Shawn Nelson in 2009: Does he play?

After the James Hardy fiasco, you have to wonder about Shawn Nelson.

Will they try to turn him into a classical blocking tight end? Unlikely, to me.

So then is he split end, slot receiver, flanker, idiotic H-back...what?

Or will they sit him next to Chris Ellis until he bulks up? Let's hope they don't Kevin Everett him.

After the James Hardy fiasco, you have to wonder about Shawn Nelson.

Will they try to turn him into a classical blocking tight end? Unlikely, to me.

So then is he split end, slot receiver, flanker, idiotic H-back...what?

Or will they sit him next to Chris Ellis until he bulks up? Let's hope they don't Kevin Everett him.

What was the Hardy fiasco again? His injury?

Please explain the Everett statement.

What was the Hardy fiasco again? His injury?

Please explain the Everett statement.

Hardy: Missed only 2 games. Started 3 games. Caught 9 balls. They have to tie his shoes for him, and point to the direction he should run.

Everett: They couldn't figure out how to use him on offense, so he was relegated to special teams. The rest is history.

Hardy: Missed only 2 games. Started 3 games. Caught 9 balls. They have to tie his shoes for him, and point to the direction he should run.

Everett: They couldn't figure out how to use him on offense, so he was relegated to special teams. The rest is history.

Hardy: That's not a fiasco, that's a rookie with a learning curve who got injured in the middle of the season. I optimistically predicted 20 receptions for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns at the start of last season. Anybody asking for much more than that would've been foolish. Eddie Royal's success is NOT the norm.

Everett: What are you, some kind of numbskull? Are you actually trying to argue that the Bills are responsible for his FREAK ACCIDENT because they didn't coach him up well enough to be our starting TE?

Everett: What are you, some kind of numbskull? Are you actually trying to argue that the Bills are responsible for his FREAK ACCIDENT because they didn't coach him up well enough to be our starting TE?

Wow, you really went for the long stretch on that one. If Schonert can't figure out how to use Nelson, he'll be given to April and disappear. My hope is that Schonert puts Shawn's talents to good use ON OFFENSE.The OBD spin on Everett was near identical to their current spin on Nelson.

I would gladly trade April's top STs for a top OFFENSE.

There, DICK...I said the dirty word: OFFENSE!

Likely a banned former poster who got a new computer and username.

Actually, I am the shadowy, grainy figure hiding behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll in the Zapruder film of Dealey Plaza.

Likely a banned former poster who got a new computer and username.

He seems to be making some good points... I'm not sure what everyone's problem is. It seems as if his point on Everett is that he was raw coming out and not a prototypical TE, like Nelson. Hardy is of the same mold - he just doesn't seem to know how to play WR, despite his physical skills. Regardless of Everett's injury, he didn't develop into the TE the Bills thought he could be.

There are a ton of question marks surrounding Nelson - mainly can he make an immediate impact? Longer term, can he develop into a 3 down TE? Those are legitimate questions. I am excited to see him in the preseason.

Nelson has been spending a lot of time with the WR's. So he likely won't be put in situations where he'd be asked to block much.

That's great to hear. If he's any good, he'd be great out of the slot in the red one, together with Owens and Evans. Let's give Lindell's poor, sore leg a rest for a change.

Wow, you really went for the long stretch on that one. If Schonert can't figure out how to use Nelson, he'll be given to April and disappear. My hope is that Schonert puts Shawn's talents to good use ON OFFENSE.The OBD spin on Everett was near identical to their current spin on Nelson.

I would gladly trade April's top STs for a top OFFENSE.

There, DICK...I said the dirty word: OFFENSE!

You said, in regards to Everett, "the rest is history". I took this to mean that you thought there was a direct causal relationship between Everett's relegation to special teams and his injury. If I was wrong, I apologize.

CHECK IT.

I'm calling it now. Nelson is a bust because he hasn't started a single game. Obviously the coaches don't like what tey see from him. Hardy, too, because he hasn't caught a single touchdown since he got injured - LAST YEAR.

CHECK IT.

I'm calling it now. Nelson is a bust because he hasn't started a single game. Obviously the coaches don't like what tey see from him. Hardy, too, because he hasn't caught a single touchdown since he got injured - LAST YEAR.

I'm calling it now. Nelson breaks out this season and makes everyone forget about Kellen Winslow (the original). At the same time, Shawn drags Edwards (kicking and screaming) into becoming Dan Fouts and DICK to becoming Don Coryell.

I'm calling it now. Nelson breaks out this season and makes everyone forget about Kellen Winslow (the original). At the same time, Shawn drags Edwards (kicking and screaming) into becoming Dan Fouts and DICK to becoming Don Coryell.

Ha Ha---On this site stirring the pot!!!

It's rare to find a Tight End with great blocking skills and great hands. The Bills will probably use Nelson in obvious passing situations this year until they can make him an all-around TE. Nelson has the size to be a blocking TE, he just needs to work on his skills. We'll still be seeing Schouman and Fine quite a bit this year, along with some OL lining up at Tight End.

No doubt a 6'5" 240+ Tight End with good hands and speed will have plenty of potential. As long as he's not another Robert Royal.