extra attention for being well, Notre Dame, it's not outrageous to have them in the top 25. And as I've said before...if we suck that bad, then it'll all sort itself out :lol: