Another Bills preview Real GM, Jeff Risdon

More than your average analysis.

:thumbsup: Key 2008 Stats:

Turnover Ratio: -8

Sack Differential: -14

Point Differential: -6

3 Keys to the season:

1. Is Trent Edwards a legit franchise QB? He has the weaponry; it’s on his shoulders.

2. Can a very undersized back 7 on defense hold up and make enough plays? Last season they started strong, but crashed around Halloween.

3. The pass rush/sack differential. If they are -14 (or worse) again, they will be hard-pressed to come anywhere near last year’s 7 wins.

(don't read the forecast)

One thing that always gets overlooked from year-to-year is the development of existing players. Too much focus is spent on incoming players and outgoing players, but Buffalo was a relatively young team last year -- the 6th youngest in the league. Each returning player now has another valuable year of NFL experience and that can only be a good thing.

Williams' first year "gutted" team was 3-13...do the 2009 Bills resemble that team in any way?

No, I don't think so.

Had some questions as to whether he actually saw any of the Bills games, as he mentioned Roscoe as a dangerous slot receiver. Don't you actually have to have receptions to be called a threat? Also he has Butler at RG, when everything I have read has him at RT. I think 3-13 is low but unfortunately I not so sure they will repeat the 7-9 of the last 3 years, as this schedule could be a monster. I could see anywhere from 5-11 to 10-6 depending on how things develope. Obviously I'm hoping for 10-6.

Had some questions as to whether he actually saw any of the Bills games, as he mentioned Roscoe as a dangerous slot receiver. Don't you actually have to have receptions to be called a threat? Also he has Butler at RG, when everything I have read has him at RT. I think 3-13 is low but unfortunately I not so sure they will repeat the 7-9 of the last 3 years, as this schedule could be a monster. I could see anywhere from 5-11 to 10-6 depending on how things develope. Obviously I'm hoping for 10-6.

I honestly can agree with this, but I don't deem that so horrible given the circumstances.

3-13, though, is complete ineptitude.

I don't think this team is going to tie for the worst record in 24 years.

Not saying that the Bills won't win 7 games again, but it will be very difficult, given everything Mr Risdon mentions in his article. If things don't go their way in terms of the offensive line, the pass rush (sure hope the Bills finally have one), and w/ a tougher schedule, I don't think 3-13 is unrealistic. The key is going to be how quickly everyone can get w/ the program and whether or not the new additions to the team pan out. If those things happen, maybe we'll even see a winning season for the Bills. One can hope.

Here is the real forecast for the Buffalo Bills. The Bills are an 8-8 team much like 75% of the NFL. They need to hope 3 things go right for them.

1- Injuries- If the Bills get hit hard by injuries it could cost them 1-3 games. If they get lucky with injuries they can add 1-2 wins.

2- In Game Luck- If the Bills get a few calls and bounces their way they could add 1-2 games to their tally. If they get unlucky than they could add 1-3 losses.

3- Unexpected production- If guys like McCargo can step up and add in a piece we weren't expecting to the mix that could add a win maybe even 2 wins to the season.

Now 1 and 2 are more important than 3 (Duh) but honestly if you want the Bills to make the playoffs just hope they stay healthy get a few bounces and calls and than hope a few guys who weren't expected to do much produce. I honestly don't see the Bills going 3-13 but 5-11 is as low as I think they could go.

As for things like harder schedules (You don't know how hard the schedule is yet) and things like turnover and sack diff its a new season you have to pretty much just hit the reset button and hope the 3 factors go for your team.

Although the article mentions the sack differential, nothing was said about the turnover differential. If the Bills can go in the range of plus 12 to plus 15 next year, the wins will come. This stat is always overlooked, and can turn a .500 team into a very good one.

Although the article mentions the sack differential, nothing was said about the turnover differential. If the Bills can go in the range of plus 12 to plus 15 next year, the wins will come. This stat is always overlooked, and can turn a .500 team into a very good one.

Jauron has discussed this already he said the Bills are looking to IMPROVE in that area. :thumbsup: