So, why can't the Bills make the playoffs?

You know guys, I blame the negativity on the media and an endless flow of useless information that has little impact on how the Buffalo Bills will play in 2009-10.

A Playoff team can develop a sense of invincibility that can overcome some of the biggest obstacles in their path.

Some teams just sneak up on the fans when they least expect it, and average players become NFL stars.

There is no perfect plan or roster that can assure a playoff spot, its a team that builds confidence and will not accept defeat or failure that will make it to the playoffs.

We can blame the low expectations on the loss of Jason Peters or a perceived inferior coaching staff, yet I doubt either will be a major factor this upcoming season. The players will dictate their own fate for 2009.

So I ask you, why can't the Bills make the playoffs?

I can tell you this, the Miami Dolphins were not on anybodies list for the playoffs in 2008.

You know guys, I blame the negativity on the media and an endless flow of useless information that has little impact on how the Buffalo Bills will play in 2009-10.

A Playoff team can develop a sense of invincibility that can overcome some of the biggest obstacles in their path.

Some teams just sneak up on the fans when they least expect it, and average players become NFL stars.

There is no perfect plan or roster that can assure a playoff spot, its a team that builds confidence and will not accept defeat or failure that will make it to the playoffs.

We can blame the low expectations on the loss of Jason Peters or a perceived inferior coaching staff, yet I doubt either will be a major factor this upcoming season. The players will dictate their own fate for 2009.

1. The Patriots and Dolphins were better teams then us last year and don't see where we've closed the gap between us and them. Though the Dolphins might slip a little this year we still have to contend with teams like Baltimore, Cincy, Jacksonville, Indy for possible wild card spots and think all our better then us.

2. Dick Jauron is our HC. He has yet to show to be a playoff HC. Yes he had that one season in Chicago but all of his other seasons what has he shown?

3. Our O-line is a big time question mark, had we kept Jason Peters and left Walker at RT and Butler at RG I would have been more confident. Yet the idea of a completely reshuffled O-line doesn't bode well.

4. Our lack of a proven pass rush makes me worried about a defense that also is missing it's best cover CB from 2008 (Jabari Greer).

1. The Patriots and Dolphins were better teams then us last year and don't see where we've closed the gap between us and them. Though the Dolphins might slip a little this year we still have to contend with teams like Baltimore, Cincy, Jacksonville, Indy for possible wild card spots and think all our better then us.

2. Dick Jauron is our HC. He has yet to show to be a playoff HC. Yes he had that one season in Chicago but all of his other seasons what has he shown?

3. Our O-line is a big time question mark, had we kept Jason Peters and left Walker at RT and Butler at RG I would have been more confident. Yet the idea of a completely reshuffled O-line doesn't bode well.

4. Our lack of a proven pass rush makes me worried about a defense that also is missing it's best cover CB from 2008 (Jabari Greer).

Dick Jauron may not be a great coach but its in the players hands as in Chicago.

I agree coaching is important, but the NFL is loaded with average head coaches that seem to make it to the playoffs

Sure we have question marks, yet I am not going to write them off as negative just yet!

If the Bills for 16 games can just keep it close going into the final minute when they also retain possession and get within field goal range in good weather and don't commit a last second turnover they have a real chance of going 7-9.

1. Just as the Bills came back to earth, so shall the Pats* why not this year? They are an OLD team that is now a year older & Brady is coming off an injury. Granted they will be using HGH.

2.Can't argue that point.

3.I think this O-line will outplay last years.

4. Schobel is healthy & we have Maybin, the pass rush should be much improved. While I like Greer had he stayed in Buffalo he would have likely been the 3rd CB. I expect McKelvin to have a better year than Greer did last year.

If Trent plays as well as his fans expect him to, the Bills will make the Playoffs. GO BILLS :censored:

Cincy has not been good for quite some time under Marvin Lewis---no reason for that to change...

Jacksonville was pretty crappy last year as well...was it an aberration or a sign of more to come...

Baltimore and Indy are definitely gonna be tough teams as well...however, I think the Bills have as good a chance as any other AFC team of sneaking in and grabbing a WC berth, as long as Jauron doesn't ruin everything at the end of games with crazy decisions...

I like it!

You shouldn't. It's The Senator's annual kiss of death for the Bills. He is making that stupid prediction earlier every year, so we can give up hope early.

I will tell you why. Poor to Aveage QB play will keep us out again. This is a quarterback driven league. Teams that consistantly make the Playoffs have consistant QB's. Ours have been pretty sorry since the great Jim Kelly, Flutie Flakes was OK and got us some W's. Since then it has been a joke. If Edwards can step up his game we have a chance. I'm not sure he can do any better than he has shown so far, and that has been average at best.

we need more power plays on D (sacks, fumbles, interceptions), and more TDs on O (which means the passing game, although the running game is a growing strength and will help). now trent needs to step up in a big way, and our young oline needs to be stout, and our new DE and FS have to make a positive contribution.

all that said, trent is older and wiser, our "talent" on the o line played poorly last year, and we are adding a rookie with huge speed in the pass rush and aaron schoble should be back and healthy, adding a ton to our pass rush. on O (where we really need the improvement, and where we get the most results for each unit of improvement) hardy, jackson, and trent are all a bit older and better, and we add TO to compliment evans.

IMO that is what is going to make our O good, our special teams will still be great, and our D will be good as well. that's plenty to get us to the play offs. now we just have to do it.

I can tell you this, the Miami Dolphins were not on anybodies list for the playoffs in 2008.

They can. It's just a very low probability shot. Every one of the 32 teams could make the playoffs if the balls bounce right and everything falls into place. But you have to give some of those 32 teams a less than 1% chance. If we had last year's schedule, I'd put us at close to 50%, but our schedule is a bear, so I put it at around 10 - 20% (a guesstimation, clearly).

I agree coaching is important, but the NFL is loaded with average head coaches that seem to make it to the playoffs

So what does that make a coach who has a nine year record of 57 wins in 133 games and only made the playoffs one time? just asking... because that would seem to be just a little below average which is okay, if that is what you are happy with.

Coaching Results

Year Team Won Lost W-L%

1999 Chicago Bears 6 10 0.375

2000 Chicago Bears 5 11 0.313

2001 Chicago Bears 13 3 0.813

2002 Chicago Bears 4 12 0.250

2003 Chicago Bears 7 9 0.438

2005 Detroit Lions 1 4 0.200

2006 Buffalo Bills 7 9 0.438

2007 Buffalo Bills 7 9 0.438

2008 Buffalo Bills 7 9 0.438

9 yrs 57 76 0.429

5 yrs CHI 35 45 0.438

3 yrs BUF 21 27 0.438

1 yr DET 1 4 0.200

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/JaurDi0.htm

If the Bills for 16 games can just keep it close going into the final minute when they also retain possession and get within field goal range in good weather and don't commit a last second turnover they have a real chance of going 7-9.

+1

So what does that make a coach who has a nine year record of 57 wins in 133 games and only made the playoffs one time? just asking... because that would seem to be just a little below average which is okay, if that is what you are happy with.

Coaching Results

Year Team Won Lost W-L%

1999 Chicago Bears 6 10 0.375

2000 Chicago Bears 5 11 0.313

2001 Chicago Bears 13 3 0.813

2002 Chicago Bears 4 12 0.250

2003 Chicago Bears 7 9 0.438

2005 Detroit Lions 1 4 0.200

2006 Buffalo Bills 7 9 0.438

2007 Buffalo Bills 7 9 0.438

2008 Buffalo Bills 7 9 0.438

9 yrs 57 76 0.429

5 yrs CHI 35 45 0.438

3 yrs BUF 21 27 0.438

1 yr DET 1 4 0.200

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/JaurDi0.htm

10 years as a HC, time to get him his ring.

They can. It's just a very low probability shot. Every one of the 32 teams could make the playoffs if the balls bounce right and everything falls into place. But you have to give some of those 32 teams a less than 1% chance. If we had last year's schedule, I'd put us at close to 50%, but our schedule is a bear, so I put it at around 10 - 20% (a guesstimation, clearly).

Yeah, big difference between the two West divisions (last year) and the two Souths (this year). Granted our division foes have the same problem (Miami will come back to earth this year) but there's still that team we haven't beaten in six years who finished 4 games better with their backup QB with a tougher schedule than ours last year.

As far as the negative media is concerned, if you're keeping score the last nine years it's:

Negative media - 9

TBD homers - 0

I suppose the latter has to be right one of these years.

I will tell you exactly why they haven't. Look at that 2 minute clip on youtube when the Bills came from behind and beat Miami in 1989 (I hope I got the year right). Watch that two minutes of film. Watch Kelly. Watch Reed. Watch Levy. Watch Marchibroda (I hope I got that right too). There was something in that team and those people that hasn't been seen since. Call it what you want.....intensity, drive, never-say-die, refuse to lose. There is nothing remotely like that attitude on this team. Not counting the bona fide superstars, the difference between the capabilities of the majority of the players is not all that great. It's that "refuse to lose" attitude and it is MIA on this team, from the top down.

I know I will get a lot of rebuttal posts and so be it. Buffalo hasn't fielded the most capable players and while that is true, it's not the whole story. The attitude, the fire, the intensity and the will to win hasn't been in this team for many years, from the coaches down to the players. Someone needs to step up and light the fuse. Attitude is like a fire in a Kleenex factory.

For God's sake, someone light the goddam FIRE.

I will tell you exactly why they haven't. Look at that 2 minute clip on youtube when the Bills came from behind and beat Miami in 1989 (I hope I got the year right). Watch that two minutes of film. Watch Kelly. Watch Reed. Watch Levy. Watch Marchibroda (I hope I got that right too). There was something in that team and those people that hasn't been seen since. Call it what you want.....intensity, drive, never-say-die, refuse to lose. There is nothing remotely like that attitude on this team. Not counting the bona fide superstars, the difference between the capabilities of the majority of the players is not all that great. It's that "refuse to lose" attitude and it is MIA on this team, from the top down.

I know I will get a lot of rebuttal posts and so be it. Buffalo hasn't fielded the most capable players and while that is true, it's not the whole story. The attitude, the fire, the intensity and the will to win hasn't been in this team for many years, from the coaches down to the players. Someone needs to step up and light the fuse. Attitude is like a fire in a Kleenex factory.

For God's sake, someone light the goddam FIRE.

Yeah, I'm sure teams with a lot of attitude and bad talent go really far.