Bills owner Wilson won't yet consider adding Toronto games

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, Channel 7 ran a piece about this in their news segment tonight, then led sports with it. Good pub for The AP -- and they even left your name on the story on their Web site. :thumbsup:

By "good mood" and "upbeat," I gather that he's recovered from the shoulder injury and feeling reasonably well for a man 90 years young?

And I'm glad that things worked out for today; I was worried you wouldn't be able to reschedule it.

Mr. Wilson reports that left arm is still a little sore but feeling better. otherwise, he's getting around well and had some very insightful reflections and humorous stories discussing T.O., the AFL-NFL merger and other topics.

i can also report that Mary Wilson has taken up golf and has proven to be a bit of a natural. she shot a 42 over front 9 last week. 42! and she just started. i'm lucky if i don't get to 42 through 6. :thumbsup:

jw

42? Holy crap. Only place I ever shot 42 for nine holes was on a par-3 course. But then again, she's always been a great athlete (all those tennis titles), so it stands to reason. Good to hear that Ralph is doing well, and it sounds like he gave you plenty of stories to write.

I was on phish tour in Wisconsin last weekend and I was wearing a Bills shirt and I ran into a dude in the parking lot who asked me if I was a Bills fan and I said, "obviously," and he said that one of his best friends was a Bills player during the early 90's and asked me if I knew who he was and I said, "obviously" and he said do you want me to call him and you can talk to him? So I said "of course." So next thing you know I'm on the phone with a Bills player, who was by no means a glorious player, but a player we all know and in my drunken stupor (no drugs mind you), I could think of three things to ask him: first, "Dude I had season tickets from 87-94, how insane were Bills fans back then?" To which he said, yes, they were in fact, insane. Second, "do you still keep in touch with any of the guys?" To which he said, "Not really, just Jim and Kent." And finally, "do you think Jim Kelly really has a plan to keep the Bills in Buffalo?" To which he said, "Absolutely yes." That's all I got. True story.

So I guess 'torontobills2010' will have to change his troll name to

'possibly_maybe_toronto_bills_sometime_in_the_very_distant_future_if_at_all'???

They can't sell out one game in Canada's largest city, yet here in BuffTown we sell 55K season tix. :cry:

Looks like Ralph is far from convinced that Toronto is a legitimate NFL market, but I'm sure he's happy to take their money while establishing Toronto as part of his market should anyone else even think of infringing.

That Ralph - crazy like a fox. :w00t:

So I guess 'torontobills2010' will have to change his troll name to

'possibly_maybe_toronto_bills_sometime_in_the_very_distant_future_if_at_all'???

They can't sell out one game in Canada's largest city, yet here in BuffTown we sell 55K season tix. :thumbsup:

Looks like Ralph is far from convinced that Toronto is a legitimate NFL market, but I'm sure he's happy to take their money while establishing Toronto as part of his market should anyone else even think of infringing.

That Ralph - crazy like a fox. :rolleyes:

What I'm wondering, Senator, is why it takes an article like this for some people (not you) to realize that Ralph just might know what he's doing with this whole Toronto thing.

What I'm wondering, Senator, is why it takes an article like this for some people (not you) to realize that Ralph just might know what he's doing with this whole Toronto thing.

no kidding...especially when it was told to us from the start what the whole Toronto thing was about in the 1st place

Because most in Buffalo want to fear the worst.

I know - folks also said Ralph was a senile old fool when he & Brown were the only owners that raised questions about the CBA, and now they all 'want out'. :angry:

As I've maintained from the beginning, Ralph has now established that Toronto is part of the Bills' market - anyone that wants to either expand or relocate there now owes Ralph some $$$$. Increases the value of Ralph's franchise, and puts a quick $80M in his pocket. We should all be that senile. :wallbash:

At least the trolls will shut up for a while. :thumbsup:

I know - folks also said Ralph was a senile old fool when he & Brown were the only owners that raised questions about the CBA, and now they all 'want out'. :angry:

As I've maintained from the beginning, Ralph has now established that Toronto is part of the Bills' market - anyone that wants to either expand or relocate there now owes Ralph some $$$$. Increases the value of Ralph's franchise, and puts a quick $80M in his pocket. We should all be that senile. :wallbash:

At least the trolls will shut up for a while. :thumbsup:

Hah, you don't honestly believe that last part, do you?

As for the rest of it, spot-on.

as Quixotic is Mr. Wilson sometimes is, i have always gotten the sense that he has a keen eye for business, especially when it comes to the Bills, as well as the business of the NFL. he's been on enough committees and involved in so many talks -- 1977 labor talks, talks with former Colts owner Carroll Rosenbloom (which established the framework of the AFL-NFL merger) to name a few -- to understand and have a historical perspective on what makes sense.

i'm not saying that all of his decisions have been fruitful and some somewhat frustrating to Bills fans (the uncertainty of what happens after he's gone), but Mr. Wilson is not in the dark -- not even close -- as some make him out to be.

jw

as Quixotic is Mr. Wilson sometimes is, i have always gotten the sense that he has a keen eye for business, especially when it comes to the Bills, as well as the business of the NFL. he's been on enough committees and involved in so many talks -- 1977 labor talks, talks with former Colts owner Carroll Rosenbloom (which established the framework of the AFL-NFL merger) to name a few -- to understand and have a historical perspective on what makes sense.

i'm not saying that all of his decisions have been fruitful and some somewhat frustrating to Bills fans (the uncertainty of what happens after he's gone), but Mr. Wilson is not in the dark -- not even close -- as some make him out to be.

jw

let's also not neglect to mention that Ralph bailed out al davis & the raiders, and billy sullivan & the cheatriettes* when they were on the verge of 'going under'. (too bad he didn't let the NE* franchise fail!)

if any owner belongs in the HOF, certainly Ralph Wilson does.

let's also not neglect to mention that Ralph bailed out al davis & the raiders, and billy sullivan & the cheatriettes* when they were on the verge of 'going under'. (too bad he didn't let the NE* franchise fail!)

if any owner belongs in the HOF, certainly Ralph Wilson does.

without going into too much detail, bailing out the raiders was considered key to preserving the reputation of the upstart AFL, which didn't need to have a team fold at such an early stage. shrewd move, which certainly paid off.

jw

without going into too much detail, bailing out the raiders was considered key to preserving the reputation of the upstart AFL, which didn't need to have a team fold at such an early stage. shrewd move, which certainly paid off.

jw

indeed...

"Wilson was a pillar of the league, fielding the only AFL team that went to postseason play for four consecutive years, 1963–1966. The Buffalo Bills won the league championship in 1964 and 1965. Wilson made professional football a resounding success in a "small market," signing such stars as Cookie Gilchrist, Jack Kemp, and Tom Sestak and Hall of Famer Billy Shaw.

He was a guiding force in AFL policies that ensured success, such as gate and television revenue sharing; in 1961, with the rival Oakland Raiders in financial difficulty, Wilson loaned the club $400,000 and also would be willing to loan money to Billy Sullivan of the Patriots. Wilson helped keep those franchises afloat, likely saving the entire league from folding."

link

and this is because Mr. Wilson jumped at all the opportunities to relocate the team? oh, wait, it's still in Orchard Park ... right.

keep drinking the cheap rot gut. we're talking about games in Toronto, not relocating. just remember, this is 2009, not the 1960's.