Charlie Coiner: " Shawn Nelson is lost"

Pitta

This is EXACTLY why we can't depend on rookies to improve the team in the first year. This is prescisely why I'm disappointed that so many people have high hopes for rookies, and think our team will be better. I think the team will be worse (7-9 would be a good season IMHO), and I'm not happy about it.

Going into the offseason we needed serious help on o-line, d-line (end in particluar), and LB. The two positions we significantly addressed in FA were center and WR. We did precious little otherwise.

The moves made this offseason weren't made with any sense of urgency about winning this year. You can't do the same thing year after year and expect to improve. Nelson may end up being a great player in a few years, but if you have to limit his exposure to the field because can't block, we're screwed. Our problems at TE continue. Christ, I bet we'll even miss Robert Royal and Lonnie Johnson.

Bottom line: Potential doesn't win football games. All rookies have is potential, and can't be depended on to contribute in year one and probably not year two. Adding a center, switching a pro-bowl T for a pro-bowl WR while at the same time depending on a new batch of rookies to perform isn't a good plan to win in '09.

Eggzaklee!

If we can get the two rookies to be starting Guards all season, we should consider ourselves lucky. We needed to do much more in FA to compete this year. This is a 5-11 team this year.

funny, Chris Brown in his chat just was talking about how Nelson has been doing well

If you are looking for unbiased information then don't read or listen to Chris Brown.

If you only want to hear the most optimistic news and propaganda from One Bills Drive then by all means read Chris Brown.

Yeah, this basically reaffirms what most fans expected.

should be no problem

with that extra pre-season game, he should be ready to go by game 1.

good thing Dick is maximizing use of those 2-a-days to get the rookies prepared

Hopefully he will catch on fast now that he is in camp.

I get the feeling that this is probably true, that he probably is pretty unpolished though physically gifted. On his blog, Chris Brown seems to have been saying the same thing, working to downplay expectations of his production this year. I've got high hopes for him in the future, but from the sound of it, I don't think he'll see much more than spot receiving duty and ST work this year.

It seems everyone we sign is "unpolished" and the coaches cant ever seem to find any brasso.

Guest dog14787
If he ain't blockin, he ain't playing.

Shawn Nelson required extra attention throughout much of his college career because of his excellent receiving skills. So it wouldn't surprise me to see him used some in the passing game as he's being groomed to fill the traditional TE duties.

Hopefully he will catch on fast now that he is in camp.

I get the feeling that this is probably true, that he probably is pretty unpolished though physically gifted. On his blog, Chris Brown seems to have been saying the same thing, working to downplay expectations of his production this year. I've got high hopes for him in the future, but from the sound of it, I don't think he'll see much more than spot receiving duty and ST work this year.

Weren't we saying the same thing about bust to be James Hardy last year. :rolleyes:

Weren't we saying the same thing about bust to be James Hardy last year. :wallbash:

Since when have 2nd rounders started to be given the "bust" title? I thought that was reserved for 1st round picks :lol:

Just a reminder.

July 28th is not the day to panic over a football season.

When Aaron Schobel joined the Bills in 2001 as a 2nd round draft pick, he flat out said he felt like he "didn't belong in the NFL" after practicing with NFL caliber players.

On the other hand, there are guys like Kwame Cavil - practice squad champions - who have awe inspiring performances without pads; yet he's a free agent in the CFL now.

Let it play out.

Panic later.

Stroud, Rhodes, Owens, Mitchell?

For every Stroud, there's been a Tripplett.

For every Rhodes, there's been a A-train.

For every Owens, there's been a Peerless.

For every Mitchell, there've been 5 guys on Bobby April's STs.

The Cleveland Browns have Robert Royal starting...

You're point is?

Oh. We could be worse off than we already are. We could have Mangini as a coach and Royal as our TE. Who's their QB again? And their best WR drops the ball more than he catches it.