Jairus Byrd's Injury...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to beat a dead horse a little, is anyone else at least a little offended that the Bils brain trust, knowing this guy was injured, knowing he had a late exam schedule, essentially knowing he would not be able to compete likely for the first half or all of his rookie season, drafted him with the second round pick? Shades of McGahee.

DJ, stop rimming everyone who is a db that can hit (eventually, hopefully).

Start doing what id right for the team.

I heard again that Brown looks great on the Panthers, perfect compliment to Peppers, likely game one starter.

Wow, I really really dislike DJ.

But the guys are working hard, lets give them another day off. Or in Byrds case, 2 weeks minimum and likely much longer, off.

Damaged goods we have because DJ cannot resisit a db.

Horrible. Disgusting.

Thanks, you Dick!!

Who said they knew he was injured when they drafted him? Or that the injury required surgery?

If they didnt they should have:

Byrd played with a groin injury through most of his last collegiate season, and it continued bothering him this spring. The Bills were aware of the injury and suggested the player have an operation when Byrd met with the coaching staff in Buffalo in mid-June. Byrd, however, waited to have the operation about two weeks ago.

Sounds to me like they knew what they were getting. And like it or not imn my view it is a slap in the face to all of us as we need so many things right now. This was NOT a highest priority position (like when we had Henry and drafted McGahee despite glaring weaknesses throughout the team) no matter what anyone says, and there were fully healthy DEs, LBs, and OLs available in that slot.

Sports Hernias by the way are very uncertain and can be months or years in fully healing. 2 weeks is the optimistic view.

Byrd played with a groin injury through most of his last collegiate season, and it continued bothering him this spring. The Bills were aware of the injury and suggested the player have an operation when Byrd met with the coaching staff in Buffalo in mid-June. Byrd, however, waited to have the operation about two weeks ago.

Sounds to me like they knew what they were getting. And like it or not imn my view it is a slap in the face to all of us as we need so many things right now. This was NOT a highest priority position (like when we had Henry and drafted McGahee despite glaring weaknesses throughout the team) no matter what anyone says, and there were fully healthy DEs, LBs, and OLs available in that slot.

Sports Hernias by the way are very uncertain and can be months or years in fully healing. 2 weeks is the optimistic view.

Do you continually just talk out of your rear end? Sports hernia recovery time is 6-8 weeks according to most surgeons. Where are you getting months to years?

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sportsinjuries/a/hernia.htm

http://www.umm.edu/general_surgery/sportshernia.htm

http://www.columbia-stmarys.org/NewsPressR...ageID=WTN000047

Do you continually just talk out of your rear end? Sports hernia recovery time is 6-8 weeks according to most surgeons. Where are you getting months to years?

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/sportsinjuries/a/hernia.htm

http://www.umm.edu/general_surgery/sportshernia.htm

http://www.columbia-stmarys.org/NewsPressR...ageID=WTN000047

Usually takes about 8 weeks. Between 65 and 90% who experience a sports hernia fully recover 100%.

Sometimes, does not take 8 weeks. It is uncertain.

Sometimes, there are permanent residual effects.

As with ALL internal injuries.

We hope for the best, that in 8 weeks, after the start of the season, he will be 100% and ready to PRACTICE for the FIRST TIME as a Bill.

Uncertain. Seems likely that he will, but uncertain none the less.

They drafted him at the end of April. Why would they wait until June to recommend surgery?

Usually takes about 8 weeks. Between 65 and 90% who experience a sports hernia fully recover 100%.

Sometimes, does not take 8 weeks. It is uncertain.

Sometimes, there are permanent residual effects.

As with ALL internal injuries.

We hope for the best, that in 8 weeks, after the start of the season, he will be 100% and ready to PRACTICE for the FIRST TIME as a Bill.

Uncertain. Seems likely that he will, but uncertain none the less.

Got a commercial for you to watch

They drafted him at the end of April. Why would they wait until June to recommend surgery?

If he had it for his entire senior year, maybe they should have known and investigated that? Before drafting him?

Or...?

And from an earlier post:

"We all remember how that impacted Sammie Morris' career, and it zapped CIN '04 #1 pick, rb Chris Perry for 2 years"

If he had it for his entire senior year, maybe they should have known and investigated that? Before drafting him?

Or...?

"We all remember how that impacted Sammie Morris' career, and it zapped CIN '04 #1 pick, rb Chris Perry for 2 years"

A groin injury doesn't always require surgery. Sammy Morris' career was never seriously impacted by it. And given that Chris Perry is out of the league, he had issues other than his sports hernia.

Or...?

Yeah that fractured leg had nothing to do with it. Plus he had plenty of ankle issues

A groin injury doesn't always require surgery. Sammy Morris' career was never seriously impacted by it. And given that Chris Perry is out of the league, he had issues other than his sports hernia.

Let's hope Byrd comes back in 6-8 weeks as advisertised, and can contribute this year.

I see him as a year 2 contributor but as you point out I have been wrong many times in the past.

Let's hope Donte can "playmake" this year from the FS position too and it becomes moot (except for who we could have had with that pick).

Let's hope Byrd comes back in 6-8 weeks as advisertised, and can contribute this year.

I see him as a year 2 contributor but as you point out I have been wrong many times in the past.

Let's hope Donte can "playmake" this year from the FS position too and it becomes moot (except for who we could have had with that pick).

Well given the delay in having his surgery, I don't have any faith in Byrd doing much this year. My point was to say that he can recover and that it wasn't the Bills' fault that he waited so long to have surgery. Had he had it when the Bills said he should have it, he'd be healed by now.

Well given the delay in having his surgery, I don't have any faith in Byrd doing much this year. My point was to say that he can recover and that it wasn't the Bills' fault that he waited so long to have surgery. Had he had it when the Bills said he should have it, he'd be healed by now.

if he was under contract with the Bills, I can see how they could dictate when he should have the surgery.

but i guess the Bills were more concerned with paying out a nominal signing bonus earlier than the start of camp than getting a key player signed and ready for his career with the Bills.

if he was under contract with the Bills, I can see how they could dictate when he should have the surgery.

but i guess the Bills were more concerned with paying out a nominal signing bonus earlier than the start of camp than getting a key player signed and ready for his career with the Bills.

Thats the sad part to me that we draft in round 2 a guy who has a serious surgery requiring injury at all.

Enough already though.

Mr. Fewell, DJ, you got your man! Hopefully one of you will still be around by the time he plays a down. Or maybe, hopefully not.

Thats the sad part to me that we draft in round 2 a guy who has a serious surgery requiring injury at all.

Enough already though.

Mr. Fewell, DJ, you got your man! Hopefully one of you will still be around by the time he plays a down. Or maybe, hopefully not.

The onus was on Byrd to have the surgery when the Bills told him to have it, because obviously his injury wasn't healing on its own. And it apparently didn't affect him enough to prevent him from working-out on campus in April, after skipping the Combine workouts.

And the notion that the Bills should have signed him before virtually every other pick signed, just so he could get surgery, is about the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I'd be willing to wager this has never happened before in the NFL. Byrd has cost himself a lot of money because he'll miss-out on playing time incentives, much less starting money.

I hope this latest incident makes the Bills decide to avoid drafting or signing players represented by Eugene Parker.

The onus was on Byrd to have the surgery when the Bills told him to have it, because obviously his injury wasn't healing on its own. And it apparently didn't affect him enough to prevent him from working-out on campus in April, after skipping the Combine workouts.

And the notion that the Bills should have signed him before virtually every other pick signed, just so he could get surgery, is about the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I'd be willing to wager this has never happened before in the NFL. Byrd has cost himself a lot of money because he'll miss-out on playing time incentives, much less starting money.

I hope this latest incident makes the Bills decide to avoid drafting or signing players represented by Eugene Parker.

even better -

maybe the Bills should stop drafting players who are already injured badly enough to need surgery before they can play

This Jairus cat better be better than Everette Brown, Clint Sintim, Connor Barwin, Max Unger, LeSean McCoy, Phil Loadholt, William Moore and Fili Moala...just to name a few of the players we could have had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_Draft#Round_two

...Or just be better than Carolina's 2010 first round pick, as that was a decent option at the time. (Carolina traded up to get Brown.)

Damaged goods we have because DJ cannot resisit a db.

Horrible. Disgusting.

Thanks, you Dick!!

Why all the DJ hate? DJ doesn't have complete say on draft picks. Wasn't it Fewell who had the family connection with this kid? Anyway, now that he's a Bill, let's hope he becomes our version of Ed Reed.