Demetrius Bell makes impact on writer.....

Maybe by game 4 or 5 NEXT year, but probably a career backup people. I know it would be nice to have lightning in a bottle strike twice with Peters and now Bell, but DB isn't quite the athlete Peters is and has nowhere near Peters explosive power. It's not something that hard work in the weight room can solve like many here want to believe either. A first day OT will be selected in the next draft along with OLB and possibly a young DT prospect as well. Stroud ain't no spring chicken........

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/7/30/...ses-clark-judge

Could this Kid be the LT by the 4 or 5 game point? I think so and moving Walker to the right side would make our line much much stronger

This is my biggest hope for the Bills- If Bell could be adequate at LT and Walker move back to RT where we know he can play.

Is this moving Brad Butler to starting RT just a courtesy to a hard working vet I hope so because from what I heard Kelsay is killing him and that doesn't bode well.

Maybe by game 4 or 5 NEXT year, but probably a career backup people. I know it would be nice to have lightning in a bottle strike twice with Peters and now Bell, but DB isn't quite the athlete Peters is and has nowhere near Peters explosive power. It's not something that hard work in the weight room can solve like many here want to believe either.

Not quite the athlete? Who knows. None of us have seen much from Bell apart from last preseason. But I remember what I did see last preseason because I kept asking myself who the hell that guy was at LT that kept burying his man and getting to the 2nd level and burying someone else. Bell dominated the cannon fodder, dominated the 3's, held his own against the 2's. At least until the last game, where he got abused on a few plays and looked like he lost confidence. From what I saw, the footwork, speed and balance were top-tier LT level. Strength and technique were camp fodder level. Those are two things that can be fixed a lot quicker than hoping LW develops some fast-twitch lipids. A Peters-like development timeframe might be optimistic, but not necessarily unrealistic. Kid has a tool set. Put it to use.

Oh, man, I was hoping that you actually uncovered a writer who had seen him and been excited.

The Judge story is old and off-balance.

Judge filed two stories from camp, the one referenced here and one that actually talked about his opinions about what he saw at camp. In the second story, about what he actually saw on the field, Bell is not mentioned once.

Bell didn't make an impact on the writer. Somebody talked to him about Bell and he wrote what they said.

Maybe by game 4 or 5 NEXT year, but probably a career backup people. I know it would be nice to have lightning in a bottle strike twice with Peters and now Bell, but DB isn't quite the athlete Peters is and has nowhere near Peters explosive power. It's not something that hard work in the weight room can solve like many here want to believe either. A first day OT will be selected in the next draft along with OLB and possibly a young DT prospect as well. Stroud ain't no spring chicken........

It is also possible that Bell, Bowen and McCargo come out of the shell and show that they can be very good NFL Players.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/7/30/...ses-clark-judge

Could this Kid be the LT by the 4 or 5 game point? I think so and moving Walker to the right side would make our line much much stronger

I think if Bell is a little better or just as good as LW they'll still leave LW in at LT. Starting two rookies next to each other on the line might be a very bad idea. LW can help Levitre do better. Nobody really knows Bell's talent better than the coaches. It'll be interesting to see Bell in the HOF game.

BTW, my guess is the starting O line will play at least all of the first half of every PS game. They may play TE for only a series or two before letting Fitzy take over.

Not quite the athlete? Who knows. None of us have seen much from Bell apart from last preseason. But I remember what I did see last preseason because I kept asking myself who the hell that guy was at LT that kept burying his man and getting to the 2nd level and burying someone else. Bell dominated the cannon fodder, dominated the 3's, held his own against the 2's. At least until the last game, where he got abused on a few plays and looked like he lost confidence. From what I saw, the footwork, speed and balance were top-tier LT level. Strength and technique were camp fodder level. Those are two things that can be fixed a lot quicker than hoping LW develops some fast-twitch lipids. A Peters-like development timeframe might be optimistic, but not necessarily unrealistic. Kid has a tool set. Put it to use.

I think that this being his second year a lot of those things will be a lot better.

Oh, man, I was hoping that you actually uncovered a writer who had seen him and been excited.

The Judge story is old and off-balance.

Judge filed two stories from camp, the one referenced here and one that actually talked about his opinions about what he saw at camp. In the second story, about what he actually saw on the field, Bell is not mentioned once.

Bell didn't make an impact on the writer. Somebody talked to him about Bell and he wrote what they said.

Where is this article on what he saw and where he didn't talk about Bell? I only saw the "5 things" article.

Guest dog14787
Where is this article on what he saw and where he didn't talk about Bell? I only saw the "5 things" article.

There is a dog and he's mans best friend :thumbdown:

What's lost in a lot of the Peters/Bell comparisons is the fact that Bell has been coached at and playing the tackle position through college and one year in the pros. Peters was a TE/special teams ace until they realized he had the skill set to be a good tackle. I don't believe Peters was a tackle in his first season as a Bill. It's not out of the question that if Bell displays the same apptitude, he could find himself in a starter's role before long. In theory, Bell's learning curve should be shorter than Peters, who only took a couple of years at the position to be a highly regarded tackle.

I hope Bell plays well and turns into a stud LT. I also hope that Maybin turns into a good player because this hurts a little:

As expected, rookie Michael Oher was immediately installed as the starting right tackle at Ravens training camp.

Usually rookies have to "earn" these jobs, especially when there are experienced alternatives on the team like Adam Terry. But Oher proved he's ready by pancaking Terrell Suggs on day one. Knocked by draftniks for being too reserved, Oher has shown an "aggressive and physical temperament."(rotoworld). I kinda wanted to draft him at our slot

What's lost in a lot of the Peters/Bell comparisons is the fact that Bell has been coached at and playing the tackle position through college and one year in the pros. Peters was a TE/special teams ace until they realized he had the skill set to be a good tackle. I don't believe Peters was a tackle in his first season as a Bill. It's not out of the question that if Bell displays the same apptitude, he could find himself in a starter's role before long. In theory, Bell's learning curve should be shorter than Peters, who only took a couple of years at the position to be a highly regarded tackle.

For what it's worth, Bell played 3 years at Northwestern State, and that's all the organized football he's ever played. Peters may not have been a tackle, but he was a tight end, so he was used to the blocking techniques required being on the end of the OL, if nothing else. Considering that, Peters was probably ahead of the curve on where Bell is.

Peters ended up making the permanent switch to tackle during his rookie season, and taking over for the fat dancing blob of a bust at RT midway through his 2nd season. Modrak is on record saying he expects Bell on the field at some point this season. It'd be nice to be able to break him in at RT, but his skill set projects so ideally to LT that I figure if he's going to crack the top 5, that's where it'd be.