CHARGERS Matt Wilhelm LB RELEASED

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's easier to fudge weight on official guides than height. Maybe ellsion is actually 25lbs lighter. Who knows. Size doesn't matter anyway, only if they can play.

Size does matter. LB's have to be able to shed blocks, wrap up and tackle. Keith ellison gets pushed around all over the field.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Matt's wife last summer. I booked her Niagara Falls touring schedule. IIRC, she went to Geneseo and met Matt when he was at Ohio State. She had great love of WNY, so this could play in the Bills' favor.

Pics?

The Chargers have a great LB core so just because he was released doesn't mean he is lacking in ability. It would be great to have him in here as depth and to replace DiGi.

I also just heard that Trent texted Russ this after he heard of the release, "How about Wilhelm?" :wallbash:

So, how soon will we sign Wilhelm? I assume it's only a matter of time at this point.

Considering how we dropped the ball on Pisa and Cato to name a couple, assuming that we will sign him may lead to some disappointment. However, I totally agree with you, bring him in!

He sucks. My friend is a huge Chargers fan and is relieved Wilhelm is gone.

He's not good enough to be a full time starter (which San Diego had him at). However, he's a capable backup player who would provide good depth and fill in 2-3 games for Poz if needed.

So, how soon will we sign Wilhelm? I assume it's only a matter of time at this point.

From the wikipedia article it appears he is a special teamer who got starts because of the departure of another player.

Don't we already have that guy, named Keith Ellison?

Who's your choice to replace DiGiorgio? I think bringing him to camp to compete for a job would just be smart. JMO

Exactly. With the loss of Digi that leaves an already very weak linebacking corps even weaker. If Poz goes down, for instance, we will be stuck with either Pat Thomas or Marcus Buggs as our starting MLB. While Wilhelm may not be a dynamo, he at least is a veteran who has starting experience with one of the NFL's elite teams over the course of the last 5 years. You really can't tell me that he would be any worse of an option backing up Poz than what we already have.

Of course, I assumed that we would have signed a veteran OLB to start over Ellison months ago, and we all know how that has turned out.

Who's your choice to replace DiGiorgio? I think bringing him to camp to compete for a job would just be smart. JMO

Not to exhume the body of the dead horse for another round of beating but how about a guy who's perhaps the best cover two linebacker in history with multiple Pro Bowls, a Defensive Player of the Year award, and a Super Bowl ring?

Derrick Brooks is not the player he used to be albeit but it's hard to believe that from an ability and a leadership standpoint that he wouldn't be a huge upgrade for this team. Mike Vick? No. Derrick Brooks? Definitely.