2nd Stimulus?

Actually, what you did Magox was to take a quote, put it in quotation marks, and then EXCLUDE one word, "outside".

The actual quote you quoted was "The U.S. should consider drafting a second stimulus package focusing on infrastructure projects because the $787 billion approved in February was “a bit too small,” said Laura Tyson, an outside adviser to President Barack Obama."

The bold was mine.

Try backpedaling out of that.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we all agree, that whatever the reason and whomever is saying it, talk of a second stimulus now is about as stupid as coming to a politics forum and bitching that there is no sports talk?

Well, coming to a politics forum and bitching there is no sports talk is incomprehensibly stupid. There are a lot of very serious and celebrated economists who think we need a second stimulus plan. I don't know if we do or not but I would think we should wait until more than 10% of the money is spent before determining it.

Simply saying (again) that I would like the government to do something. I am do not want everyone to sit back and hope that the market eventually corrects itself. And by the time it does, what will have been lost?

Not saying that a 2nd stimulus is the correct way to go... looking for other options.

Do you feel any sympathy at all for the many people who feel differently? I am just wondering how deeply you want the government to "do things"? Are you completely lost or is there some part of you that rebels at the governmental power-grab?

Unemployment was going to go up to and past 10% by all estimates even AFTER the stimulus passed BTW. Saying that we need to steal more money to slow down unemployment that we all knew was coming is BS.

Actually, what you did Magox was to take a quote, put it in quotation marks, and then EXCLUDE one word, "outside".

The actual quote you quoted was "The U.S. should consider drafting a second stimulus package focusing on infrastructure projects because the $787 billion approved in February was “a bit too small,” said Laura Tyson, an outside adviser to President Barack Obama."

The bold was mine.

backpedaling out of what?

Talk about reaching for straws.

An outside economic advisor of Obama is still an advisor of Obama.

This sort of reminds me of the Reverse discrimination argument you had with Chef. Reverse discrimination is a type of discrimination.

Jeez Dog, you are desperate to pick a fight, and no matter how you slice it, what I had quoted, was a correct statement.

The bold was mine.

What the !@#$ is an "outside" advisor? :thumbdown:

Do you feel any sympathy at all for the many people who feel differently? I am just wondering how deeply you want the government to "do things"? Are you completely lost or is there some part of you that rebels at the governmental power-grab?

Unemployment was going to go up to and past 10% by all estimates even AFTER the stimulus passed BTW. Saying that we need to steal more money to slow down unemployment that we all knew was coming is BS.

I have to have sympathy for those who disagree? Why? Do they have sympathy when I disagree? No.

I do not believe that we should just sit back and HOPE that everything will correct itself before everything goes even more crazy.

Also Dog,

July 7 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. should consider drafting a second stimulus package focusing on infrastructure projects because the $787 billion approved in February was "a bit too small" said Laura Tyson, an adviser to President Barack Obama.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/07/s...s_n_226857.html

I didn't change it one bit, the article itself had adjusted. hence (update 2)

So there, how do you like that backpedal?

Hmmmphhh :thumbdown:

I have to have sympathy for those who disagree? Why? Do they have sympathy when I disagree? No.

Hey, just because I don't show sympathy for idiots, doesn't mean I don't have sympathy for idiots. You can't help being who you are. :thumbdown:

I find pointless this whole argument about whether Obama is considering it, an advisor to Obama, or an outside advisor.

I am flat against stimulus spending. HOWEVER, any president - particularly Obama, whose fortunes are linked to establishing that the first stimulus was neccessary - would be derelict in his responsibilities to not be discussing it as an option.

So the only interesting question here is: did Magox intentionally misquote the passage to tie the discussion closer to Obama?

You know like in the opening of the Flintstones when they stick the cat through the window and out of the house?

Oh, so she's one of the people I see camping out on the White House lawn?

Really...what kind of qualification of "advisor" is "outside"? I'm not trying to defend anyone's point of view here, I'm just questioning the term. Either you advise, or you don't. Right?

Also Dog,

July 7 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. should consider drafting a second stimulus package focusing on infrastructure projects because the $787 billion approved in February was "a bit too small" said Laura Tyson, an adviser to President Barack Obama.

I didn't change it one bit, the article itself had adjusted. hence (update 2)

So there, how do you like that backpedal?

Hmmmphhh :thumbdown:

Apparently, they realized the severe error of their ways and decided to make a much more correct statement. You chose to insist you were right. :thumbdown:

Really...what kind of qualification of "advisor" is "outside"? I'm not trying to defend anyone's point of view here, I'm just questioning the term. Either you advise, or you don't. Right?

I'm not sure, but isn't the difference whether or not you have a formal paid position in the administration?

I find pointless this whole argument about whether Obama is considering it, an advisor to Obama, or an outside advisor.

I am flat against stimulus spending. HOWEVER, any president - particularly Obama, whose fortunes are linked to establishing that the first stimulus was neccessary - would be derelict in his responsibilities to not be discussing it as an option.

So the only interesting question here is: did Magox intentionally misquote the passage to tie the discussion closer to Obama?

which I didn't

The article updated.

So, I think two things were proven here today

and that is that Dog is reaching for straws and that Asspushms is a displaced idiot!

Well, to me, surely there are different levels of advisors. There are White House officials who work there or spend a lot of time there, like Senior Advisors to the President (and a bunch of others). There is a second level who are members of appointed committees, like the economic advisory board. And then there are advisors who are known to the President (any President) and he considers them experts of some kind in their field and will seek their opinion on some matters but they hold no official capacity.

In this particular case, I would imagine that someone in the communications department at the White House saw that article, immediately called up the Bloomberg office and said, "Wait a minute, Tyson is not an official advisor to the President and she isn't speaking for us." So they changed it.

EDIT: For example, Tyson used to be the Chair of "The Counsel of Economic Advisors" during the Clinton Administration. If that were the case today, they probably couldn't distance themselves from her with the "outside" quote. ;) But she probably is one of a couple dozen economists the President and the Treasury department listen to.

I do believe that we should just sit back and HOPE that everything will correct itself before everything goes even more crazy.

Ah, so the rubber-and-glue rule guides your reasoning? That explains a lot.

My questions stands if you want to take an honest shot at it. Are you at all wary of the government spending and power grab when it "does something?"

Well, to me, surely there are different levels of advisors. There are White House officials who work there or spend a lot of time there, like Senior Advisors to the President (and a bunch of others). There is a second level who are members of appointed committees, like the economic advisory board. And then there are advisors who are known to the President (any President) and he considers them experts of some kind in their field and will seek their opinion on some matters but they hold no official capacity.

In this particular case, I would imagine that someone in the communications department at the White House saw that article, immediately called up the Bloomberg office and said, "Wait a minute, Tyson is not an advisor to the President and she isn't speaking for us." So they changed it.

No, I think the call went more like

"Hey, didn't you hear Biden's blunder, we can't look like fools here, if you could please say that she is an outside advisor, we would really appreciate it, and in the next press conference we promise to call on you guys"