Trade Whitner while we still can

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend this article (linked on the front of TBD) for those who believe Whitner will play FS and only FS this season:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...44-3da5c8a3182b

Excerpt:

Jairus Byrd

It’s clear that Buffalo’s defensive staff thinks an awful lot of Byrd’s ability to make plays on the ball. With a former two-time Pro Bowl defensive back as a father and natural instincts, defensive backs coach George Catavolos is determined to make Byrd as ready as possible for the NFL game as he transitions to free safety...

...And if his playmaking instincts reveal themselves in the camp setting and the preseason even Donte Whitner is fairly confident he’ll be relinquishing the starting free safety spot sooner rather than later.

“I will get the opportunity to play free safety,” said Whitner. “Actually I probably won’t even stay at free safety because they drafted Jairus Byrd. They want him to play some free safety. Coach Fewell likes me at both, but they like him at free so we’ll see.”

If Byrd is ready to start at some point in the season, Donte will be back at SS (assuming he is healthy). Donte's position moves have never been about a problem with Donte. They are about utilizing Donte's versatility to fill the most pressing hole, and get the best combo of available DBs in the field.

I recommend this article (linked on the front of TBD) for those who believe Whitner will play FS and only FS this season:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...44-3da5c8a3182b

Excerpt:

If Byrd is ready to start at some point in the season, Donte will be back at SS (assuming he is healthy). Donte's position moves have never been about a problem with Donte. They are about utilizing Donte's versatility to fill the most pressing hole, and get the best combo of available DBs in the field.

So that basically said he's even confident he will lose his job to a rookie. Nice post deano, way to back up your claim about how whitner doesn't suck. By the way your post sucks to!

I'd have to go back and look at film but I don't remember Whitner being in coverage on Tight Ends very often. As far as "playing small", the guy played at least half of last season with one arm virtually dislocated from the shoulder socket. I'm gonna go ahead and forgive him for that.

As far as his athletic ability and football instincts go: I'm quite sure there would be a whole bunch of teams with much better defenses than ours who would love to have Donte Whitner and would actually put him in a position to succeed, instead of using him to cover weaknesses in the Front Seven - which the BILLS have been doing for 3 seasons now.

But go ahead and keep regurgitating the standard talk radio garbage. We both know what you know. If Troy Polamalu played in Buffalo everyone would be whining that he's always out of position and needs to cut his hair.

Dude, you proved my point. He is always going to be playing banged up, because he is too small. Please start your own Donte Whitner fan club

So that basically said he's even confident he will lose his job to a rookie. Nice post deano, way to back up your claim about how whitner doesn't suck. By the way your post sucks to!

and another troll gets added to the ignore list.....

Dude, you proved my point. He is always going to be playing banged up, because he is too small. Please start your own Donte Whitner fan club

You do realize that Jairus Byrd and Whitner are the same size on paper? And you expect more out of Byrd?

Will you PLEASE go eat some crayonz..... :censored:

He's missed 5 games in 3 years. That is above average for an NFL player.

He's missed 5 games in 3 years. That is above average for an NFL player.

...and when he is not injured, he plays most every defensive down.

Whitner has been a HUGE disappointment

Regardless of where he was picked, he is below average at best. The 8th overall pick should be a difference maker. Anything less then that is a let down. When is the last time you were watching a game and said to yourself: "Wow! Whitner really stepped up there and made a big play to save the defense." He has managed a pitiful 2 INT's.

You guys bring up his tackles but I think that just shows how bad this defense has been- which Whitner is a part of.

He never makes big plays. He gets run over by RB's. As another poster pointed out, the Cover 2 defense optimizes the SS. I believe that was OBD's motivation for blowing the 8th overall pick on him: "We're switching to the Cover 2 so lets reach for a SS". Even though the most important element of the Cover 2 is your front fours ability to get to the QB on their own. Ngata would have been a massive help in that category eating up blockers. He is a key piece of Baltimore's consistently amazing defense.

The only reason that supposed NFL media "guru's" speak highly of Whitner is because they recall he was a top 10 pick and assume he is good. They don't watch the majority of the games.

Regardless of where he was picked, he is below average at best. The 8th overall pick should be a difference maker. Anything less then that is a let down. When is the last time you were watching a game and said to yourself: "Wow! Whitner really stepped up there and made a big play to save the defense." He has managed a pitiful 2 INT's.

You guys bring up his tackles but I think that just shows how bad this defense has been- which Whitner is a part of.

He never makes big plays. He gets run over by RB's. As another poster pointed out, the Cover 2 defense optimizes the SS. I believe that was OBD's motivation for blowing the 8th overall pick on him: "We're switching to the Cover 2 so lets reach for a SS". Even though the most important element of the Cover 2 is your front fours ability to get to the QB on their own. Ngata would have been a massive help in that category eating up blockers. He is a key piece of Baltimore's consistently amazing defense.

The only reason that supposed NFL media "guru's" speak highly of Whitner is because they recall he was a top 10 pick and assume he is good. They don't watch the majority of the games.

Whitner did not seem to be at 100% last year...but trade him for a third round pick?

Wonder where Ngata was on the Bill's draft board?

Stupid.

You were a better poster when you weren't posting. :rolleyes:

Stupid.

You were a better poster when you weren't posting. :rolleyes:

Actually crapbiscuit his post was right on. Especially the part about "experts" think he is good because they recall he was picked in the top 10. Crap Biscuit you and Michael Irvin have the same line of thinking. Did you just buy the crack or smoke it to?

As the #8 pick -- you would expect more. I think this is reasonable. Yes, his supporting cast has been pathetic. The defensive groups for the last 15 years have been a colelction of scrubs. With no pressure up front (they had a SAD 24 sacks last season (28 th in the National League)), any backfield looks worse than they are.

Donte is a servicable player -- but not a difference maker on the field. He doesn't seem to elevate the players around him whatsoever. When the Giants beat the Bills in Bflo. two years ago, Donte took a terrible angle at Brandon Jacobs on a long TD run. He looked scared to tackle the hulking RB. That was all I needed to see. I say we unload him. His salary is insane. Look at his cap hit this season, you will faint when you see it...

His salary is insane. Look at his cap hit this season, you will faint when you see it...

And you don't know what you are talking about.

His salary is fairly low, $2,355,000. His higher cap hit is a result of Amortized Bonuses, and those hit the cap whether or not Donte is with the team. His hit on cash-to-cap looks to be under $3 mil, this year.

Donte will make almost $3 mil. ($2.9 something) this season. Langston Walker will make about $5.4-8 mil. Who is more valuable to you every play?

Are you going to address the botched Jacobs tackle, not making players around you better, the lack of pressure up front, why the BIlls only had 24 sacks last season, or anything else in the post?

Or are you simply going to cherry pick (ala a Ray Sheppard goal) one area of my post -- as you did -- and call it a day?

Rather bold of you to say "and you don't know what you are talking about" -- when you only nip at one area of the post with a subjective answer (i.e., who is to say $3 mil. is a lot of money to pay a safety or not -- what objective standard do we use?).

And you don't know what you are talking about.

His salary is fairly low, $2,355,000. His higher cap hit is a result of Amortized Bonuses, and those hit the cap whether or not Donte is with the team. His hit on cash-to-cap looks to be under $3 mil, this year.

Donte will make almost $3 mil. ($2.9 something) this season. Langston Walker will make about $5.4-8 mil. Who is more valuable to you every play?

Are you going to address the botched Jacobs tackle, not making players around you better, the lack of pressure up front, why the BIlls only had 24 sacks last season, or anything else in the post?

Or are you simply going to cherry pick (ala a Ray Sheppard goal) one area of my post -- as you did -- and call it a day?

Rather bold of you to say "and you don't know what you are talking about" -- when you only nip at one area of the post with a subjective answer (i.e., who is to say $3 mil. is a lot of money to pay a safety or not -- what objective standard do we use?).

Whitner's salary in 2009 is exactly as I posted, $2,355,000. His hit against the cash-to-cap is almost $3 million. That isn't high for your starting SS or FS, especially one that can play either, or CB in the nickel and dime, as he has done often in his time with the Bills.

Whitner, like EVERY other NFL player has missed a tackle, or two, in his career. He rarely takes bad angles, and you have found one play where he did. Bravo! Talk about cherry picking.

The mere fact that Whitner has played out of position for much of his Bills career (adapting to do whatever the Bills need him to do), and the defensive backfield has remains strong, despite injuries to the DBs and a poor pass rush, suggests Donte is making the players around him better. If you judge a DB by interceptions, then Whitner isn't your guy.

That was from last year, when Whitner's salary was a little bit higher than it is for 2009. Still, as you can see, he is a relative bargain, at the position.

Yes, that was my point.

There are quite a few safeties making more than DW, some of whom are not as good (who the hell is Clinton Hart?).

Yes, that was my point.

There are quite a few safeties making more than DW, some of whom are not as good (who the hell is Clinton Hart?).

Yes, I figured that was your point. I was pointing it out to the "expert" who has mis-stated his salary, and focuses on one bad play... then talks about cherry-picking.