So, where is Brees going?

DeeRay

Brees is a FA after this season... based on his performance as of late, he's going to command big money. Thw Chargers ain't gonna franchise him... that would automatically count $10M toward their salary cap... which either they don't have or, if they do, will handcuff them in adding depth.

So, with the changing of the guard in "Fin"land... will it be Fiedler out and Brees in, with Feeley in reserve? Or with Gannon probably finished due to injury and Collins not answering the bell, will it be Oakland?

Would the Bears or Tampa take a shot? I don't think so with Grossman/Krenzel and Griese/Simms already there.

Arizona?

Brees is a FA after this season... based on his performance as of late, he's going to command big money.  Thw Chargers ain't gonna franchise him... that would automatically count $10M toward their salary cap... which either they don't have or, if they do, will handcuff them in adding depth.

So, with the changing of the guard in "Fin"land... will it be Fiedler out and Brees in, with Feeley in reserve?  Or with Gannon probably finished due to injury and Collins not answering the bell, will it be Oakland?

Would the Bears or Tampa take a shot?  I don't think so with Grossman/Krenzel  and Griese/Simms already there.

Arizona?

109458[/snapback]

I think you pretty much hit on the top contenders for Brees next season. I was thinking the Ravens too, but from what the TV Crew was saying, the Ravens actually like Boller a lot. I think the fins will be the team that really tries hard to get him. But if Brees wants to stay on the west coast it will be Oakland.

I think that's a really great question, and Brees is probably licking his chops. Especially with Oakland in the running, his value is going through the roof.

It would seem that Miami, Oakland, Tampa, and Arizona are probably the most likely teams, although to be honest I agree with you that Oakland and Miami are the most desperate. I don't think the Bears are in the running, since they have Grossman, and I think most folks there are pretty high on his potential.

My personal opinion is that Oakland with throw the biggest boatload of cash at him and sign him to a long deal.

Would the Chargers consider trading Rivers instead ? Brees is smoking hot. This isn't a Kitna/Carson Palmer situation. Brees is playing FAR better now than Kitna did in 2003.

Might get more in return for Rivers, plus dump a bigger contract. I'm not endorsing the idea but just bringing it up for a reasonable discussion.

Green Bay, I think Favre will retire

I was thinking the same, but then Favre has said himself he wants to play for another 3 or 4 years and he still is playing at a high level. Then, didn't the Pack just go out and trade for J.T. Sullivan to groom as his eventual successor?

Also, it's not been the Packers style to throw big money at any free agent... at least there's not a single one that comes to mind.

I was thinking the same, but then Favre has said himself he wants to play for another 3 or 4 years and he still is playing at a high level.  Then, didn't the Pack just go out and trade for J.T. Sullivan to groom as his eventual successor?

Also, it's not been the Packers style to throw big money at any free agent... at least there's not a single one that comes to mind.

109513[/snapback]

Not since Reggie White. May be that the hated Faiders are in the cards for Brees?

I was thinking the same, but then Favre has said himself he wants to play for another 3 or 4 years and he still is playing at a high level.  Then, didn't the Pack just go out and trade for J.T. Sullivan to groom as his eventual successor?

109513[/snapback]

You mean, like Reggie White?

Would the Chargers consider trading Rivers instead ?  Brees is smoking hot. This isn't a Kitna/Carson Palmer situation. Brees is playing FAR better now than Kitna did in 2003.

Might get more in return for Rivers, plus dump a bigger contract. I'm not endorsing the idea but just bringing it up for a reasonable discussion.

109488[/snapback]

That's actually a legitimate question. Everyone assumes Brees is going but with the offense moving like it is now, they may not want to get rid of Brees who is still quite young (25 or 26?). If that's the case, I could see Rivers going to Green Bay, with Favre still wanting to play another couple of years.

That's actually a legitimate question.  Everyone assumes Brees is going but with the offense moving like it is now, they may not want to get rid of Brees who is still quite young (25 or 26?).  If that's the case, I could see Rivers going to Green Bay, with Favre still wanting to play another couple of years.

109526[/snapback]

Rivers funky side arm motion may not work in the 2nd half of the season at windy Lambeau Field. Brees wouldn't work there either.

Favre has a gun. Bledsoe came to Buffalo due to his arm strength and ability to knife the ball through the stiff winds of the Ralph. Our QB of the future also has a cannon. A must for our stadium.

Not taking anything away from Brees or Rivers but they don't fit the weather conditions at Lambeau field.

Trading Rivers is really not an option. The Chargers have $40M invested in him already and if they were to trade him, his big ass bonus that was spread out over 7 or 8 years counts toward the salary cap immediately... which then takes them out of the Drew Brees sweepstakes.... and at the same time GB takes on the salary of two #1 QBs??? I don't think so.

assuming his value doesn't fall, Which I think it will, he'll probably end up in Arizona. Denny Green would love to take the kid in under his wing. And Arizona has already said they are attempting to field a competitive team.

Brees/Fitzgerald/Boldin/Shipp/Freddie Jones.....not a bad O for 2005.

In addition to the Favre situation, don't forget that Brees played college ball in the midwest at Purdue. Could influence things a little. Other than that I think he doesnt fit Norv Turner's offense, so Oaktown is out. Arizona is a very good candidate. Im guessing the Dolphins will be trying to lure edge away from the colts, so a big spend on a QB isn't their likely direction. The teams I'd look for to sign brees besides those may be : 49ers(if Tim Ratty continues to get hurt/play crappy). Seattle(If Hasselbeck leaves), Cowboys(if vinny retires and they don't think Henson will cut it).

Also, might I add that I believe Arizona will be a contender in the Travis Henry sweepstakes.....Emmitt is tearing it up for them righ tnow, wasn't emmitt like TH's idol??? TH, in a way, is a poor man's emmitt.

Would the Chargers consider trading Rivers instead ?  Brees is smoking hot. This isn't a Kitna/Carson Palmer situation. Brees is playing FAR better now than Kitna did in 2003.

109488[/snapback]

This is tough for the Chargers. Trade Brees and maybe Rivers becomes the next Ryan Leaf. I believe stats say something like half 1st round QB's ever have success. Rivers could be on the wrong side of that half. So could Losman. How practical would it be to trade Losman and sign Brees? I'm sure the same contract issues. But you never know. Right now Losman is a huge unknown

Gotta be Green Bay... who do they have to replace him??

GB could even draft a QB in the event that Farve retires and look for Bress to be the short term option.

109704[/snapback]

We saw how well that plan has worked for the last team that tried it.....