Your opinion: Do the Bills make Buffalo?

I know its a very terrifying thought. I, for one, and probably speak for everyone here thinks that Buffalo is a top 5 football city in America. If it isn't broken - don't fix it! But taxpayers apparently really hate us.

Apparently $817,000 per game is the cost to taxpayers

In 2010, when the Bills again play a preseason game and a home game in Toronto, the hometown taxpayer subsidy is expected to top more than $900,000 for each game played in Western New York.

But for 2009, Erie County will:

• Set aside $4.2 million for operating and game-day expenses this year. It was $3.9 million last year.

• Continue to pay for stadium upgrades: $2.9 million for this year’s improvements.

• Again provide the Sheriff’s Office detail for game-day security, in addition to the private security firms the Bills hire. Using last year as a guide, the county will pay the deputies about $240,000 this year.

Add it up: $7.35 million.

To me - The Buffalo Bills are the only form of entertainment I care about in Buffalo. The Bills put Buffalo on the map IMO.

For example from another board - someone quoted "The Bills are Buffalo. Not a part. They are one of the few things this area has left - and until our economic boom that is on the horizon appears in full effect, we need the Buffalo Bills."

Here's what I don't understand though...

If Ralph raised its ticket prices by $11.05 - Taxpayers would not have to pay or the Buffalo Bills.

Why doesn't he just raise the prices?

Judging by the fact that the games are almost always sold out despite the fact that Buffalo is in poor shape economically, has one of the worst teams in the league over the past 10 years, has some of the most difficult winter weather in the league, and has one of the largest seating capacities in the league while having one of the smallest population markets in the league, I think it's safe to say that football is extremely important to the people of Buffalo.

Your opinions?

I know its a very terrifying thought. I, for one, and probably speak for everyone here thinks that Buffalo is a top 5 football city in America. If it isn't broken - don't fix it! But taxpayers apparently really hate us.

In 2010, when the Bills again play a preseason game and a home game in Toronto, the hometown taxpayer subsidy is expected to top more than $900,000 for each game played in Western New York.

• Set aside $4.2 million for operating and game-day expenses this year. It was $3.9 million last year.

• Continue to pay for stadium upgrades: $2.9 million for this year’s improvements.

• Again provide the Sheriff’s Office detail for game-day security, in addition to the private security firms the Bills hire. Using last year as a guide, the county will pay the deputies about $240,000 this year.

To me - The Buffalo Bills are the only form of entertainment I care about in Buffalo. The Bills put Buffalo on the map IMO.

For example from another board - someone quoted "The Bills are Buffalo. Not a part. They are one of the few things this area has left - and until our economic boom that is on the horizon appears in full effect, we need the Buffalo Bills."

If Ralph raised its ticket prices by $11.05 - Taxpayers would not have to pay or the Buffalo Bills.

Judging by the fact that the games are almost always sold out despite the fact that Buffalo is in poor shape economically, has one of the worst teams in the league over the past 10 years, has some of the most difficult winter weather in the league, and has one of the largest seating capacities in the league while having one of the smallest population markets in the league, I think it's safe to say that football is extremely important to the people of Buffalo.

Your opinions?

i think its overrated....buffalo may be better in the long run without them

According to erie.gov, Erie County, New York is home to 950,625 men/women/children

Add it up: $7.35 million.[/b]

That's $7.73 per YEAR for every m/w/c in Erie County.

That's $0.64 per month,

$0.15 a week,

$0.02 a day.

My opinion? If this site was indicative of anything about Buffalo ASIDE from the town's love for the Bills, it's a Buffalonian's willingness to contribute two Bills cents a day!

Your opinions?

Do these numbers take into account the revenue, and perhaps even jobs generated by the games in terms of hotels, car rentals, food, and other things that people buy while in Buffalo?

According to erie.gov, Erie County, New York is home to 950,625 men/women/children

That's $0.64 per month,

$0.15 a week,

$0.02 a day.

My opinion? If this site was indicative of anything about Buffalo ASIDE from the town's love for the Bills, it's a Buffalonian's willingness to contribute two Bills cents a day!

:lol:

I agree, the Bills are extremely important to Buffalo. The city just wouldn't be the same without them. You've gotta mention the Sabres too, though. Anybody who remembers the atmosphere of the city when the Blue and Gold were making their playoff runs knows how much the Sabres mean too.

The Bills put Buffalo on the map IMO.

The Erie Canal and DeWitt Clinton put Buffalo on the map. It was one of the top cities in the country in the 19th-early 20th Centuries. Now it's importance has shrunken down in line with its declining relevance.

The citizens have reacted by putting a giant Buffalo chip on their shoulders. The Bills have become the Rocky Balboa of Buffalo. They keep getting bloodied, time-after-time, but everyone knows that, in the end, they'll punch their way out of the corner, and hammer the rest of the world with fanfares blaring in the background.

:lol:

That's $0.64 per month,

$0.15 a week,

$0.02 a day.

That assumes all 950,625 m/w/c either go to the game, watch on TV, or at least care about the Bills which is of course false. Everyone should not pay for the Bills. In theory Ralph should either raise ticket prices or not, but pay for these services. But of course if the county politicians offer to pay, why should he. Being the greedy ba$tard I am, I wouldn't either.

That assumes all 950,625 m/w/c either go to the game, watch on TV, or at least care about the Bills which is of course false. Everyone should not pay for the Bills. In theory Ralph should either raise ticket prices or not, but pay for these services. But of course if the county politicians offer to pay, why should he. Being the greedy ba$tard I am, I wouldn't either.

No, it assumes that every m/w/c pays [their] taxes. Obviously children don't. But if you don't factor them in, you can't get to the two cents joke.

The problem with such numbers as in the OP article is that they do not consider what tax revenue the Bills bring to the county. (Even considering the 1% or so of the sales tax that goes to the county, that adds up to significant Bills-related dollars, not to mention taxes on employees and the like...)

If the Bills cost close to what they bring, then they are a wash; even if they do not, the net amount would have to be less than suggested in the article, which reduces further the amount it costs every person in the county, and makes the argument moot.

One could of course argue that there should be no public funds at all expended, but one could also argue that all of us should be spending our time getting actual exercise rather than watching a bunch of gladiators do it for us, so let's leave that aside. Truth is, most of us do not visit the, parks, museums, or many other entertainment programs paid for by county tax dollars; that does not make them worthless, nor should it be the source of any carping by those who do not happen to use them. Improvements in general quality of life have a place in public budgets.

Besides, how much more expensive would it be for the county to maintain the Ralph when/if it becomes "The New All-High Stadium" in the event that the Bills leave? Just a thought for the gloomy guses out there... :lol: