Bruce Smith vs Reggie White

Nationally, it's nearly unanymously Reggie White, after conducting a little google survey.

Care to share your research instrument, sampling methodology and data? I'm curios as to why you think your "little google survey" is generalizable to represent opinions "nationally".

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to share your research instrument, sampling methodology and data? I'm curios as to why you think your "little google survey" is generalizable to represent opinions "nationally".

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Nothing scientific, but being a Bills fan, I never heard any broadcasters, analysts or non-Bills related personnel refer to Bruce as the best.

Not to take anything away from Reggie White, he was great. But you would be hard pressed to find any NFL analyst who would say Reggie is Better than Bruce.

I'm fairly certain I've never heard an analyst refer to Bruce being better than Reggie.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Nothing scientific, but being a Bills fan, I never heard any broadcasters, analysts or non-Bills related personnel refer to Bruce as the best.

My bad, Inky. I thought you meant the other definition of "survey", as in you conducted a survey of people's opinions. I see what you are talking about, now.

I think there is little question that more analysts would choose White, if asked. I also think most of these analysts are borderline morons, for the most part...and not because they would pick White. These guys aren't doing a full, informed analysis before spouting their opinions, for the most part.

I think there are good arguments for both players, and understand someone choosing one over the other, if they demonstrate a full understanding of the context and differences in both players' careers.

While I would guess more analysts would pick White, I'm guessing more of those who give detailed responses, pointing out the strengths/weaknesses of each and consider their particular defenses and teammates, would choose Bruce. Just my guess.

While I would guess more analysts would pick White, I'm guessing more of those who give detailed responses, pointing out the strengths/weaknesses of each and consider their particular defenses and teammates, would choose Bruce. Just my guess.

I've always been intrigued by the massive beheamoth clobber monsters like White who just imposed themselves on teams. Richard Seymour comes to mind, as does Albert Haynesworth, Julius Peppers, etc. Speed rushers like Bruce are a valuable commodity in the NFL but 300lbs + game changers are more to my liking. :thumbsup:

I've always been intrigued by the massive beheamoth clobber monsters like White who just imposed themselves on teams. Richard Seymour comes to mind, as does Albert Haynesworth, Julius Peppers, etc. Speed rushers like Bruce are a valuable commodity in the NFL but 300lbs + game changers are more to my liking. :thumbsup:

Must be their massive calves.

GO BILLS!!!

It's hard to give an answer, as they both were great. I think discounting Bruce's teammates is a bit short sighted too. While he didn't have the same quality on the line, teams had to account for the pass rushing of Biscuit and Paup at all times. Not sure White had those quality LB's. What stands out for me with Bruce is that he got his sacks when it mattered. 3rd and 5, up by 2 in the 4th quarter. Sacks that took teams out of field goal range. It seemed like you could always count on him at crunch time. I didn't watch enough White games to know if he was the same.

White was better. Bruce was more exciting. Bruce ran himself past every third play with his outside pass rush. White was more of a power rusher and thus wasn't running past the play as much.

The only people who think Bruce is better are Bills fans. That should tell you something. Plus, White played against some unreal competition in the NFC East in that era and still dominated. Bruce, OTOH, got 17 sacks of hapless Ken O'Brien and a bunch more of immobile Drew Bledsoe and Jeff George.

Apples and Oranges. Bruce was a speed guy, Reggie was a power guy. I would take either in a second!!

But if you only had a second, wouldn't you take the speed guy?

GO BILLS!!!