Crabtree will sit out '09 and will re-enter the '10 NFL Draft

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My response from the other thread:

They would be beyond stupid to do that. There's no way they would. I don't understand how that is a threat, because they'd lose a ton of money. A WR that played in the spread offense, didn't run a 40 yard dash, hasn't played football in over a year, and held out for ridiculous amounts of money, would not be drafted anywhere near the top 10 next year. And if he isn't, he's losing a ton of money by sliding down the draft order, and also a year's salary.

I don't understand how that's a threat. If anything, the 49ers should be using that as a threat, not Parker.

What a dumb idea. Guy wasn't the first receiver picked. I don't see the niners caving on this, and once they call his bluff he's got no choice but to show up dragging his tail between his legs. If he does show up and gripes and moans, I imagine he'll have a tough time withe the team. In the unlikely event he sits out, I agree that he won't even be a first round pick.

What a dumb idea. Guy wasn't the first receiver picked. I don't see the niners caving on this, and once they call his bluff he's got no choice but to show up dragging his tail between his legs. If he does show up and gripes and moans, I imagine he'll have a tough time withe the team. In the unlikely event he sits out, I agree that he won't even be a first round pick.

He'll eventually have to sign, and Singletary isn't going to put up with his garbage if he brings any to the field with him.

My response from the other thread:

They would be beyond stupid to do that. There's no way they would. I don't understand how that is a threat, because they'd lose a ton of money. A WR that played in the spread offense, didn't run a 40 yard dash, hasn't played football in over a year, and held out for ridiculous amounts of money, would not be drafted anywhere near the top 10 next year. And if he isn't, he's losing a ton of money by sliding down the draft order, and also a year's salary.

I don't understand how that's a threat. If anything, the 49ers should be using that as a threat, not Parker.

It's Parker - if he doesn't get the money he promised, he's losing out on big fish next year and in future years...

It's Parker - if he doesn't get the money he promised, he's losing out on big fish next year and in future years...

I don't know about that. Rosenhaus got his fame from having big time holdouts, and his name being out in the media all the time. Parker has begun to do the same with Peters, and now Crabtree. This attention puts his name out there, positive or negative.

Well, isn't next year an uncapped year? Assuming he got drafted in the top 10, he should make way more money than this year....the problem is he sits out an entire year. I think its stupid....HED GET TOP 10 MONEY NOW!~~!!!

How much is enough, Michael?

Just a little more bluffing is all.......no way does he sit out this year.

Smith, Maybin, Crabtree. The teams that drafted them aren't being bandied about as prime playoff clubs. The state of the economy is obvious. Maybe these club-owing nabobs will finally say, "bite me!" and go with what they got. :w00t:

It's about time..."Sorry, we've made other plans. We have proven veterans to take care of. Please stop calling us." :wallbash:

I don't know about that. Rosenhaus got his fame from having big time holdouts, and his name being out in the media all the time. Parker has begun to do the same with Peters, and now Crabtree. This attention puts his name out there, positive or negative.

One thing about Drew R though, he even admits in his book he learned that holdouts don't really work. Getting the deal is more important. As a result, he's had big fish, but not the size of say CAA.

What if there were some kind of deadline for both sides that was much earlier than the next year's draft? Say August 1st - no contract, the player doesn't get paid and the team loses the pick. That seems like enough Mutually Assured Destruction to make sure deals get done.

Of course, if Russ Brandon borrows Darcy Regier's fax machine, we'll all be screwed.

One thing about Drew R though, he even admits in his book he learned that holdouts don't really work. Getting the deal is more important. As a result, he's had big fish, but not the size of say CAA.

Not working as in not getting that much more money, but it's not about that, it's about the publicity. It doesn't matter if you take less on the deal holding out. For every big time holdout, you garner media attention and publicity, it's free advertising. That gets you more customers, and the deal that "didn't really work" just gave you more deals through clients you've just acquired.

Big disputes? Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Sean Taylor, Javon Walker, Dan Morgan and now Mario Henderson, to name a few.

You said he had 2 clients hold out. I know he's had contract disputes, but to my knowledge, he's never advised any client to hold out.

You said he had 2 clients hold out. I know he's had contract disputes, but to my knowledge, he's never advised any client to hold out.

Do yourself a favor and either read his book or do a google search. Advising his clients to hold out is a part of his strategy.

Do yourself a favor and either read his book or do a google search. Advising his clients to hold out is a part of his strategy.

Who were clients of his that held out? And here's a post just a few posts before yours: