Inground pool question

Gordio

What is the difference between chlorine & bromine? I have an inground pool & a sand base filter. I always in the past have used bromine but I have noticed that the tablets of chlorine are a bit cheaper. I am out of bromine & have to stop up at the pool store tonight. If there is no noticeable difference I might as well save a few bucks.

Gordio,

THis might not be an answer to your question but from my expeirience what you use absolutely does matter......

I was buying the cheap chlorine granules from wall mart to put in my pool and no matter what I did my pool always looked dirty......it made it impossible to actually clean the bottom because I couldn't get a good view of it.....

I took a suggestion and switched to DiChlor granules.....within 3 days my pool looked crystal blue (except for the bottom of the pool in some spots but that is a separate issue.

The DiChlor contains a conditioner that keeps the chlorine from getting burned off by the intense sunlight and heat.......made a huge difference.

Here's another suggestion...get rid of your sand filter and get a D.E. filter. I remember years ago when I was a first-time pool owner and I had a sand filter. Had to backwash it almost daily and the pool was always a hazy green. Meanwhile my neighbor's pool was sparkling. Found out he used a D.E. filter. That makes all the difference.

The reason is that a sand filter only has a filter surface as large as the diameter of the filter tank. A D.E. filter uses the entire cartridge surface which is like 100x larger. Plus a sand filter cannot filter anything smaller than a grain if sand, like algea. A D.E. filter gets it all.

Now you should also invest in good chemicals. I use a product called "Enjoy". It costs me a bundle but my pool is always sparkling now.

PTR

Thanks guys. My pool is clean, I can not complain about that. I just wanted to save a few bucks. The guy said for a 50 pnd bag of bromine it was going to be $175. The chlorine was about $130 he said.

I would not mind getting out of the sand filter. Had to change the sand this year. major pain in the balls. I have a pretty big pool so my filter needs 300pnds of sand. You think they would make the hole a little bigger to get the shopvac thru to vacuum the sand. It was an all day project.

What is the difference between chlorine & bromine? I have an inground pool & a sand base filter. I always in the past have used bromine but I have noticed that the tablets of chlorine are a bit cheaper. I am out of bromine & have to stop up at the pool store tonight. If there is no noticeable difference I might as well save a few bucks.

I don't think that the two are compatible. In other words, you can't just switch from one to the other without creating serious problems for the pool.

And I agree with what others have said . . .avoid the cheap stuff at Walmart, etc. Go to your local pool store and pay for the good stuff. It is a bit more expensive, but you won't regret it . . .

Linky thingy

Switching From Bromine to Chlorine:

If you wish to switch from bromine to a chlorine disinfectant and stabilizer for an outdoor pool or spa, the bromine concentration already in the water will interfere with cyanuric acid's ability to inhibit chlorine degradation by UV light.

To switch from bromine to stabilized chlorine treatment, pools must be partially or fully drained and refilled until they contain under 0.2 ppm of bromine.

I don't think that the two are compatible. In other words, you can't just switch from one to the other without creating serious problems for the pool.

And I agree with what others have said . . .avoid the cheap stuff at Walmart, etc. Go to your local pool store and pay for the good stuff. It is a bit more expensive, but you won't regret it . . .

Linky thingy

Switching From Bromine to Chlorine:

If you wish to switch from bromine to a chlorine disinfectant and stabilizer for an outdoor pool or spa, the bromine concentration already in the water will interfere with cyanuric acid's ability to inhibit chlorine degradation by UV light.

To switch from bromine to stabilized chlorine treatment, pools must be partially or fully drained and refilled until they contain under 0.2 ppm of bromine.

Thanks, I guess I will stop acting like a cheapskate & get the Bromine. Appreciate the advice.

I use the "Sustain" family of products. I only have to backwash once a week, as well as add chlorine once a week. Crystal clear water, no muss/fuss.

I highly recommend that stuff. Fairly expensive, but well worth it.