Reche Caldwell works out...

Link

I guess this says one of three things.

1. Johnson's injury could be worse than we're being told.

2. The team is entertaining the notion of trading Reed or Parrish.

3. Absolutely nothing.

Personally i think that they need warm bodies to get through the grind of camp. You gotta think that april will still push to keep huggins and jenkins for special teams even if we trade roscoe or reed.

Or...

James Hardy is hurt.

Steve Johnson is hurt.

C.J. Hawthorne is hurt.

P.K. Sam is hurt.

Shawn Nelson is hurt.

Owens and Evans start, with Reed and Parrish getting plays in with 1st team, and we don't have anyone other than Felton Huggins and Justin Jenkins to run 2nd and 3rd team reps.

Or...

James Hardy is hurt.

Steve Johnson is hurt.

P.K. Sam is hurt.

Shawn Nelson is hurt.

Owens and Evans start, with Reed and Parrish getting plays in with 1st team, and we don't have anyone other than Felton Huggins and Justin Jenkins to run 2nd and 3rd team reps.

So he's camp fodder? Wouldn't a cheaper alternative be to bring in UFAs? Why a 30 year old with league experience?

So he's camp fodder? Wouldn't a cheaper alternative be to bring in UFAs? Why a 30 year old with league experience?

Maybe they want someone experienced who can step in and play, not hold everyone around him down because he doesn't know what he's doing, like a rookie or young guy. Not sure though.

So we can work out an old injured guy who hasn't played in the NFL for two years, but working out someone who played at a high level last year like Derrick Brooks is a no-no?

The Bills confuse me.

You must be confused about the term "high level."

Or you have really low standards.

You must be confused about the term "high level."

Or you have really low standards.

Yeah, you're right. Who needs the premiere Cover 2 OLB of the decade, 11-time Pro Bowl, 6-time All Pro, NFL Defensive MVP and Super Bowl winner on this team?

At the very worst, he's the same as Ellison. At the very best, he provides quality leadership, instant depth and a playmaker on the outside.

Yeah, you're right. Who needs the premiere Cover 2 OLB of the decade, 11-time Pro Bowl, 6-time All Pro, NFL Defensive MVP and Super Bowl winner on this team?

At the very worst, he's the same as Ellison. At the very best, he provides quality leadership, instant depth and a playmaker on the outside.

Brooks has dropped in tackles every single year for the last 5 seasons. Last year was his biggest drop off, falling over 30 tackles short of the year previous. He hasn't tallied a sack in 4 years. He only plays 2 downs. He is 36 years old. I'm guessing you didn't watch the Buccs much last year. He was slow to react, and even when he got to the player, was missing tackles all over the place. This guy gives you absolutely nothing on the field. Not to mention having him here stunts the growth of all the young, talented guys at the position. Keith Ellison is a much better option at this point.

Brooks has dropped in tackles every single year for the last 5 seasons. Last year was his biggest drop off, falling over 30 tackles short of the year previous. He hasn't tallied a sack in 4 years. He only plays 2 downs. He is 36 years old. I'm guessing you didn't watch the Buccs much last year. He was slow to react, and even when he got to the player, was missing tackles all over the place. This guy gives you absolutely nothing on the field. Not to mention having him here stunts the growth of all the young, talented guys at the position. Keith Ellison is a much better option at this point.

You and I will have to agree to disagree, I don't thinking bringing in a talented leader like Brooks could do anything but improve this squad. And as for our young, talented players at OLB (which is debatable since all I see is a player recovering from an ACL injury and a player too small to have a real position in the NFL) they would serve one year as a backup before moving into a starting position.

You and I will have to agree to disagree, I don't thinking bringing in a talented leader like Brooks could do anything but improve this squad. And as for our young, talented players at OLB (which is debatable since all I see is a player recovering from an ACL injury and a player too small to have a real position in the NFL) they would serve one year as a backup before moving into a starting position.

Derrick Brooks is perhaps the best player in Buccs history. Their fans even go as far as saying he was the best OLB to play the game. He has been the leader and face of that franchise for the last 14 years. Teams tend to hold on to those players as long as they can. What does it say when the guy who has been coaching Brooks for the last few years on defense, gets promoted to head coach, and outright cuts the guy from the team? If there were anything left in the tank, the Buccs would keep a guy like that around, especially with having a guy with serious knee problems (Crowell) take his place.

Strange bedfellows

BTW cincy...hate to take this off topic, but is it true that the term bedfellows was coined in the 17 or 1800's when it was common for travelers to share a bed at an inn or private house?

I don't know.

But there is an archaic, sneering, comment..."four legs under".

The meaning was "there's more to marriage than just 4 legs writhing under the covers."

Perhaps it should be resurrected...it would seem to be applicable these days.

I would add an appropriate smiley, but something happened to the TBD s/w or to my own PC that no longer gives me that ability. :-{{{.