Ellison is keeping his job

According to Allen Wilson of Buffalo News, Keith Ellison is "shedding all competition" for the strong-side LB position. Should we feel glad that he is so competitive and smart that no-one can take away his starting job or fearful that draft picks like Bowen and Harris aren't even good enough to challenge the D's weakest link?

Personally, I suspect it's a positive. Maybe he's not our weakest link.

According to Allen Wilson of Buffalo News, Keith Ellison is "shedding all competition" for the strong-side LB position. Should we feel glad that he is so competitive and smart that no-one can take away his starting job or fearful that draft picks like Bowen and Harris aren't even good enough to challenge the D's weakest link?

No

Experience is always good he must be getting something out of all those starts.

It's not a matter of athleticism or desire, it's simply a matter of size. He'll never be effective because he simply is just too small and gets pushed around at the point of attack. Hence he never makes any significant plays.

From my personal experience at camp, Ellison is not shredding any competition. From various reports I have read, Bowen and Harris have been looking good enough to take Ellison's spot. If he is the best of the three I say play him, But I dont think he is.

It's not a matter of athleticism or desire, it's simply a matter of size. He'll never be effective because he simply is just too small and gets pushed around at the point of attack. Hence he never makes any significant plays.

So, are you a big fan of the "smaller, quicker Tampa-2" scheme? :devil:

There really isn't any appreciable size difference between Ellison, Bowen or Harris. Ellison is the incumbent, which matters quite a bit I'd guess.

It's positive to hear that he's playing well but we should consider that his competition is a rookie (Harris) and another somewhat rookie (Bowen who missed all of last season). It can't be that hard to shine amongst those two.

I really was hoping for Keiaho and would take Brooks at this point.

From my personal experience at camp, Ellison is not shredding any competition. From various reports I have read, Bowen and Harris have been looking good enough to take Ellison's spot. If he is the best of the three I say play him, But I dont think he is.

My biggest fear is that Jauron will be reluctant to move him on the roster as he seems to show poor ability in recognizing younger talent. (see: J. Greer, F. Jackson)

It's positive to hear that he's playing well but we should consider that his competition is a rookie (Harris) and another somewhat rookie (Bowen who missed all of last season). It can't be that hard to shine amongst those two.

I really was hoping for Keiaho and would take Brooks at this point.

Isn't Keiaho still a free agent? If he is than I really don't get why the Bills didn't sign this guy, It seemed like he had a good visit awhile back.

And Atlanta was happy with our cast off 209# LB Coy Wire.

What's that about beauty and the beholder.

Isn't this Ellison's third year? Traditionally when most players "really start to get it".

Maybe our OLB's will look a little better with some pressure off the edges.

Harris is a converted SS. The change to LB probably is probably difficult when going from college to pros especially. It doesn't surprise me that Ellison is ahead of him right now. If he can pick things up quickly he could replace Ellison by the end of the season but I think it will take one more offseason to get him in shape to physically handle the position every Sunday. He's 6'2" 232 but not very strong from what the draft guides have said. JMO

Of course this title is misleading. Ellison MIGHT keep his job, but this article does little to suggest it is a done deal.

Wouldn't it be expected that a player with two years at the position, in this system, would look better than the competition in the first week of camp? I hope Ellison looks GREAT all through camp an in the preseason. I also hope one (or more) of the other LBs looks better, and can take the starting spot. August 1st is no time to get worked up about it, though.

I suspect Ellison will be the starter for the season opener. After that, we'll see who steps up.

I am certainly impressed.

He is competing with a 5th round pick from last year who blew out his knee and this year's 5th round pick who played SS in college and has to learn a new position.

both of which are also too small, slow and weak to be effective NFL LBs.

maybe the Bills will give up fewer than 126 rushing yards/ game with these beasts on the field. :thumbdown:

from watching training camp yesterday I have to admit this - Keith Ellison works much, much harder than either Bowen or Harris. If I had to assign each a number based upon their effort, performance and demeanor from 0-100, bowen was about a 50, harris a 65 and Ellison a 95. This is coming from a guy who HATES having ellison as a starting linebacker, but I can not deny what I saw. Ellison ran every drill like poz did - hard and full speed head with emotion. harris and more specifically Bowen kinda just did it and even half assed it at points. More importantly, as practice ended, Bowen was kinda mouthing back to Ellison as Ellison and some other UDFA kept running suicides. Bowen, of all people, should have been the guy after practice working harder. No, it was Ellison. The guy just went the extra mile all day in camp. Bowen was just a sad excuse in my opinion, for some people to have hope that he amounts to something. Harris has natural skill, certainly but just didn't seem to execute well, which is probably because he is a rookie.

I hate admitting it, but I was actually impressed with Ellison and he also looked to have bulked up some.

also - I was really impressed to see Fine and Nelson working much longer after practice. encouraging sign.