America's Ten Fastest Dying Cities!

Don't worry, scientists predict that in the next 50 yrs there will be a HUGE fresh water crisis in the USA, especially in the South, Soutwest and West. Places that have huge fresh water lakes sitting next to them like Buffalo, Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, Rochester, etc.. are poised to make giant comebacks when the populations and large businesses move towards that direction.

great --at age 101 maybe i can still get a job in cheektowaga

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way things work around here, NYS will figure out a way to make us pay to send our water elsewhere.

(See NY Power Authority, and our 50% higher than national average electric rates.)

The water's going nowhere. Last year, amidst absolutely zero fanfare (thank God) the Great Lakes Compact was passed and signed into law. The water of the Great Lakes can only be used by those COUNTIES in those states which border the lake, and which are part of the drainage basin. So, for example, Lake Ontario water can't even be diverted to Sullivan or Rockland Counties. I'm sitting here looking at a beautiful bay in the Eastern Basin of Lake Ontario.....and it's going to be here forever. NOT watering some goddamn golf course in Nevada.

The water's going nowhere. Last year, amidst absolutely zero fanfare (thank God) the Great Lakes Compact was passed and signed into law. The water of the Great Lakes can only be used by those COUNTIES in those states which border the lake, and which are part of the drainage basin. So, for example, Lake Ontario water can't even be diverted to Sullivan or Rockland Counties. I'm sitting here looking at a beautiful bay in the Eastern Basin of Lake Ontario.....and it's going to be here forever. NOT watering some goddamn golf course in Nevada.

Wow!

Sensible legislation in WNY/ Southern Ontario?!?!?

Maybe we should start hiding in our bombshelters now?

After years of pollution, I wouldn't call those Lakes "fresh". :wallbash:

I believe the Lake Erie water is actually fairly clean, isn't it?

Back in the heyday of Bethlehem Steel, Republic Steel, Hooker Chemicals, General Mills, or whomever - crap was dumped in the great lakes in ungodly amounts, with profit, rather than pollution foremost on the minds of the offending companies.

On the wave of the environmental movement of the late 60s and 70s, didn't a slew of new EPA regulation lead to drasictally cleaner great lakes? Anyone know? How clean are the lakes now? I know there's been some algae problems attributed to mussels, or something like that.

When I recently flew above the Lake Erie shoreline, upon descent into Buffalo, I was awestruck by the magnitude and beauty of the lake as the sun reflected off of the water and power boats and sailboats floated below me. Funny how many facets of the area we take for granted growing up there, and never realized, until being transplanted elsewhere, how truly beautiful the landscape is in WNY.

Speaking of lakes and fresh water....

My water bill last month was $118 (including sewer). In Buffalo, I believe you still only get a bill like every 3 months. Since the fee is so low, it wouldn't be unusual to pay around $50 for the quarter for water. We have lower taxes here, but when you start adding it all up, I'm not sure we're really any better off, particularly when you consider all the amenities (bike paths, numerous parks, Mighty Taco, etc) available to many WNYers.

I believe the Lake Erie water is actually fairly clean, isn't it?

Back in the heyday of Bethlehem Steel, Republic Steel, Hooker Chemicals, General Mills, or whomever - crap was dumped in the great lakes in ungodly amounts, with profit, rather than pollution foremost on the minds of the offending companies.

On the wave of the environmental movement of the late 60s and 70s, didn't a slew of new EPA regulation lead to drasictally cleaner great lakes? Anyone know? How clean are the lakes now? I know there's been some algae problems attributed to mussels, or something like that.

When I recently flew above the Lake Erie shoreline, upon descent into Buffalo, I was awestruck by the magnitude and beauty of the lake as the sun reflected off of the water and power boats and sailboats floated below me. Funny how many facets of the area we take for granted growing up there, and never realized, until being transplanted elsewhere, how truly beautiful the landscape is in WNY.

My water bill last month was $118 (including sewer). In Buffalo, I believe you still only get a bill like every 3 months. Since the fee is so low, it wouldn't be unusual to pay around $50 for the quarter for water. We have lower taxes here, but when you start adding it all up, I'm not sure we're really any better off, particularly when you consider all the amenities (bike paths, numerous parks, Mighty Taco, etc) available to many WNYers.

Good questions.

I believe that people are still warned to not eat the fish out of the lakes because of PCB's still in the water and the fish.

Swimming is also discouraged at certain sites.

Yes and no - there are cracks in the dikes from which some are trying to divert and once it is diverted once there will be no end to the diversions. The example you mentioned Nevada is not the immediate danger but communities like NYC & Cincinnati which are outside of Great Lakes basin but want to tap into the water. In Wisconsin the western communities are already starting to fight to have access to the water.

What an idiotic article. Have these ignaramuses ever been to Gary, IN? ... the state of Indiana... Worst Verginia (spelled with the backwoods accent)? Come on.

I spent yesterday morning in Rochester and the afternoon in Buffalo. Unemployment and NY Welfare pay very well these days (at my exp). Both towns we're bustling, busy and well-watered from 20+ consecutive days of rain.

How come the Ontario shore in Rochester smells so bad?...uggggh that beach near Charlotte....its greenish brown and smells like a Bombay sewage treatment plant.

I like your vision Red. I am 100% behind city cores becoming the focus again.

Thanks, man.

It breaks my heart to see the real WNY, when there are is so much potential if things would be amended.

I think WNY is controlled to a large extent by NYC and Albany. I never understood why local politicians were ok with this. I like Brian Higgins.

But WNY, IMO, needs someone who is bigger than the politics of the area to come in and bond everyone together for change. Someone to really drive what needs to be done, and embarrass anyone who gets in the way. I'm not saying I have an idea who, but someone with the profile of a Trump or something. Someone so big, anyone that got in the way would be crushed.

And they most likely would have to come from outside of the WNY system of doing things.

But alas, I dream too much...

As soon as no one is left I'm moving back to Rochester so I can finally be alone... :wallbash:

hehe..i actually like rochester more than Buff as far as the downtown area is concerned even tho im a former buffalonian

Hialeah dying? Yo no se, amigo. Not from where I sit, which is Miami Lakes AKA Hialeah West.

Say hola to the gang at Don Shula's for me.

My wife is heading to her Hialeah Thoroughbreds H.S. reunion in a couple of weeks.

Oh yeah. House to myself. Party time for me!!!

Got it all scheduled already.

Day 1:

Stop down at the park on Sat. 15th during soundcheck, get Paul to autograph my replica Hofner Beatle bass

Give ex-Beatle unsolicited advise on how to effectively play Blackbird and pick up chicks.

Stop at local pub for a cold beer.

Call cops to recover signed Beatle bass stolen from parked car.

Go home, have another beer.

Rub one out.

Invite some friends over.

Order pizza & wings

Drink more beer.

Watch Bills/Bears preseason game in high def.

Get rid of friends.

Rub one out again.

Go to bed.

Day 2: .........etc

Oh yeah. A real party animal am I.

Buffalo, the zombie city. Is this a shock to anyone? Buffalo is always on these lists. While Charlotte, Orlando, Phoenix and other sunbelt cities are always on the list for fastest growing cities because they are obviously such awesome places to live that everyone wants to move or rather SHOULD move there. We know Buffalo is not the thriving place it once was. Perhaps by the time the next study rolls around, Buffalo will have collapsed and fallen on Cheektowaga and killed it too.

Yep. My last quarterly bill was about $34 for two people.