Crabtree will sit out '09 and will re-enter the '10 NFL Draft

What happens if Crabtree does reenter the NFL draft do the 49ers get a pick for next year as compensation? Or is it tough sh--? To me the NFL rookie system is bs. They should go to a slotting system the fact that you can draft a guy and have him hold out for a big portion of camp is ridiculous. I hope in the next CBA they have a predetirimned salary system for the draft.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Repeated from the other thread on the same subject: The agents and players in the top of the first round that are not signed and not named Crabtree are waiting this out because they think Crabtree is going to get the money, they are going to make more money because of it, and they are literally banking on it. They aren't really any better than Parker or Crabtree. There is not a rule about slotting, it's a choice.

Disagree with the bolded Kelly. IMO they are waiting "just to make sure" what Crabtree's deal is. The latest is that Parker/Crabtree are asking for more than what Darrius Heyward-Bey got from the Raiders at #7. And that contract was considered to be too high. I see no way he gets it. Parker and Crabtree are going a long way for a little more money and in the process, are hurting both player and team (and FWIW, other players/teams). The other agents have an obligation to their clients to wait a bit longer to be sure but if Crabtree doesn't sign within 3-5 days I think we'll see the other teams/players get their deals done.

What happens if Crabtree does reenter the NFL draft do the 49ers get a pick for next year as compensation? Or is it tough sh--? To me the NFL rookie system is bs. They should go to a slotting system the fact that you can draft a guy and have him hold out for a big portion of camp is ridiculous. I hope in the next CBA they have a predetirimned salary system for the draft.

Don't know if there's compensation involved or not. But regardless, Crabtree turned off the Cleveland brass by arriving for his pre-draft visit with an entourage (I wonder if that included the "loud-mouthed cousin"). The word was that he was acting like a diva. Then he sits out a full season to re-enter the draft. He's now been out of football for a year and is branded as a prima dona. I don't see where it benefits him to sit out a year. I think the chances are miniscule that he gets drafted higher next year. On top of that there's a lot of uncertainty about how an uncapped year may affect rookie salaries. His entire life would be put on hold for an entire year. For what? IMO, Parker and Crabtree have reached the point where Crabtree has more to lose than to gain by trying this little power play. The Niners, lose, Crabtree loses, everyone loses.

There's no compensation, but Crabtree is stuck as well. I suppose he could go play for the CFL or UFL, but he can't do any activities or work out with/for anyone until 1 week prior to the draft, when the 49ers rights to him expire. So its not like he has finally run a 40 and work out for teams like next year's draftees can.

No. The last time this happened (I think) was when Bo Jackson was drafted 1st overall by TB in 1986.

They may not have a choice now but to give him what he wants. Brandon Jones out 2 months.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp...tory?id=4384230

I doubt he'll be able to make much of a difference in the first two months anyway, especially after missing all OTAs and at least the first week of camp. WRs typically aren't very productive in their first year, even high picks, although of course there are exceptions.

There's no compensation, but Crabtree is stuck as well. I suppose he could go play for the CFL or UFL, but he can't do any activities or work out with/for anyone until 1 week prior to the draft, when the 49ers rights to him expire. So its not like he has finally run a 40 and work out for teams like next year's draftees can.

If Crabtree sits out and reenters next years draft he will likely be a 3rd round draft choice. Or later, With his history no one is going to blow a #1 on him.