As We "Anxiously" Await Maybins' Signing.....

VJ91

Why doesn't the NFL put a firm deadline on all rookie contract signings? The draft is in April, so they could set the deadline date for July 15th of that year. Why not? There are already deadline dates set and kept by both the teams and the players agreed to by the all-powerful players union. Everyone abides by the date of March 1st for being able to sign UFA's. Everyone abides by the last day of being able to make a trade-sometime in October. When a players contract is up, both the player and team abide by that date, knowing when it is and planning for it by either extending it or allowing the player to test the FA waters.

In addition, "holding out" by players under contract should be banned by the NFL as well. Just make it a rule. Tell the union to accept it or walk. I cannot imagine too much sympathy for the players if they get pissed off in today's economy. Look at it like this; beginning January 2010, if a player and his agent agree to a contract from a team, they must honor it for as long as the contract is valid. Period. Every contract offers "guaranteed money" in the NFL today. That is enough motivation for the players to play for as long as that contract says they have to. Make the rule state that any player who decides to try and "hold out" moving forward, will not be allowed to play again that season, and he will be liable to pay back the team his entire pay, and the salary of the player that ends up replacing him for the rest of that season. That should end the selfish practice of holding out for good.

Why doesn't the NFL put a firm deadline on all rookie contract signings? The draft is in April, so they could set the deadline date for July 15th of that year. Why not? There are already deadline dates set and kept by both the teams and the players agreed to by the all-powerful players union. Everyone abides by the date of March 1st for being able to sign UFA's. Everyone abides by the last day of being able to make a trade-sometime in October. When a players contract is up, both the player and team abide by that date, knowing when it is and planning for it by either extending it or allowing the player to test the FA waters.

In addition, "holding out" by players under contract should be banned by the NFL as well. Just make it a rule. Tell the union to accept it or walk. I cannot imagine too much sympathy for the players if they get pissed off in today's economy. Look at it like this; beginning January 2010, if a player and his agent agree to a contract from a team, they must honor it for as long as the contract is valid. Period. Every contract offers "guaranteed money" in the NFL today. That is enough motivation for the players to play for as long as that contract says they have to. Make the rule state that any player who decides to try and "hold out" moving forward, will not be allowed to play again that season, and he will be liable to pay back the team his entire pay, and the salary of the player that ends up replacing him for the rest of that season. That should end the selfish practice of holding out for good.

Excellent ideas.

They should be mixed in with a rookie salary cap.

If there is a deadline on signing rookies, then what's the consequence if they don't sign? My vote would be to then send it to binding baseball-style arbitration-- which is where each side picks their number and the arbitrator has to pick one.

The whole system now is idiotic; everyone waiting for everyone else to sign so that they can slot their salary?

What a terrible post!

It's amazing that the average NFL fails to realize how badly NFL players get pissed on in their careers. The NFL is a meat market and when you compare the average salary of an NFL player in comparison to league revenues the NFL pales in comparion to other major league sports.

Not to mention the joke that is non-guaranteed contracts, only in sport with a spinless, in-bead union could that be gotten away with.

Don't get me wrong the NFL CBA is great for owners and exceptionally great for fans. But don't piss and moan when agents try and get top dollar for rookies or leverage a good year with a hold out.

You have to make money while you can in the NFL because tommorow you will be a discarded chunk of meat.

Excellent ideas.

They should be mixed in with a rookie salary cap.

If there is a salary cap, then maybe the NFL would need to impose a deadline. There would be no point of waiting to sign, as they wouldn't gain anything by doing so. They just need to institute a rookie salary cap - it would fix a lot of the ills.

Not to mention the joke that is non-guaranteed contracts, only in sport with a spinless, in-bead union could that be gotten away with.

Yes, but they get guaranteed money within those contracts, which basically acts as the same thing. Besides, do you work under a guaranteed contract? I wish I did.

What a terrible post!

It's amazing that the average NFL fails to realize how badly NFL players get pissed on in their careers. The NFL is a meat market and when you compare the average salary of an NFL player in comparison to league revenues the NFL pales in comparion to other major league sports.

Don't get me wrong the NFL CBA is great for owners and exceptionally great for fans. But don't piss and moan when agents try and get top dollar for rookies or leverage a good year with a hold out.

You have to make money while you can in the NFL because tommorow you will be a discarded chunk of meat.

Why should someone with the ability to catch a ball or catch the person with that ball be set for life when they are only useful for a short number of years?

Not possible, legally. It just wouldn't fly. The union wouldn't stand for it, and even if they did, the courts wouldn't.

Not only that, but it would be unbelievably hypocritical of the clubs to say to the players "You MUST live up to your contract for it's full length. We have decided this. We, on the other hand, will cut you any freaking time we feel like it. We don't feel there is any need for US to live up to the contract. You on the other hand ... See ya."

Waste breath about it if you want, but this has about as much chance of happening as a comet hitting the 50 yard-line at the Ralph and doing no damage.

Yes, but they get guaranteed money within those contracts, which basically acts as the same thing. Besides, do you work under a guaranteed contract? I wish I did.

If you quit your job, can you get another job within the same industry? They wish they did.

CBA

I do think the suggestions have a lot of merit and yes they should be bargained into the CBA. I am not a fan of arbitration. I think of a player does not sign by a certain date he shoudl be done for the year and go back into the next years draft class.

Why should someone with the ability to catch a ball or catch the person with that ball be set for life when they are only useful for a short number of years?

Because people are willing to pay hundreds of millions of dollars, even billions of dollars a year, to watch them. Them and nobody else. Notice how successful the USFL was? And the Arena League? People are willing to pay big bucks, but only to watch the highest level players.

In short, for the same reasons that movie stars get huge bucks. Because they bring in huge bucks.

What a terrible post!

while i do agree somewhat with your post, i think you need to step back for a second. Many of these guys are playing football because they either love the game or they would not be able to find another job making a quarter of what they would playing in the NFL. Most of these guys play only 3-5years. I think the average NFL career is 3 years. But in those three years they make 100s of thousands of dollars usually. The good players make millions. Now if someone gave you millions if dollars in your 20s, Lets just say 2 million and you were respnsible with it, you would not have to work again the rest of your life. You could live off the interest every year and make over 100k a year. Not bad. You could litterally play golf everyday, live in a nice 350-500k house, drive a nice car, and take a nice two week vacation every year. Think about it really. Heck you could go get a 9-5 job and work for 20 years retire when you are 45 and have millions waiting for you in retirement. Not bad for 3 years of work in your early to mid 20s. Not to mention you lived the football lifestyle for those few years as well.

If you're anxious about Maybin's signing, what are you going to do when you lose your job, you've got no sickness and dying insurance, and your wife spends every Tuesday and Thursday visiting Travis Henry?

sue travis henry for child support because if thats the case he's most likely the real father of my children...

Because people are willing to pay hundreds of millions of dollars, even billions of dollars a year, to watch them. Them and nobody else. Notice how successful the USFL was? And the Arena League? People are willing to pay big bucks, but only to watch the highest level players.

In short, for the same reasons that movie stars get huge bucks. Because they bring in huge bucks.

Yup, we're really !@#$ed up.

How about, if the contract isn't done by July 15th, the team loses the roster spot? That's fair right? Contracts are negotiations that involve two sides. If the team simply paid the price the agent asked for, they could sign them on the day after the draft!

:thumbdown:

Also, the team must honor the contract for the duration. No more cutting vets for cap space! A contract is a contract, no? If you cut the player you still owe him all the $$ left in the contract (just like in real life).

This entire thread is a crock of s#it.