Best ways to save money during college...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice. Yea, we have to pay 79 dollars to see a mediocre team play other average C-USA teams (but they do play UB on September 19th). Do you know who I should contact to volunteer? Also, this question may be totally stupid, but, what is a slingbox?

to volunteer, I would contact the athletic office as soon as possible. They will put you in contact with the right people.

Slingbox is a device that attaches to your television and internet and enables the user to broadcast what they are watching to others on the internet. its nice if you are on a work trip and want to watch something from home, just connect to the slingbox ip and view away. Usually someone on here posts a slingbox address for each home game.

People really need to read medications even OTC stuff before taking. would solve a lot of issues, but then again, maybe its Darwinism at work

It crosses all levels of society.

A year or so ago, I was pushing a grocery cart around my local Meijer's grocery store. There was a presentable lady (30 years old, my estimate), barking on a cell phone, saying that she got a real good pain killer (Aleve) for her kid.

She finished, and fool that I am, I said that Aleve - naproxen - is a very strong compound, and generally not for children.

If looks could kill... :thumbsup:

Take your cell phone down to the absolute minimum. No texting, internet.

If you don't have a car - don't get one. If you have one - get rid of it and get a bike / walk.

Limit your partying to 1 to 2 nights / week.

Don't go on spring break.

Okay, first two I can live with..last two are not so much :thumbsup:

Been 23 years since i was last in college, but hopefully worth something here.

I would absolutely go meal plan first year at school. As someone mentioned, I would think at least 90% of first year non-commuter students have a meal plan, including the very hot and lonely first year GIRL students!!!

Buy yourself a fry daddy(if allowed where you will be living). Potatos are very cheap, and when the urge hits at 3.00 AM for something to eat, nothing better than fries and whatever you want to put on top of them, way cheaper than wings,subs, pizza etc. Plus if you fish, you can make your own fish and chips(and yes i did this several times in school)

No dinners on dates( i dunno, i do not even think you need to date, thats what partiees are for). However, if you must,you will be in Florida, dates are on the beach, or a walk, or a bike ride or fishing or rollerblading etc. This is no Godly reason why you should have to spend money on a date whilst a fresman in college.

Will post as I think of more

Not only in college but at any time in life keep a quick set of notes on whwere you spend money and how much. If you are like most people you will be amazed at how much coin you waste on stuff you really do not need and in some cases really do not want. It is the seemingly small stuff $5 and under that will blow your mind. Over the course of a month you'll fing that you've thrown $100 - $200 out the window on a starbucks, slice of za and other crap that maybe really did not want all in $5 increments.

The other thing is do not get hooked on credit cards - set yourself up with limits & budget and pay cash.

Not only in college but at any time in life keep a quick set of notes on whwere you spend money and how much. If you are like most people you will be amazed at how much coin you waste on stuff you really do not need and in some cases really do not want. It is the seemingly small stuff $5 and under that will blow your mind. Over the course of a month you'll fing that you've thrown $100 - $200 out the window on a starbucks, slice of za and other crap that maybe really did not want all in $5 increments.

The other thing is do not get hooked on credit cards - set yourself up with limits & budget and pay cash.

I most definitely will do this.

Don't go on spring break.

Okay, look. Let's not get stupid here. You've gotta do Spring Break. I don't care how much money you save skipping it, college ain't college without contests that include drunk chicks, wet t-shirts and banana eating.

Okay, first two I can live with..last two are not so much :thumbsup:

Been 23 years since i was last in college, but hopefully worth something here.

I would absolutely go meal plan first year at school. As someone mentioned, I would think at least 90% of first year non-commuter students have a meal plan, including the very hot and lonely first year GIRL students!!!

Buy yourself a fry daddy(if allowed where you will be living). Potatos are very cheap, and when the urge hits at 3.00 AM for something to eat, nothing better than fries and whatever you want to put on top of them, way cheaper than wings,subs, pizza etc. Plus if you fish, you can make your own fish and chips(and yes i did this several times in school)

No dinners on dates( i dunno, i do not even think you need to date, thats what partiees are for). However, if you must,you will be in Florida, dates are on the beach, or a walk, or a bike ride or fishing or rollerblading etc. This is no Godly reason why you should have to spend money on a date whilst a fresman in college.

Will post as I think of more

I'm surprised you weren't beaten to a pulp by the folks you selfishly imposed upon with the languishing stink of your continual frying.

:angry:

Okay, look. Let's not get stupid here. You've gotta do Spring Break. I don't care how much money you save skipping it, college ain't college without contests that include drunk chicks, wet t-shirts and banana eating.

Wasn't that formerly called "Easter Vacation"?

I'm surprised you weren't beaten to a pulp by the folks you selfishly imposed upon with the languishing stink of your continual frying.

:angry:

Also, I must add that after freshman year, get in a house with at least 5 guys. But yourself a CO2 system, get on Craigslist and look for an old fridge and build yoursel a kegerator. At least back in da day, keg beer was about 1/3 the cost of bottled beer. And trust me, 5 college guys plus friends, the keg ain't getting stale. This is the setup we had for the last three years I was in school

Cinci... Think the smell of grease sizzlin at 3 in the AM was not pure joy to the wrestler chuckleheads on the other side of the duplex ?. And let me tell you, a can of microwaved chili on said fries is a little slice of heaven for less than a $1 back then. AND, i might add, a great line to get a little chickey poo back to your place at 3.00 AM...Hey, I got a great idea, lets go have some chili fries and I am buyin!!!!!! Add in the fact if ya build a kegerator you can also have beer after all the parties/bars have shut down.. now your talking money saving as well as enjoyment enhancing.

Let me tell ya, it works on drunk coeds :thumbsup:

Also, I must add that after freshman year, get in a house with at least 5 guys. But yourself a CO2 system, get on Craigslist and look for an old fridge and build yoursel a kegerator. At least back in da day, keg beer was about 1/3 the cost of bottled beer. And trust me, 5 college guys plus friends, the keg ain't getting stale. This is the setup we had for the last three years I was in school

Cinci... Think the smell of grease sizzlin at 3 in the AM was not pure joy to the wrestler chuckleheads on the other side of the duplex ?. And let me tell you, a can of microwaved chili on said fries is a little slice of heaven for less than a $1 back then. AND, i might add, a great line to get a little chickey poo back to your place at 3.00 AM...Hey, I got a great idea, lets go have some chili fries and I am buyin!!!!!! Add in the fact if ya build a kegerator you can also have beer after all the parties/bars have shut down.. now your talking money saving as well as enjoyment enhancing.

Let me tell ya, it works on drunk coeds :thumbsup:

:wallbash:

Ah, what fun we have here, eh? :angry:

DON'T GET A CREDIT CARD! One of the biggest mistakes college students make is charging up a bunch of money and end up deeply in debt buying crap they don't need. Credit is way too easy to get and it's a great way to screw up your life before it gets started.